My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be resurrecting this, my old man's tractor, bringing it back to life after 35 yrs. of sitting idle in the garage.

1 thing I know is that it has been in there and kept bone dry for all that time.
1 thing I don't know is how he put it away.
He has know idea, which blows my mind, and I just can't go there with him cause it'll turn into an argument.

So it'll just be easier for me to do a quick check. I plan on doing the basics. Drain fuel from tank, fuel lines, pull plugs....

I've already preemptively acquired some basic parts that my gut save time and aggravation by just replacing the before firing the motor. Fuel lines, in line fuel filter, air cleaner, oil filter, spark plugs, fuses, intake manifold gasket, diaphragm gasket, couple other misc. gaskets....obviously new battery

I was thinking I should probably pick up a new v belt?

I think those parts should just about do it for basics.....

Anyone have any other input as to anything I'm missing so I can get the parts and have them in hand before I make the drive from MA to PA to grab this pig I'm open ears, please chime in.

It has an Onan MS-BG 2980a 18 HP engine.

When my mother told me they gave away the 48" mower deck we had for it and metal drop gate trailer for hauling wood and stuff around I just about lost it. Oh well.....

Looking forward to this and will be sure to post up along the way!!

Thanks
Pat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you bringing this tractor home?
If you are taking this home. I think I would just save the aggravation and push it onto the trailer and get it running at home. I've moved 3 non running tractors this size the last couple years. Two I did by myself. I winched them on with a big ratchet straps.

I had a Sears as a few years ago. If I had the room, I would have kept it. They are nice.

Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Nickletwin thanks for the input. So that's the other thing....lol

I was originally planning on doing just that. Just getting it into the bed of my truck, and just getting it home.

Would be alot easier then having to load up tools and not forget anything......

But they/we do have a nice size 2 car garage that would be nice to do the preliminary work in of trying to get it fired up.

Also a good friend of mine is going to be there at the same time as me and he had done this with his old man's 72' cub cadet. So he has already been through the motions......

Now you've got me 2nd guessing my plan of attack. Just get in in the truck and deal with it at home with all my tools within reach or get it running then and there?

It would be nice to silence my parents, who are the most non-mechanicap people I have ever met in my life, by getting it running. And be able to drive the tractor up into the truck.....and more importantly be able to move it on it's own power when I get home......

More input please.....lol

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,099 Posts
I would take it home and work on it. You'll need to take a bunch of stuff off to get it going properly anyway. You need to take the fuel tank off (which requires either taking the fenders or seat and spring off), change the fuel line and filter, file the points, change plugs, and you should take the intake/carb off, and clean the carb very well. I wouldn't worry about the belt till you get the tractor running, but the belt is a 5/8" by 83" kevlar or Power Rated belt.

·
10,190 Posts
Just found your thread Pat. I agree with just getting it home first. They roll fairly easily and it shouldn't be too hard to get in your truck with a set of ramps. That way you can work at it at your leisure and everything is there. Nothing worse than trying to hurry far from home

Tagging along for this thread :)

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol....I here ya. Coming Ng soon trying to get the window to get down to PA and grab it from MA.

Between work, kids, etc.....well you guys know.......

Shooting for next week......stand by

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
you going to keep it or give it back to him
this was all new high tek to him in the day. it is/was only a lawn mower to him

john

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear ya no2498.......my Pops is 80 yrs Old and has 0% interest in it.

Just got down here to PA. Took a quick look at the tractor sitting in the garage. Kills me to know it has just sat there idle for all this time. I was checking out the dash and saw the ignition. Then it got me to thinking, I hope he has the key!! Key is MIA......sucks. Mom and Dad have no clue where it is. I'm writing it off as gone.....are these keys universal? Gonna call my local Sears in the morning....found this.....

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/product/2fx87j1vgw-0071-071

I'll know more in the morning........might just be putting this thing in the truck and wrenching on it at home. Would love to fire it up though.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Good luck with Sears, they are out of the service business. Aftermarket switches are readily available if you can't locate a replacement key.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also.....at least 1 of the rear tires is shot. Big dry rott crack. I'm assuming the others are the same. I'll know more in the morning.

I plan on winching it up into my truck with the come along and the aid of a steep hill. Going to pull it down the driveway out to the hill then winch it into the truck.

Any advice on how not to damage the rims while moving it with flat tires?

·
15,000 +posts!
19,711 Posts
You can buy a key just about anywhere--most lawn & garden tractors ignition switches all have the same "cut" on the key..
I've seen some at Lowe's and Tractor Supply for about $3..
Or use one of your other tractors keys ,if you already have one..

I doubt the rims will get harmed with flat tires on them if you drag it with a winch..they are pretty thick steel..
If you can find some 12" ATV tires ,I'd go with those instead of looking for "original" tires or the thin junk ones sold nowadays for tractors..they crack and rot quickly..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I gotcha Tractor-Holic.....that was my plan , I found some nice carlisle ATV tires.

I picked up a universal key at tractor supply and it doesn't fit. It turns the ignition to the on position and I can get it to the start (turn over) position, but it won't start. It does nothing.....

The key I picked up at TS looks different then the one I found on Sears parts direct. The one they show, looks like it has a pointy tip. I'm thinking it goes into the ignition further, but it's hard to say without seeing it. I know I could try a thin screwdriver but I don't wanna break it......

In the on position, the headlights work and I can here the hour meter ticking. When I turn it to start, nothing.....

Bought and installed a new U1 250 COld Cranking Amps Batt. The old one had no indication of how many CCA's it was. But......tractor supply only had 1 U1R and it was 250 CCA's. The gas tank and fuel lines were bone dry. I put new fuel lines on and fuel filter, 2 new spark plugs and used ethynol free gas. The air cleaner bowl was clean as a whistle.......

Was a real bummer, I really thought it would fire, but at this point I'm just glad to have it in the back of my truck. Making the long way home back to mass in the morning.......then I'll wrench on it some more.......

That's all for now....

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Likely one of the safety interlock switches was preventing the starter from being enabled. The deck is gone, and most have a switch that disables the starter when the deck lever is in the engage position, so that might be your problem. You also have to have the brake/clutch depressed and be in neutral.
Looks good, and the tires are only flat on the bottom. Somehow family communications seems to only work now and again in many many situations. My fathers parents sold the cottage he had helped build as a teen because they misunderstood his plans on moving back to the midwest. He was very upset, understandably. These things just seem to happen and are just a part of family relations.
tom

1 - 20 of 86 Posts