My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Got her stuck, for the first time this morning! :mad:

Got her stuck in my neighbors' 'extra' parking.
My neighbors are ~80 years old, we share a 'U' shaped driveway, I have the equipment, so I clear both of our yards, as well as about 500'of highway frontage - to make the postal inspector happy. I got into some soft stuff, that I haven't cleared before, and ended up 'high-centered' on the snow. She wouldn't move!
The drawback to clearing snow, at oh-dark-30, is that there is nobody up and about to give you a hand...
Jeep Liberty to the rescue! :)

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,442 Posts
I've heard it said you aren't really having fun until you get stuck (or almost stuck). At least it was an easy fix.

·
blinged out
1,376 Posts
I was edjumacated the first season with the x500, don't drive it where you havn't cleared!

I have a 3500lb winch on the back of the x500 and I've needed it couple times but not for snow! usually it's cutting a wet ditch and getting the deck hung up! and then for pulling my boat in the shelter frontwards so I can work on the motors near the door! I run the winch cable through a small hole in the back of shelter and pull it in!
I've had to recover the x540 from falling in the waste lagoon when cutting the banks! gator to the rescue wasn't taking any chances of making it a really crappy day!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I grew up on a farm with a 1/4 mile long lane (drive way) and I learned very early in life if you got stuck you got yourself out. Always carried a snow shovel in the trunk of my work car as well as jumper cables, can't count the number of times I helped someone get there car started after setting in the cold parking lot all day after work.

·
Jerk of all trades
261 Posts
Funny I was wonder if my tractor could pull my truck out of the snow if it got stuck .. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Lucky you have an X748 to pull that Jeep out of a spot!! 😁

Reactions: donmac and Shack01

·
22,501 Posts
Funny I was wonder if my tractor could pull my truck out of the snow if it got stuck .. :whistle:
If the tractor has enough ballast and chains, no problem.

My wife's 6000 lb truck slid the rear end into a foot deep snow filled ditch one day and my MF1655 walked it right out. That tractor and operator weighed 2450 lb at the time, with about 1500 lb sitting on the rear tires.

Your tractors are quite a bit lighter, but with proper ballasting, they will do amazing things. If you don't try, you'll never know.

Reactions: smcgill

·
Registered
453 Posts
Glad you got her out ok. I know my X590 is a beast compared to the LA165 it replaced and that attitude as gotten me very close to stuck in one neighbor's driveway a couple of times this winter. Luckily my truck is just a short walk away but hopefully I won't have to take that walk!

Reactions: Shack01

·
Premium Member
9,875 Posts
Glad you got her out ok. I know my X590 is a beast compared to the LA165 it replaced and that attitude as gotten me very close to stuck in one neighbor's driveway a couple of times this winter. Luckily my truck is just a short walk away but hopefully I won't have to take that walk!
Ah yes, the walk of shame!

·
Super Moderator
16,758 Posts
Ah yes, the walk of shame!
Never Have had to do that with a Tractor But Managed to do it with a Humvee They Had to use CH 47 Chinook Helicopter to get it out 5 ton Tow trucks couldn't get it out The Post commander Heard about that one This was early In the Military Use of the Humvee :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:(y)

Reactions: gtunney

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If the tractor has enough ballast and chains, no problem.

My wife's 6000 lb truck slid the rear end into a foot deep snow filled ditch one day and my MF1655 walked it right out. That tractor and operator weighed 2450 lb at the time, with about 1500 lb sitting on the rear tires.

Your tractors are quite a bit lighter, but with proper ballasting, they will do amazing things. If you don't try, you'll never know.
Agreed.
We have over 20 inches of snow right now, some areas even more and I go out in the yard and blow 300 feet of paths for our dog with my GX345 and never get stuck. It's a very hilly yard too and not much flat areas.
I had to plow a path to our septic mound to have a new pump installed a couple weeks ago on the coldest day of the year.
Proper ballast and chains are the key. Having a heated cab is really nice too and having the proper equipment helps because you never know when you're going to need it. It's usually when you least expect it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was edjumacated the first season with the x500, don't drive it where you havn't cleared!

I have a 3500lb winch on the back of the x500 and I've needed it couple times but not for snow! usually it's cutting a wet ditch and getting the deck hung up! and then for pulling my boat in the shelter frontwards so I can work on the motors near the door! I run the winch cable through a small hole in the back of shelter and pull it in!
I've had to recover the x540 from falling in the waste lagoon when cutting the banks! gator to the rescue wasn't taking any chances of making it a really crappy day!
:LOL:

I'm laughing, because I got my old x540 stuck in a wet ditch more times than I want to remember - for the same reason! It got to the point that if the ditch was even DAMP, I'd just leave it for the next time! I have yet to get the x748 stuck in those ditches, even when there's standing water...of course, the 4 wheel drive helps, AND the deck lifts higher too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used my old 430 (my avatar) to pull my 20,000lb semi-tractor once...
It wasn't really stuck; I came home one afternoon, there had been about an inch of snow the night before, and parked the truck. The heat from the tires melted the snow around the tires and then the temperature dropped below freezing. When I climbed back into it, to go to work, it wouldn't move! Little ice dams had formed around the drive tires. Hmm, I wonder...put the wife in the 430, hung a chain from the 430 to a tow hook on the truck, and sure enough! Walked it right out :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never Have had to do that with a Tractor But Managed to do it with a Humvee They Had to use CH 47 Chinook Helicopter to get it out 5 ton Tow trucks couldn't get it out The Post commander Heard about that one This was early In the Military Use of the Humvee :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:(y)
How in (@#$& did you manage that? :oops:
I winched a HEMMT wrecker - stuck in its' own tracks, in mud up to the axles - out with my old 5 ton wrecker!

·
blinged out
1,376 Posts
It wasn't really stuck; I came home one afternoon, there had been about an inch of snow the night before, and parked the truck. The heat from the tires melted the snow around the tires and then the temperature dropped below freezing. When I climbed back into it, to go to work, it wouldn't move! Little ice dams had formed around the drive tires. Hmm, I wonder...put the wife in the 430, hung a chain from the 430 to a tow hook on the truck, and sure enough! Walked it right out :)
pretty common occurence up here! novice truckers pull into a restaurant and go for lunch. the hot tires coming off the highway sink into the ice. after lunch they aren't going anywhere!

·
Super Moderator
16,758 Posts
How in (@#$& did you manage that? :oops:
I winched a HEMMT wrecker - stuck in its' own tracks, in mud up to the axles - out with my old 5 ton wrecker!
Arkansas Swap at Fort Chaffee (y)

Reactions: Shack01

·
Super Moderator
34,472 Posts
Well I high centered my machine with the blade today, had to use the snowblower to clear around it and then the shovel to remove the snow from under it. Deep snow was starting to melt so didn't take much to pack tight under the middle!

·
Super Moderator
8,674 Posts
I pulled a ford falcon with this 6HP Tecumseh ...on dry road...but it did it...my new tractor has 4WD....that is great in the snow...I have not needed the chains that I bought at all...if we get a prediction of over 18" I may put them on....but the rim guard and ballast seems to work better than I would ever have thought

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Well I high centered my machine with the blade today
Not high-centered but I have a habit where I lift the snow blade as high as it goes and keep pushing to spread the pile. What happens is the front wheels break through the soft packed snow. Then the blade settles down into the packed snow and all wheel drive just digs out from under the wheels so the blade holds even more. I have to do the walk of shame to go get a shovel to remove the snow under the blade so the wheels can get traction again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts