My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Busy in Howey
Joined
·
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about doing this for awhile and wanted to share this method of repair that I utilized when I acquired a rider that the seat was literally separated from the seat pan but the seat was in near perfect condition.

The steps are pretty simple and this procedure does not require a lot of materials, just a little patients and ingenuity.

My intentions are to hopefully help someone who may run into the same problem and help save them some frustration and maybe a few dollars. I am not responsible or liable for any problems that may arise from any individual attempting to do work on their own or anyone else's equipment as these are only techniques I utilized to repair my seat and may not reflect the exact procedures recommended by the manufacturers. No I am not a lawyer! :fing32:

OK, here we go, what I used was Gorilla Glue, Black silicone caulk, masking tape, duct tape and the tools were, an angle die grinder with an abrasive wheel, weights and a ratchet strap.



Gorilla Glue and Black Silicone caulk


This was the seat when I started.



You'll need to remove the old dried glue. From what I've seen, it appears that the glue does not even bond to the seat cushion as seen in the next pictures.





Once the dried glue beads are cleaned out and removed, there is still some residue left behind that will need to be removed as seen in the next picture.



The next thing I did was to use the abrasive wheel to remove the residue and to lightly scuff the seat pan and the seat cushion. (Warning!) You can easily burn right through the seat vinyl so use caution when scuffing it.




With Gorilla Glue, it wants you to wet one surface and glue the other. Just follow the directions for best results. :) I ended up soaking it down pretty good with an old wash cloth.




I did the upper half of the seat first as the cushion was starting to form a memory and would pull against itself if I tried to glue the whole thing at once. Remember with this type of glue, it will expand so you may have some come out from the seam as it is drying. I found it easier if you just let it dry then trim it off afterwards.
Once I glued the upper half, I taped it and put some old weights on it and used some ratchet straps to help hold it down on the stand I had set up until it dried.



The next day, I repeated the gluing procedure for the lower half and left it alone for another day.

Once the glue set up, I removed the tape and did a general clean up and trimmed any of the glue that expanded out.

The next thing I did was to tape off a perimeter on the edge so I could apply a bead of the black silicone caulk.




The next step I did was to apply the silicone bead and to smooth it out with a finger (I wore rubber gloves) I had to do this at a fast pace so the silicone did not skin over so there are no pictures. Once you have smoothed out your bead you should remove the tape as soon as you can and be sure to pull the tape away from the bead so you don't distort your handy work.



Hopefully everything went well and you have a nice finished product.




The finished product.


I hope this helps you out and be sure to wear your proper safety equipment while using your tools and have adequate ventilation when using chemicals and glues.

Happy fixen!
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top