My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up this tractor and the previous owner had burnt up the ignition wires at the key switch. Can i just use a replacement auto ignition to replace the junk one?? Also how many wires hook to the back side of the tumbler. As far as I can tell i only need two the one that runs from starter to ignition switch an the other being from the battery to igntion. Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
891 Posts
My Super 12 was modified by the previous owner to include a solenoid. It appears that the original wiring used a heavy-amperage starter switch ... the entire starter current ran through the switch. A standard automotive switch can't handle that current.

At a minimum, you should have three connections to the switch. They're usually labeled M, B, and S for Motor, Battery, and Starter/Solenoid, respectively. There's a fourth connection to ground, usually through the mounting hardware. When the key is in the Off position, the Motor pin is grounded. This should kill the magneto and make the engine stop (an important feature.) In the Run position, the Motor terminal is floating. In the Start position, the Battery terminal is connected to the Starter terminal.

The direct replacement part is probably the simplest solution, though it might not be the most cost effective one. I've got a basic wiring diagram for a SS/16 which has a solenoid, and I can post that if it'd be helpful.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for the info. I didnt think an automobile switch would do the job but figured id ask just in case. I would appreciate the wireing diagram may make things easier. Now i just have to find where my coil wires are hiding at as i was able to find the other two wires i need but did not see, nor did there appear that a coil wire was coneected to the back of the ignition.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a custom 10XL. still an hh motor. My ignition wire( to coil) I believe go to the voltage regulator. somhow the charging system manages power to the solid state ignition. I have a grond wire from the engine to the switch.

So. two wires out of the engine. 1 to the regulator(+). one to the switch(-). One wire from the regulator goes to the switch to complete the ignition "on".

·
Registered
891 Posts
Electrical diagrams (sorry for the hugeness) :

The Briggs diagram doesn't have labels, but it should be pretty clear where the safety switches are, where the solenoid is, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the info. i think i got it figured out. Just didnt look hard enough for the magneto wire.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Cool, just the info I needed for my machine as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate to be a pain but in my search for my new ignition iv found that there was a part number STD365402 is that the same as a Std365401

·
cletus's tractors
405 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts