My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the threat of snow is mostly gone here now, I decided to plumb in my selector valve so i could mount my homemade three point hitch. I finished the three point to sleeve adapter earlier in the week. For the selector valve I chose to mount it where the flow control would normally go since I have no intention of getting on of those. I also set the valve up to have a lever instead of the standard push/pull knob. This setup puts the control right next to the implement lift control for quick changes between lift circuits with minimal movement. I used 5/16 steel hydraulic tubing for all of the lines and put 1/4" quick connects at the rear of the tractor so I can easily remove the 3pt if I need to. I only had to drill one extra hole in the tractor to mount the valve bracket and trim a little of the front of the foot rest, but I have 4016 fenders and foot rests on an early '79 short wheelbase tractor.

Tried to till, first three passes were good, fourth pass turned to clay soup. Still got the tractor out on it's own though. I love this thing!

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Could you list more info on the selector valve I'd be interested in doing something like this on my 4016. I like the way this set up looks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I parked the tractor in the shop Sunday afternoon with the tiller raised just to see if I had any leaks. It is still all the way up with no drips this morning.

I used used this Prince holding valve from Surplus Center (they were out of the 3/8 port so I used the 1/2 port model, but this is the one I would have used):
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6133&catname=hydraulic
Prince sells a handle kit for this valve but I could not find one anywhere so I made my own. I wanted a lever instead of the knob for easy of changing the circuit. Leveling dirt and gravel with the front blade and back blade will be quick and easy now.

I bought all of the fittings from Discount Hydraulic hose.com. They even sell the run tee's as used OEM on the 3pts. http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/product_p/6602.htm
All of the lift circuit fittings are -5 JIC (5/16"). In the manuals sticky here are the oem Case instructions for how to plumb the selector valve. The hydrualic tubing came from Hose and Fittings.com. http://shop.hoseandfittings.com/catalog/Tubing/Steel/Hydraulic/Inch/5_16_OD_Tubing/Seamless/0.312X.035W.html
They will cut and ship UPS which most other online suppliers won't. I have also bought it it other sizes from the local Parker Store for much less $ but I can't get there when they are open anymore with my new job.

I bought a Parker flaring tool specifically for hydrualic tubing from an airplane supply site that I can't remember now. It has been one of my favorite tool purchases. Here is a random youtube video that shows how it works pretty well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGP_TXZQqA
They did leave out the fact that there is a built in stop that sets the tubing height in the dies so you always get perfect flairs. It will flair tubing from 1/8 to 3/4.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Since the threat of snow is mostly gone here now, I decided to plumb in my selector valve so i could mount my homemade three point hitch. I finished the three point to sleeve adapter earlier in the week. For the selector valve I chose to mount it where the flow control would normally go since I have no intention of getting on of those. I also set the valve up to have a lever instead of the standard push/pull knob. This setup puts the control right next to the implement lift control for quick changes between lift circuits with minimal movement. I used 5/16 steel hydraulic tubing for all of the lines and put 1/4" quick connects at the rear of the tractor so I can easily remove the 3pt if I need to. I only had to drill one extra hole in the tractor to mount the valve bracket and trim a little of the front of the foot rest, but I have 4016 fenders and foot rests on an early '79 short wheelbase tractor.

Tried to till, first three passes were good, fourth pass turned to clay soup. Still got the tractor out on it's own though. I love this thing!
Boss
You run the tiller with out front weights?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts