My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fat and tall, and me driving my GT5000 probably looks like a Shriner on a clown car. I started looking at the seat mount, and saw a simple way the seat could be moved back without making any new holes.

First, unbolt the seat pan (10) from the pivot bracket (2). Then, unbolt the pivot bracket from the tractor. Rotate it 180 degrees and bolt it to the tractor. Then bolt the seat pan to the pivot bracket.

This gives 1-1/2" or 2" more legroom without putting new holes in your tractor. The seat springs still contact the seat pan in a good place, so the whole thing works just the same.

The next thing I'd like to do is extend the steering shaft, to avoid that darned knee rash.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
You need to shim under the seat springs because they are now closer to the hinge point and will bottom out easier. I have dents now from the seat bottoming out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have dents now from the seat bottoming out.
What part was dented? Mine still works like before, and the springs can fully compress before the seat hits anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks a bunch for this tip! My boys like to ride with me (never while mowing of course :Stop: Go easy safety police) and I hardly have room for the oldest now that he's almost 5. This will help.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have thought about making a seat that would fit the whole width from fender to fender, because I have to mow on hill sides and it really hurts, after an hour or more, of switching from one side of the seat to the other.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I still have not used the 03 gt5000 I picked up cheap, waiting on the new engine to get here.

I'm glad you posted this, I'm not "fat" but I'm not a midget either and at 6foot it felt very cramped with the seat all the way back.

thanks for the good info.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I was not skinny at 290 pound and 6-1. I have lost 35 pound and have another 60 pounds to go. My tractor has plenty of room with me on it.

You can change your seat but my advice would be to go on a diet so you will be around to enjoy your grand children. The extra weight gave me hart and other health problems. We need a new catagory here on the Forum. A support group forum for us skinny people. I have pinched nerves in my neck and back. They are getting better now that I am taking off a few pounds. I also have horable asthma. I am breathing much better now that I have taken off a few pounds. I even feel better about myself.

And the problem is? Hope you find a seat that helps your back.

I am over weight because I eat too much. I cut out all food between meals and I eat small protions and never have seconds. I eat sweets once a week and never drink soda which is not good for you to begin with. Stress can make us do funny things.

I never say I am fat. I just tell people that I am an anorexic in disquise. Glad you don't mow with the kids on the tractor. My grand kids loved to ride. Now they are older and can drive it themselves. Enjoy the children, they grow up fast.

·
Registered
968 Posts
We need a new catagory here on the Forum. A support group forum for us skinny people. I have pinched nerves in my neck and back. They are getting better now that I am taking off a few pounds. I also have horable asthma. I am breathing much better now that I have taken off a few pounds. I even feel better about myself. .....

I am over weight because I eat too much. I cut out all food between meals and I eat small protions and never have seconds. I eat sweets once a week and never drink soda which is not good for you to begin with. Stress can make us do funny things.

I never say I am fat. I just tell people that I am an anorexic in disquise. Glad you don't mow with the kids on the tractor. My grand kids loved to ride. Now they are older and can drive it themselves. Enjoy the children, they grow up fast.

check out the health and fitness section http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

there is a on going MTF Biggest loser thread.

It also feel a little cramped on the GT5000 I will look into this mod.

Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
299 Posts
Being 6'2" I had a similar problem on my GT5000. My solution was to grind out the slot on the seat pan (part #10). I took a die grinder and a carbide bit and lengthened the slot (to the rear of the tractor). I gained about 1 1/2" of rearward adjustment.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Being 6'2" I had a similar problem on my GT5000. My solution was to grind out the slot on the seat pan (part #10). I took a die grinder and a carbide bit and lengthened the slot (to the rear of the tractor). I gained about 1 1/2" of rearward adjustment.
I too am 6'2" and did the same slot mod on my YT3000. I weight 200 lbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts