My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a link or a PDF on the Honda CD4542 deck as to how to properly mount and level the deck.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a service manual, deck leveling info is not in there, or i cant find it.
When the deck is all the way up, is it supposed to be resting on those two rubber stops that protrude down from the tractor frame?
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave,
Boy, I feel stupid now, I didn't even see that when I looked!
Thanks Again.

·
Registered
806 Posts
FYI

I have a 4514 with 38 inch deck and there are no rubber stops. There are two metal L shaped brackets that are welded to the frame that protrude down and appear to stop the deck from raising past a certain point. There is about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of clearance between the bottom of the bracket and the deck when deck is at maximum height. I suppose it's possible on mine that slip on rubber grommets fit over the bottom L of the bracket and they have fallen off. There are no wear marks, however on the top of the deck where the L shaped bracket might contact the top of the deck.

What I can't figure out, however, is how the lifting mechanism keeps the deck level when lifted or lowered because the lifting mechanism lifts the entire deck only from the back 25 percent of the deck. One would think because of the weight of the deck that the front of the deck would slope downward, but it's perfectly level at all cutting heights.

My conclusion is that the swing arms on the front of the deck manage to keep the front part of the deck level as it is lowered and raised for each cutting height.

The lifting mechanism on a 3813 lifts the cutting deck from the front and rear compared to the 4514 which lifts only from the rear.

See pic below: the 4514 front attaching brackets on the right in the pic below don't lift the deck at all. It appears that all they do is maintain front to rear movement and perhaps keep the deck level as it is raised and lowered.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7316303416/

The cutter deck on the 4514 is a breeze to remove or attach compared to the deck on the 3813/4213.

What would make it even easier to remove is if it had swivel scalping wheels like that on some John Deere decks. The JD deck even has a handle to pull the deck from underneath the tractor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-DEERE-...330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d32bc822

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a service manual, deck leveling info is not in there, or i cant find it.
When the deck is all the way up, is it supposed to be resting on those two rubber stops that protrude down from the tractor frame?
Thanks
Only the early 4514s had that brackets and rubber pads coming down from the frame. That bracket was eliminated from frame number 1006847 and later. My 4514 does not have it and I don't know what function it had.

If you want to replace the rubber piece it has a Honda part number of 75521-758-000.

The Honda shop manual does not group info for the deck (or other things) in one place. I often have to search almost the whole manual to find what I am looking for. Don't feel bad. :fing20:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The information you are looking for is in the
"Dealer Instructions for Set-Up and Pre-Delivery Service CD4542/CD4542C Mower Decks for H4514H/H4518H Lawn Tractors". I am looking for this info too, now that I have a nifty (almost)new 42" deck for my 4518.

I have this set-up manual for the 38" deck and would be happy to share any of the information within if anyone needs it. If anyone has or knows where the CD4542 setup instructions are, please share!

·
Registered
280 Posts
The information you are looking for is in the
"Dealer Instructions for Set-Up and Pre-Delivery Service CD4542/CD4542C Mower Decks for H4514H/H4518H Lawn Tractors". I am looking for this info too, now that I have a nifty (almost)new 42" deck for my 4518.

I have this set-up manual for the 38" deck and would be happy to share any of the information within if anyone needs it. If anyone has or knows where the CD4542 setup instructions are, please share!
how do you have this information.. paper, disk, electronic.?

as I picked up a NOS 38 inch last year... my tractor has a 42 inch and its almost ready for the trash..

I thought all that was needed was to slide one out and the other in..
I do like having all the information I can get.. for doing a JOB/work.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I use both the 38" and 42" deck on my 4514. I set up my 38" deck using the shop manual and when installing the 42" deck it did not require any new adjustments for an even cut. Since the Honda 4514 and 4518 use the same frame and height adjustment mechanism, the deck leveling is the same for both.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use both the 38" and 42" deck on my 4514. I set up my 38" deck using the shop manual and when installing the 42" deck it did not require any new adjustments for an even cut. Since the Honda 4514 and 4518 use the same frame and height adjustment mechanism, the deck leveling is the same for both.
that is good to know. Thank You...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is the setup manual for the 38 inch decks (hoping upload worked!)
My particular concerns were for the length settings for the front deck links and deck lift rods... the manuals state the same but when I tried to fit my almost new CD4542 deck in place of my dead 38", did not come close to fitting without shortening the front deck links by an inch or so. Now wondering if my 42 inch deck is not a 4542 or 4542C but maybe a 4542C# or SA or SA#? not sure what differences are between these decks or if any dimensional differences at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Robert, thank you for the 4542 setup! That info is simply not available from any Honda service dealers around me. Do you know if there are any dimensional differences for any of the 4542 decks? 4542, 4542C, 4542C#, 4542SA# etc? Replacing my dead CD4538C(#?) with a CD4542 and not just 'dropping in' - needing some adjustment to link lengths. Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aha.. that 4542 manual already coming in handy. I see from the manual, I have a "CD4542" based on serial number code starting with RZAU. Good to know! - thanks again!

·
Free 4518 user
70 Posts
Thanks for the set up manual. I hope to get the 42" deck back onto my 4518 next weekend. This should help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts