My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have several 3000 Series Tractors and one of them recently had the PTO Vacuum Solenoid go bad,

I swapped one from another tractor to confirm that the valve was bad.

I know that some have repaired the valves, but I tried that and damaged the valve in the process. I would prefer to buy a replacement if I can find one that is cheap and will work without modifications to the tractor.

New from CC they cost over $80 and I will probably need more than one as I plan to keep using 3000 Series Tractors for a long time.

I am hoping to find a substitute that is less expensive. I did a bunch of searching on Amazon/Ebay and found many that look like they will work, with some fabrication.

I bought one and it should work, but I will need to make modifications to the wiring to use it and would prefer not to cut up the wiring.

The CC OEM valve appears to have a GM style Weather Pack Connector.

I am not concerned with what it will look like, just that the wiring and vacuum hoses will
connect without making permanent modifications to the tractor.

Has anyone found an inexpensive valve that will work with very little, or no modification?

If so, please provide link/photos/part#s
1577666057693.png
1577666235545.png

These are photos of the OEM Valve and Connector.

·
Ejl in Pa.
240 Posts
Joelk I have had to bite the bullet and buy the OEM actuator or take a chance on a used one. I've also attempted to cut one open to attempt a repair and damaged it more in the process. Let us know if you come up with a workable solution.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Search "vacuum solenoid" on ebay, I bought usable replacements for $9. Or go to your local automotive store and ask for some help finding a vacuum solenoid - usually around $18.

Bill

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As
Search "vacuum solenoid" on ebay, I bought usable replacements for $9. Or go to your local automotive store and ask for some help finding a vacuum solenoid - usually around $18.

Bill
As I mentioned in my original post, I have done a lot of searches on Ebay and Amazon. There are a lot that look like they might work. I am trying to find out which one/s actually will work.

I bought a VS63 EGR Solenoid that looks fairly similar to the OEM valve, except for the wire connection, so I bought a wire connection. IT DOES NOT WORK. I paid a lot less, but the Autozone price for just the valve is $34.99.

Back in the old days there were a couple local parts stores that would let me just go in and "rummage around". The chain stores generally don't seem like they would allow that and I don't feel like it is fair to them to bring part after part out to the counter for me to inspect it. I also don't think it is fair to buy stuff and return if I did not have a reasonable expectation that it would work, when I bought it.

I was hoping someone had already found one that would work, but I will continue to search.

The link above is to the current replacement for the original valve.

I ordered a valve today that looks VERY similar. Hopefully it will work and then I can figure out how to make the wire connection.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got one of these and it seems like it will be an ideal replacement IF* I can find an appropriate wiring pigtail for a reasonable price.

Very similar in shape and function to the OEM switch. I checked the vacuum ports and they function the same as OEM CC and I think the metal tab that the OEM switch clips onto will even work with it.

The valve is VW/Audi PN 1K096283A. I found some horn and fog lamp pigtails, that look similar, but similar may not be good enough.

If anyone knows of a wiring pigtail that will work with it, please post a link here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you search for a 3 port vacuum switch, they will work. You need one that will open to atmosphere when it closes the vacuum supply. Otherwise the bellows won't refill with air.
I ordered one from ebay, it looks similar to OEM and was under $8. I'll test it when it comes and let everyone know if it is a true replacement.

Bill

vacuum switch.png

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you search for a 3 port vacuum switch, they will work. You need one that will open to atmosphere when it closes the vacuum supply. Otherwise the bellows won't refill with air.
I ordered one from ebay, it looks similar to OEM and was under $8. I'll test it when it comes and let everyone know if it is a true replacement.

Bill

View attachment 2443056
That looks VERY similar to the one I purchased and linked to in post #5 and if it is the one for VW/Audi, it DOES function properly, but it will need a correct wiring pigtail to work. Do you have a photo of the connector opening and/or part # so I can search for photos online?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The one I have coming is from a Ford - F-150, Expedition, Focus. A pigtail is not really needed, small female spade connectors might work, there is no polarity issue it is just powering an electromagnet. But I'll see when it comes what kind of a connector will work.

Bill

·
Registered
82 Posts
The vacuum switch arrived and it is a "go" for a PTO replacement switch. Cost was $7.98, free shipping.

The connector is not the same, but small female spade connectors do fit. So just cut the OEM connector off and crimp on spade connectors. Using a 2 amp 12v power supply to test it - it does seem to be polarity specific. Looking into the connector opening - Ground on the left, positive on the right.

Bill

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The vacuum switch arrived and it is a "go" for a PTO replacement switch. Cost was $7.98, free shipping.

The connector is not the same, but small female spade connectors do fit. So just cut the OEM connector off and crimp on spade connectors. Using a 2 amp 12v power supply to test it - it does seem to be polarity specific. Looking into the connector opening - Ground on the left, positive on the right.

Bill
THANKS for finding that and reporting about it here! That looks like a very good option.

I would prefer to use a sealed connector, but it will probably be easier to find one for the Ford valve than for the VW valve.

I don't suppose you tested to see if it will clip directly onto the OEM bracket? It would be nice if it did.

Do you know if the valve NEEDS to be installed with the "cap part" of the valve up?

I have seen several photos of these valves installed, and they all have the cap up. I think this is probably to keep moisture out of the valve. Probably less of an issue on a GT that sees very little water, but...

·
Registered
82 Posts
The clip on the back of the switch would indicate that it should be installed cap end down. The cap end is just a cover over the vent to atmosphere end. That vent allows air to drawn in by the PTO bellows when the switch is turned off and allows the PTO to disengage. I didn't try it on my tractors, but as I remember I think it will slide on to the metal plate on our Cubs. It's 3 degrees here in Wisconsin this morning - too cold to play with GT's.

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts