My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
hmmmm--lets see!
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of the steering gear (shaped like a fan blade) that fits an old sears 1036. It is the one on the bottom end of the rod that goes to the steering whee. I couldn't find any numbers on it other than that. It has a 10hp Tecumseh motor in it. I does not say Craftsman on it anywhere. PM me if you've got something I can use.

thanks,
mt

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
I sasw one in my "Rotary" brand parts catalog for Sears tractors ,but they dont have listings by application..I can get the part number off it tomorrow ..I think AYP (American Yard Products) made Sears/Craftsman tractors most of the 1980's..yours should have a model number on a tag riveted somewhere on it,usually under the seat..with that number you can lkook up parts on the Sears Direct parts site,and the first 3 digits will indentify the maker..(see "sticky" post at the beginning of this forum for the breakdown of who makes what for Sears going by the model numbers first 3 digits)..

·
hmmmm--lets see!
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
seat and battery location

OK,
I'll have to tear the seat off. Someone bolted a JD seat solid to it. The thing that seats this apart from all the other GT's I have is the location of the battery. It is under the hood instead of under the seat. I'll have to check out the reference section; I'm still not up to speed on this site and what it entails. It seems pretty comprehensive.:thanku:
Thanks,
mt

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Sounds like you need a custom type of steering - do you have a pic of what you need?

·
hmmmm--lets see!
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here are the numbers one of the kids found beneath the seat.

917-255270

0049 V04178(?) not sure about the eight I guess

Thanks,

mt

BTW the Craftsman manual sticky couldn't come up with a manual. Maybe we still have the number wrong but the kid double checked and was sure.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Hello manytractors. I took your model number to sears partsdirect.com, and plugged it into the model # block. I was then able to look at the IPL for this little tractor. The part you are looking for is #6 on the Steering and Front Axle page, called the Steering Sector Assembly, part # 677A1. Unfortunately, Sears shows this part as NLA, no longer available. My parts house of choice, Outdoor Distributors also shows this part as no longer available. I did a google search for AYP 677A1, and found nothing. AYP stands for American Yard Products, the manufacturer of your tractor.

However, at Tractor-Holic's suggestion, I dug out my 2008 Rotary brand replacement parts catalog. They offer part# 6887, which is a replacement for AYP-102787X. This looks very much like what the IPL for your tractor showed on the picture for 677A1. My catalog lists the ID of the center of the sector as 1/2'.

Go to the following websites: searspartsdirect.com, put your model number in the model block, open the page for Steering and Front Axle. Look at the drawing for the steering sector. Go to m-and-d.com, put RO-6887 into the search block at the top left of the page. When the item opens, enlarge the picture and look at it. Now, compare all of this to the actual sector on your tractor. See if they will work.

You can order the Rotary part from m&d, or if you have a small engine repair shop locally, they should be able to order it for you.

Good Luck!!!

Seth K. Pyle

Hey, I was able to upload the steering diagram from searsparts direct and the picture of the Rotary 6887 sector. Check them out.

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
Seth,I thank you for doing all that legwork!--I haven't been in my garage since Monday due to a bad backache that wont quit,to look in my Rotary book..thats the gear I saw listed I thought may fit!..

I dont understand WHY so many manufacturers use such a cheesy steering setup to start with,then discontinue the very parts needed to repair the tractor..leaving you screwed,or having to scrounge up a decent used one (if such a thing exists!)..

I have "repaired" one tractors steering gear that was like the one pictured by chopping a section out of an old flywheel/flexplate I found at a junkyard that happened to have the same tooth pitch and diameter,and I welded it onto the original after grinding all the teeth off!..never did work "perfect",but at last it was "useable" again..

I say someone should engineer a retrofit steering BOX that will bolt in without too much hassle,to eliminate the poorly designed and weak "open" steering gears..even my Suburbans still had open steering gears,and are no longer available from Sears or other sources..I'll swap in a gear reducer if it comes to the point the steering gears break or wear out if I had too,no sense in scrapping an otherwise nice tractor,just because of that..

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Several of those 'sector' assemblies have been showing up on ebay, usually been listed by the guys that part out old tractors. I got a replacement steering sector for my LT4000 this winter, used, but not abused, quite inexpensive. I think the shipping was more than the cost of the sector.
Just another source.

Hope you feel better T-A.

·
...knows the muffin man.
32 Posts
Ironically...

I started a thread about my steering on my tractor a couple of days ago. I believe the spindles rusted up, and then... I broke a tooth on that fan gear your talking about.

Doh.

Looking on ebay for one now.

·
hmmmm--lets see!
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a perfect picture of the part in question. On my way to a family reunion this weekend I ran into a GT graveyard and low-and-behold he had a number of these old LT-1036's. Most had the steering parts robbed out already. However, I did find one that was nearly new. It was so nice that I bought the steering rod w/worm gear as well. I'll install new parts this week. Oh, the family reunion was at an old hunting lodge and it was a blast with swimming, volley ball, checkers, chess, music, hot tub and skeet shooting. We had an original HOOT.

Thanks for the hard work; I appreciate it. If I can help somehow let me know. After all I did find about 5-6 acres covered with GT's this weekend!

mt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ironically...

I started a thread about my steering on my tractor a couple of days ago. I believe the spindles rusted up, and then... I broke a tooth on that fan gear your talking about.

Doh.

Looking on ebay for one now.
I also broke several teeth on the steering sector "fan" gear on my 917-2559** trying to manhandle progressively stiff steering. The spindles were thoroughly lubed. Turns out it was the bellcrank under the front axle that was frozen. The excessive torque I put on the steering wheel is what broke the gear teeth. I have the steering sector gear out (that was easy) but still haven't figured out how to drop the bellcrank. Now, the archeological dig for parts begins... ~FH

·
hmmmm--lets see!
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did find the right fan gear for the steering, however, it was attached to an arm very similar but different than the arm on my GT. I had to grind off the rivets on both an bolt my steering arm to the new fan gear. I bought this tractor like this and discovered the reason for missing teeth; seized spindles! The off side one was so bad I had to drift it out. It's free and greasy now and steers fine.

Good Luck guys,

mt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts