My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
The "mount" (slide in the front) is usually sold connected to the snow-blower.

Here is a "suburban" type snow blower

The "mount" for the custom type snow blowers are different (bolts to the axle)

Here is a "custom" type snowblower

If it is not attached, then build your own, or begin the hunt for a "parts- snowblower!"

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They made 2 blowers for the Suburbans, which one do you have ?
I am looking at one right now to buy. The blower doesn't have the slide in mounting bracket that fits suburban model tractors on it right now. The guy said he remembers having one and is going to look for it. I am just wondering if the slide in mounting brackets are hard to find or if anybody knows where I could find one.

I don't know what style it is, but here is a picture of another one that looks just like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
870 Posts
The Second one you posted a pic of looks like it is designed to mount to a "custom" tractor. I have one on my St-10 and it uses 4 bolts to attach to the front "axle."

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is what I thought but someone said their was two models, so I am trying to see what the other model is.

·
Registered
359 Posts
What model "Suburban" do you have? If it is a Suburban 12 or 14 I'd recommend the smaller blower. If you have an SS-16, ST-16 or late 70s GT (18 or 19.9) I'd recommend the larger Haban built blower (post #2 first diagram).
As someone else stated, I've never seen just a mount for sale. You will need to look for a parts blower and make one good one out of the two - which may be more trouble than finding one complete unit.
Good luck,

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Super old thread, doubt the guy is even still looking last post was in 2011!!

·
15,000 +posts!
20,712 Posts
I have the smaller white version Suburban snowblower--it grenaded the last time I used it about a month ago--the chain came off the auger,jammed behind the drive sprocket on the gear box shaft,bent the shaft,took a chunk out of the gear box housing where the bearing behind the sprocket goes..

It might be un-repairable,and finding a good gearbox probably will be unlikely,because many of them failed in much the same manner,or are about to,if you can find a complete "working" gear box...not sure if I'll bother trying to resurect it..maybe if I come across a "donor" or parts for cheap or free,I wont invest much into it because snowblowers and I do not seem to get along too well,and I get wet heavy snow that clogs them right up most of the time..

Plows are much easier to fix,don't eat belts,and work no matter how wet the snow is..

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
I have the smaller white version Suburban snowblower--it grenaded the last time I used it about a month ago--the chain came off the auger,jammed behind the drive sprocket on the gear box shaft,bent the shaft,took a chunk out of the gear box housing where the bearing behind the sprocket goes..

It might be un-repairable,and finding a good gearbox probably will be unlikely,because many of them failed in much the same manner,or are about to,if you can find a complete "working" gear box...not sure if I'll bother trying to resurect it..maybe if I come across a "donor" or parts for cheap or free,I wont invest much into it because snowblowers and I do not seem to get along too well,and I get wet heavy snow that clogs them right up most of the time..

Plows are much easier to fix,don't eat belts,and work no matter how wet the snow is..
I still feel bad it blew up... That was one of the nicest blowers I had come across and I used it the winter I gave it to you too.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,712 Posts
I'm kind of bummed that it grenaded too James,it's not your fault though !--my driveway is long and wide and has killed many a snowblower & tractor in its day..
Maybe I'll come across a parts one someday and get it to work again..
I have not yet taken the gearbox apart--it might be salvageable if I can get that shaft made or find a used one...(rather just bolt on a complete gear box though )..

The blower was actually throwing snow pretty good that day too,and hadn't eaten the belt right away--the rubber paddle impeller mod did help a lot..maybe the drag from the rubber had a role in the early belt failures and the eventual destruction that occoured,I'm not sure...probably just old age and it was its time to fail..

In the meantime I'll probably put a plow on that tractor...
I keep my eyes on CL for a Suburban plow,I should have pursued one that was for sale a while ago close by for 50 bucks..

That 3 stage walk behind snowblower I have in the shed I showed you--one day several years ago I was using that as a last resort to open up the walks and paths,and I when I was blowing thru a deep drift,I heard the engine suddenly rev up like it had no load on it,and I saw something fly off into a snowbank...

I shut it off ,and I heard something sizzling in the snowbank...whatever it was had melted a big hole in the snow,all the way to the bottom...I reached in to grab it and I got burned!--it turned out to be the centrifugal clutch ,and it still had the crankshaft in it..the crank busted off flush with the block! :eek:....

So much for that perfect running engine,I threw it in the shed,and ended up cannibalizing it for parts...(I think I put the flywheel on that Ariens Tecumseh I gave you )..ever notice how well things are working,just before they blow apart ?...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts