My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HRM215 that I purchased in 1994. Runs like a watch. Today, I had someone offer me an HRX217 with only about two hours on it. I just tuned up the HRM215, put new rear wheels on it and new blades.

Anyone have an opinion either way? This will be my regular mower. Both are self-propelled. If I sell the HRM215, what do you think is a good price? I was thinking $225. It looks like it came out of the box yesterday.

Opinions welcome!

·
Registered
972 Posts
hrx217 is not a good mower. The GCV engine has an aluminum bore with no iron liner. The old GXV's are much stronger.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,787 Posts
Do you run yours commercially? Have a 5 acre estate you mow? Etc? If you are just an average Joe doing your home I would say get the one that makes you happy to use it. An average homeowner can make the cheapest mower last a long time. Now if you run your mowers into the ground trying to do a commercial workload be more selective for the long term.
It sounds like you invest plenty into maintenance and upkeep so you would keep it running no matter what you decide. Personally I would keep the one you have since you already refurbished it to like new unless you just dont like it. You already know its dependability.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can get the HRX217 for $225. It has everything but the electric start. I like the idea of the variable speed drive. Any ideas what I could get for the HRM215?

My yard is not large. 1/4 acre suburban lot. Takes about forty-five minutes to mow. So I won't be mowing the south forty with the either.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
What engine does the HRM215 have? If it has the GXV-series engine, I'd probably keep that one, as it's going to be a more durable engine than the GCV-series engine on the HRX mower. I have both engines, the GXV140 on an HR215 and the GCV160 on my Lawn-Boy (it was a transplant from a Sears Craftsman) and the GXV is definitely a smoother-running engine. Both are nice, but it's also like comparing apples to oranges.

Given that you'd have to pay so much for the HRX, and you may or may not get that out of your HRM (I'd think $150-200 tops for a sale price on the HRM), I'd keep what you have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts