My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sears Aficionado
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MTF Member Dude11 (Bill) did a fine job on the paint job for the ST/12 I bought off of him several years ago. Even now,everything looks as good as the day I bought her.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to pull my hair out with matching the two primary colors on the Tractor. I was told the White/Cream was International Harvester (Cub)White and that the paint was Valspar from TSC. A hardener was added so I'm guessing that with the finish and quality of the paint job that this tractor was shot with a cup gun. TSC seems to be carrying "Majic Brand paint" and I am going to see if that is a close enough match to the current paint job. Rustoleum Almond is extremely close but a tad too dark.

Its the Yellow that I'm having a tough time with. You would think that everyone could agree on what "New Caterpillar" and "Old Caterpillar" Yellow is supposed to look like. I've scowered the net looking at Krylon and several other sites claiming to carry the (from what I can gather) the mustard or New Caterpillar Yellow color. Unfortunately, most websites label them as just simply Caterpillar Yellow. I ordered five cans of Old Caterpillar Yellow only to find that this is labeled "Hiway yellow". Needless to say the color turned out to be a New Holland super bright yellowish/orange. Not even close.

I found this:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Caterpillar

Doesn't really help much. Minus going to a Cat dealer and spending $10-$20 per can, does anyone know where (online) I could order 2-3 cans of the Mustard Yellow (New Caterpillar Yellow). I'm frustrated with reading websites that label their Yellow Spray Paint as being perfect matches for all Cub Cadet and John Deere Yellows :sidelaugh

Thanks!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've got a tiller that I'm working on, and has the same dull-yellow-with-a-hint-of-green paint. The local TSC had several versions of bright yellow. Home Depot and Lowes had JD yellow. Walmart had a decent selection of Rustoleum paints, but *exactly * one yellow - yep, bright yellow.

So I stumbled into my local Ace Hardware looking for something else, and wandered down the paint aisle figuring the detour wouldn't cost me anything. Lo and behold ... Caterpillar Yellow. It's not a bad match to the mustardy Sears color, though there isn't enough green. Note that the cap has almost nothing to do with the color of the contents.

Yeah, I'm not a bodywork guy, but the tine shield is better than when I got it.

Attachments

·
Sears Aficionado
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys thanks for the info. The Cat yellow i picked up had allot more orange to it than the mustard sears color you had mentioned. The repaint mine had at some point was close but not exact. From what i found the Sears cor is Aztec Gold? I'll have to find another way to match it. Thanks!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Aztec Gold is correct. The lighter color is Bamboo - see below from a 1976 Sears Merchandise list. And it was only $2.32 a can.

On other sites I've seen references to New CAT Yellow as close, but also Sears Desert Gold (Sears Number 175247) and Harvest Gold (automotive paint, but didn't say from where).

Sears Merchandise list:
Paint Colors for 1967-1976 Garden Tractors
Item # is for 16oz. Spray Cans
ITEM_NUMBER DESCRIPTION
SA 26983 JADE MIST
For 1967-68-69-70 SS12; 1971 SS14; 1972 SS15
1968-71 Hydro-Trac Tractors; 1970-72 Suburbans

SA 26984 ARTIC WHITE
For Tractor Wheels, Hoods, & Attachments
(Suburban Mowers, Dozer Blades, Snow Plows, etc.)

SA 26985 CITRUS ORANGE
For 1967-68-69 Suburban Tractors; 1970-71 Custom XL

SA 26986? SIGNAL RED
For all Custom Tractors; except 1970-71 Custom XL

SA 26988 SUN GOLD
For 1972 Compact 8HP & 1972 Custom XL

SA 26971 BAMBOO
For all Tractors 1973-74-75-76

SA 26972 AZTEC GOLD
For all tractors 1973-74-75-76

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Well, ya might try talking to the paint mixing guy at the local hardware store, if they have been doing it for some years, they can probably get you very very close...but just buying stuff in a can off the shelf like krylon...forget about it matching rustoleum for example even if they are both labeled 'flat black'.

If I was forced to have a matching color, I would seek the local paint & body guy, they can usually match stuff quite well, oft times perfectly.

wwxx

·
Sears Aficionado
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. guys!

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
Ditto what wwxx said. I have taken pieces of tractor, even a chip of paint that flaked off a shield area under a bracket to local auto paint store and they matched it exactly. Now for the big surprise. Just on a lark, I took a fender into the Big orange box store and they were able to scan a corner of it and come up with 3 squirts of this, 2 drops of that and a dab of do to match the color. They didn't have the base needed so they printed out the formula and my guy at the auto paint put together a sample spritzer which matched. One was Simplicity orange, the other Cub yellow. Unfortunately procrastination over prep work, (never done yet) kept me from tying them out. But they sure looked right on sample pieces of metal.
MikeC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts