My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
322 jd. with loader
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS PERSON OR KNOW OF HIM , i just showing this to others if you not hear or seen it yet.

THIS person is suing or wanting to sue them it seems and wants a class action suit stating j.d. knows about the cheaper made tranny . :goodl: is all i can say about it

http://nmi.craigslist.org/grd/3810088360.html after opening this you need to open other spot he talking about

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Suing is one thing collecting is another. :thThumbsU
The L120 is Now at least How Many Year's Old 9 at it's Youngest
Mind You It would Be Nice to see all serviceable transmissions In all Lawn & Garden tractors across all outdoor Power equipment Manufacturers

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
These "lawsuits" are a complete joke. Pretty sure you could find out before you purchase if you can change the oil or not. Reminds me of my 2000 F150 that had spark plugs that could shoot out of the head....which never happened, or my 2006 F150 that has spark plugs that can't be removed....which I changed without much trouble.

You are what you eat....

Oh by the way....delete this thread.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A few years ago the jd website had a tractor recommendation interactive tool. You entered how you were going to use the tractor and the tool told you the recommended model. I played with it and entered stuff like hauling loads up inclines, mowing steep slopes, plowing snow, etc...all the things that would raise a red flag for folks on this forum. Yep...you guessed it - Deere's website recommended the x300 with the K46 transmission.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
What a moron.

Thats what you might call him until the problem fall on you.
Me for one I will will never have another John Deere tractor.
I bought an $8500 John Deere Zero turn and had the same problem one week after the warranty ran out and I got no help from the dealer.
I take good care of my machines.

·
That Guy
1,160 Posts
I did all the research I could before I purchased my D160, and I inevitably expect the K46 to inevitably fail- how long it is before it does will depend on how I treat it- but I do understand that it will. When it does I will replace it with a K66 as the rest of the machine should be fine. I like my Deere, I like it a lot- but I also understand I purchased a machine built to a price point- and the weak point is the transaxle. I am ok with this.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
These "lawsuits" are a complete joke. Pretty sure you could find out before you purchase if you can change the oil or not. Reminds me of my 2000 F150 that had spark plugs that could shoot out of the head....which never happened, or my 2006 F150 that has spark plugs that can't be removed....which I changed without much trouble.

You are what you eat....

Oh by the way....delete this thread.
Actually those 4.6 or 5.4l mod motors did shoot spark plugs out of the heads. A guy working for me had that happen to his Mustang on the way to work one day. Had to get a new head because he couldn't it helicoiled. I think it only happend on mod motors that had been warmed over with performance parts, probably more of a Mustang GT problem than a F150 problem.

As far as the K46, what do you want? It's an entry level tractor and with maybe a designed 800-1000hr life span?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I don't understand this guy at all. This is what happens when you spend the least amount of money you can on a mowing tractor...you get the least amount of quality. It's like buying a pair of sandals and expecting them to outlast a pair of redwing boots.

Some folks may feel like they have legitimate gripes though. They really think there getting a John Deere that will pull rocks and run over stumps for 20 years when they buy one of these. I dunno who's fault it would be...the customer for not education himself before buying or salesman who push these and don't educate the customer. To me It would be a moral obligation to educate a customer on what he is getting vrs what he isn't. Sadly most who sell these at box stores are clueless themselves.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I did all the research I could before I purchased my D160, and I inevitably expect the K46 to inevitably fail- how long it is before it does will depend on how I treat it- but I do understand that it will. When it does I will replace it with a K66 as the rest of the machine should be fine. I like my Deere, I like it a lot- but I also understand I purchased a machine built to a price point- and the weak point is the transaxle. I am ok with this.
We think alike. I have an X300 with a K46. I`ve already done one fluid change and will do another at 200 hrs. I pamper it but still know that it will get tired at some point. When that happens, a K66 will go in it.

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
To Bad Deere didn't stay with the sealed K51's You may Not hear as Much about Problems with Transmissions They Used the K51 In Sabre and Scotts by JD Lawn tractors until the Last Model Year when they Switched to K46's and the LT155 & LT166 also Had sealed K51's and your really don't Hear many Problems with them. But In this case who is to BLAME Deere or Tuff-Torq Maybe If Tuff-Torq and Hydro-Gear took the Position of Not Producing sealed Transmissions Making all the transmissions with a Fill Plug and a Drain Plug as standard equipment. Deere and Others could still market them as sealed and they wouldn’t Have to redesign there Rear Mounted Gas tanks to accommodate a fill tube. See MTD Markets the Cub Cadet GTX1054 as having a sealed Transmission In the Owners Manual But That is actually Not the Case.

My Older Brother has a BMW and the transmission is Listed as sealed But In Fact that is Not the Case They designed the transmission to only be drained and filled By a dealership or shop Because the Trans Does Have a Drain and Fill Plug But It's Only accessible from Underneath the Car:thThumbsU

·
322 jd. with loader
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
reason i put this up was to of been about the law suit not the tranny EVERY 1 KNOWS about trannys by now unless you live under a rock

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.