My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1983 AC 912H,(my favorite)JD 116,JD L120,D140
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m considering this GT but I’m not sure what it is. From the research I’ve done, assuming the year is right it could be a Sears Suburban 12 minus fenders and pulley guard. I contacted the seller and he said he hasn’t had it running this year but believes it will run but needs exhaust installed and belt for the deck. I figured someone here would know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I think this is a 1967 or maybe a 1968 Sears Custom. It is hard to see in the pics you posted, but the grille looks like it is a stamped steel grille. The Suburbans had a cast grille. The Suburbans also used a pony drive for the deck. It was mounted out front and turned the deck belt from vertical to horizontal. The second pic below shows a little of the pony drive.

The best way is to have the owner provide the Sears model number. It would begin like...917.25XXX. If he's been restoring it, he should have that model number.

Here is an example of the stamped steel grille:

Here is the cast grille: (Note the deck's pony drive mounted out front).

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
These are very capable machines. The dual range gearbox was very stout.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Not thinking that one is worth anywhere near $350. I'd have to re-do that entire "restoration."

·
Registered
1983 AC 912H,(my favorite)JD 116,JD L120,D140
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. Looks like it must have sold last night or early this morning. I may have offended the seller with what I was wanting to offer anyway but It was fun to look and learn a little about Sears GT’s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts