My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful day, with temps in the low 70's. Got home from work, fired up the chain saw, and cut up the remaining fallen branches from the December ice storm. Also got my tractor muddy- the dirtiest it has been since I got it. I loaded the 10 cu. ft. dump cart "Sanford and Son style" three times, and brought the cut logs and branches up to the fire pit. Now the yard is basically clear of debris and the wood just needs to be burned.

It's amazing how much work can be caused by just one storm. I have slowly been chipping away it, and just trying to make progress. It's now pretty much in control, and now I can focus more on getting my herbs started, and working on my little veggie garden plot. Still lots of raking to be done before I will be able to mow, but I still have some time.

The days are getting longer, daylight savings time is just a few days away, Spring has sprung, and life is good! :) I have been waiting for this since about late October.

Any other "temperature challenged" individuals getting some good seat time? Feels good to be back on the little CC 1525.

Greg

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Its about time i have been using mine for a couple of months now :bump9:

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
jodyand said:
Its about time i have been using mine for a couple of months now :bump9:
Yeah :aetsch: but you didn't get to play in the snow all winter!:aetsch:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Yep, got some good seat time yesterday, 78 degrees for a final temp and cut some grass as well as serviced all the small engines for the summer season. It's gonna be another nice one today, about 70 for a high.

Wouldn't ya know it? I guess I'm gonna figure out something else to do today to get some more seat time! :D

·
Super Moderator
32,058 Posts
Argee said:
Yeah :aetsch: but you didn't get to play in the snow all winter!:aetsch:

Well me eather realy. Never realy had a real snow fall this year. Used the snowblower twice, once just to check it out, I realy did not need to, and used the plow on the 224 once, but agean, realy wasnt needed. Mostly to play. I did get some splitter time in on the 224 though, so it has seen some use.

·
Administrator
11,858 Posts
The 70 degrees is really making the grass green up nice. I pulled the aerator over the yard a couple of weeks ago and fertilized last week. I changed the oil, filters and plug in the mowers and tiller. Still need sharpen the blades and get the deck back on the LT.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes Greg1- that is correct. It should have been about 5 loads, but the more I drove through the yard, the more mud I got all over it. Several times the rear wheels just sat and spun in the mud. I was creeping along, and had my oldest son walking beside the trailer to keep all the branches from tumbling over. It had to look pretty funny, but as Larry the cable guy would say...I gotter done. LOL

Greg

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Come on Spring !

fusion, I know what you mean, the temps are getting to the point its drawing me out to the yard like a magnet, I just dread picking up all the stinking small branches out of the yard from the winter though too. Burned a couple brush piles already and anxious to get some other landscape projects done, but right now we have rain forecast for a few days so gonna have to just set back and enjoy this new forum of yours instead :).

Take care :)
Jim

·
Super Moderator
32,058 Posts
Well almost 60 yesterday, and just WONDERFULL spring days the last few days. Well I was working :fing20:

This weekend, it should be 50, but RAIN. Rain rain and more rain. Oh well, maybe I can get some stuff done in the garage.

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
In between rain showers, which we needed, I got the back lawn mowed on the Craftsman and the trail smoothed out a bit more with the JD170 and blade. Tommy 4 runs so hard around the corners of the property, he tears up the trail and puts ruts in it. But, the squirrels still get away. ROF ROF

Greg

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Year Round Play

Hey I know that we have someone from Florida. And some from Texas. Since they don't have snow in the winter, nor the really cold weather, can they play year around with their tractors?

Stuff like move dirt around. Grade the road. A second garden. Or do they just park it outside on a sunny but chilly day?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What a beautiful day, and the next couple days are supposed to be in the low to mid 70's. I got to hook up the little trailer and go around the yard picking up small twigs. Let my 5 yr. old drive the tractor all the way around the house; he had an ear to ear grin on his face. :fing32: I also wore most of the caked mud off the tires from last weeks "swamp ride". I also cleaned up the Toro and started it to get the oil warm so I could change the oil. I hit the primer bulb about 5 times, and it started easily on the first pull- just like last season. The "troublesome" Tecumseh carb has worked flawlessly going on it's third season. I am also now a firm believer in Sta-Bil as well.

The grass is getting green, the trees are starting to bud, the birds are chirping, and the herbs are planted. Life is good.

Greg

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
heading my way

I had six days off and nothing went as planned. The plan was get my equipment ready for the season, fix a light problem on my dump, replace a half shaft, leaky gas return line, and idler arm on my pick-up, and make the modifications to the headache rack for my fork that now fit my John Deere. Of the above list the only things that got accomplished were the gas return line and the idler arm on the pick-up. Mother nature threw me a curve ball in the form of a foot of snow. So as a result I got seat time on the Deere moving snow for myself and several others. This snow was so heavy blowers did not work well at all and the stuff pushed up by the plows, forget it. Our county has a budget crisis so a lot of roads went unplowed until sunday night and I saw more vehicles off the road or stuck in driveways then I saw all winter.
The weather warmed up yesterday and now there is a lot of flooding from snow clogged ditches. The trees also took quite a beating, broken limbs everywhere. I have to get the saw going myself both here at the homestead and over at the flat farm. I hope this is winters last hoorah, I have had enough.

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
That's tough, Slip..

Hope everything works out for you. We had a great Feb, and thought Spring was here after a very mild Winter. Then mid March, temps dropped, wind, rain...a mess. I had quite a few projects that got put off too. Oh well, maybe May? ROF

G

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Argee said:
One nice thing about spring snows, they're short lived.
Thats one thing we dont have to worry about down here :177:

·
Administrator
11,858 Posts
It snowed so hard Saturday (4/2/05) I could barely see to drive. Temps about 35F so it did not stick. Been around 80F the last two days. I mowed the yard for the first time this year tonight. Used all 15hp. on the front slope that faces South. Mowed two directions to get rid of the clumps after mulching it. The North side of the house where the ground was colder the grass barely touched the blades in spots.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
OH YEA! Got out there today mowed 3 of the 5 acres got a little sunburn and had some fun. Mid 70's in central IL. today and a nice weekend ahead. Finish mowing and spray for some weeds on Sat. Hope to put a stop to those weeds early this year. :Tractor2: slkpk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts