My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Sears rototiller with a Briggs Stratton on it. It attaches to the three-point hitch of my SS/16. The drive cover clearly states "Sears", but the serial tag states "Roper". I realize that Roper manufactured many of these products for Sears.

The model number is shown as 740. The area for the serial number is unstamped, meaning no serial number. My problem is that I'd like to find a manual for this little beast, but my Google searches have come up empty.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
I have a thread in the Sears forum with manuals in it. I have this one in the set. If you don't want to search for it, PM me with your email address, and i will send you the PDF.

-james

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James, I wasn't aware of your manuals collection before. Yes, I found the one I needed, and many thanks to you for this.

BTW, thanks as well for not trying to profit from work that was written by Sears or other manufacturers. I've never understood how some people do that without a conscience.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
James, I wasn't aware of your manuals collection before. Yes, I found the one I needed, and many thanks to you for this.

BTW, thanks as well for not trying to profit from work that was written by Sears or other manufacturers. I've never understood how some people do that without a conscience.
You're welcome. Most of them came freely to me, so i pass them on.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
hey guswah, how about some pics of your tiller?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My tiller looks very similar to yours, minus that nice shiny paint job on the engine. It's dark here now, but I'll shoot a photo later today. I'm dying to hook it up and use it, but I'm missing the small turnbuckle (with roll pin) on the 3-point hitch. My tractor never had one since I've owned it, unfortunately. It does appear that I buy either an entire 3-point hitch or nothing at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
And here's the old beast -- I gather it's done a fair bit of work in its day. If I have time this winter I'll strip it completely apart and refresh as much of it as possible. A bit of new paint wouldn't hurt either.

Attachments

·
16,524 Posts
Nice--how did you run up on that?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, there's an old guy in southern British Columbia with about a dozen Suburbans -- only one or two working -- and about 50 implements -- probably only a few of those working too. I told him what I was looking for, so he dug out the rotospader. He couldn't get it started, but in about 10 minutes he had the Briggs & Stratton off and another one installed. The unit as you see it above was not cheap, but in my view very much worth the $350 he insisted on.

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
I got a big one too!:trink40:

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
i wish mine was that big :banghead3

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
I just picked one of those up 2 days ago; mine is the front tine tiller (walk behind) version; it looks identical except for having the handles on it and the "HI' LO" and "REVERSE" on it where the round block off plate is on yours; I see how they attached the 3 point version and may adapt this one; and remove the handles. With my knees and rt ankle I ain't "supposed to" run a tiller no more;
my tiller is the made-for-Sears version is the same aqua blue as the Suburbans were; and is called "ROTO-SPADER; I dont think it has many hours as evidenced by the not-worn-out tines and the original still legible stickers on teh tines.
I had a 6HP rear 3-point version years ago; the 6 HP was a good "mosquito fogger"; that was about "it"; thatw as, until I repowered it with a then brand new 8HP, HM-8) series Tecumseh and it was a totally different animal. it was the "biggest" version of that tiller they sold. I tilled up my yard where I lived then and when I moved (here) in 98 I sold that one.

I put a new "hotdog" style screw in muffler on the one I have now; I se I'm gonna have to add a 45* street elbow between the block and muffler so my hand doesnt fry while shifting that lever; the engine paint matches the rest of the tiller so I am sure it's the orig engine that it had new; the "CODE" on the 8HP B&S atarts with "74XXXXX" so I can pretty well date it going by that.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Small Fry, how wide is yours. Is mine one of the big ones? It does not have those supports.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, Small Fry, that's an interesting bar that appears to support the front of the tine assembly. That bar seems to be tied in with the tine spindle. What's the model number on yours?

And by the way, with that nice, white paint job, aren't you afraid to get the darned thing dirty? :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Mine is 39 inches wide and the model is 917.251893. I beleave Randy's is the same.

Skippy I'm not sure the size of yours.

Gus, it gets dirty but having a good coat of paint on it makes it real easy to clean. Only the bigger tiller has a support bar. They must figure the others didn't need it ??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts