My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Blank Space
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dug out the Beast Brush mower for a test run to make sure everything was OK for the big task in a few weeks. I just cut a couple of small areas as a test and it all seemed fine.

I wait until winter after a couple of good, hard killing frosts to wipe out most of the vegetation and drop all of the leaves off the brush. Also takes care of any bugs or snakes. Then I find a moderate day in the 40s and go for it. Also makes wearing the heavy clothes and boots needed for protection from briars tolerable.

Should be a lot easier this year though with only one year of overgrowth instead of the six or seven years of growth I dealt with last winter.

·
Blank Space
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I got bored this morning and took a crack at it even without the first killing frost.

I was right about taking less time. It only took 3-4 hours to clear the same sized area that took 3 days or more to clear last year.

Not much activity on these threads, but if you don't have a tractor and bush hog or just have a few acres to clear, this is a very practical alternative.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Wow. That is a beast.

Looks great

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
That is a pretty beastly machine- What is it?
I've run a Billy Goat brushhog before, and they will run over a 1-2" thick scotch broom like it's not even there. That thing looks even tougher.

·
Blank Space
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a pretty beastly machine- What is it?
http://beastpowerequipment.com/brushbeast.php

Toughest and most powerful I could find. Eats anything it rolls over. They say it'll take out a 4" sapling but I found those too rigid to bend enough to roll over to get to the cutting blades. Machine tries to climb them instead of bending them over. I have taken out several 2 and 3" saplings though with no effort.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
That has to be one tough machine to cut through those small trees. Just think about how many mowers you have seen that has hit a root or something hard and what it does to the crank shafts!!!

·
Blank Space
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ It's basically a bush hog. Two large, heavy blades mounted to a 50lb flywheel that act like a sharpened battering ram. They just rip small trees to shreds.

Blades are mounted with large bolts that act as pivot points and let them swing away to avoid major damage. Rotating force swings them back into position. I'm sure they wouldn't survive hitting something solid like a rock or metal pipe, but since they're belt driven, you'd only damage a blade or two and not the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts