My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Trains Trucks Tractors
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seat on my 1984 316 has seen better days - I know there are seat covers, and new JD seats are not cheap. Any suggestions on a source for a generic (doesn't have to be JD) seat? Anyone ever recover their old seat successfully?

·
Registered
204 Posts
i would get highest seat i could buy, like 15 inch one.i saw guy put a 22 dollar boat seat on his mower from wal-mart.also saw one with padding like you see on upper class boats.boat seat is way to go in my opinion.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I think I gave $65 for my replacement seat, but there is supposed to be a recovering kit available from JD. Not sure of price or availability.

·
Registered
948 Posts
When I had my 318, I picked up the recover kit. Two weeks later, I realized I was not an upholsterer, not even a lousy one. I ended up buying the replacement seat from Deere. Back then, it was $69. I'm sure it's closer to $100 now. Nothern Tool carries one very similar, just does not have the logo embossed into the vinyl or the decal on the back of the seat pan.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It looks ok to me, but maybe its the pic.

·
Trains Trucks Tractors
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It looks ok to me, but maybe its the pic.
Well, I had photoshopped the final pics to clean up the rips because I wasn't sure on a seat solution (or how long it would take)...

·
Trains Trucks Tractors
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I lucked out - there was a seat on Craig's List and I got it for $10. And it was only a few miles away.

It looks to be an aftermarket style. It was really dirty and had several rust stains. A little Barkeeper's Friend and some serious scrubbing and it looks like new...

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
I lucked out - there was a seat on Craig's List and I got it for $10. And it was only a few miles away.

It looks to be an aftermarket style. It was really dirty and had several rust stains. A little Barkeeper's Friend and some serious scrubbing and it looks like new...
you can go to wal-mart and they have a seat thing for going to sport games,it is made to go up your back.when i had seat that low on back, i used that sport seat inside.

it was great and they dont cost that much.great on your back.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
A little Barkeeper's Friend and some serious scrubbing ...............
I can understand the scrubbing, but how does a short blond with big hooters help? (unless she's the one doing the scrubbing)

I wouldn't mind having that Barkeeper's Friend helping me with an oil change, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts