My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey does anyone have a planter with the fertilizer box still on it? I just bought one yesterday for $140 with 7 plates, and only thing I know its missing is the fertilizer box, OH and it came with the ORIGINAL manual!!!! So does anyone outh their have one I can either borrow to take the measurements or can you take some measurements or something....I gotta repaint mine the previous owner painted it JD yellow and green cause he was using it on his JD......Thanks!

·
That there's worth fixin'
1,892 Posts
Cool you got the seed plates STF. I think they only made 8 in all. You could plant acres with one of those. I have an old David Bradley 3 point with 5 plates The no is 597.59890. Blue color one. Mine never had the fert. option but I'd like to find one. Always seem to be rusted to junk. Lots of times the seed cover for the planter is missing too. Not that common of an attachment I think. Cool you got the manual too!

·
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I was looking at the manual, its its missing the seed box cover too(didnt notice it was missing) Ive got the book, ill see if I can scan it and get some pics out of it...And my ID tag says Sears on it, the mdoel # is(as taken from the manual) 597.261620 the book is in decent shape on wrote in in like 2 spots and doesnt hurt its use!!!! the plates are all labeled(owner wrote on them with permanent marker) and he only used the sweat corn plate... My book gives me the part# for 11 different plates, and I got 7 if I remember right(im not sitting with the planter its out side haha).... so Im not missing to many..I thought about having them remade so as some of the others can have plates cause I no the plates are ALWAYS lost......and my plates dont show the use so they would make GREAT patterns!!!

·
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, heres a picture of the planter(i can get more till my camera battery dies cause we cant find the charger) and I got a picture of the 6 seed plates that are out of it, one is still in it(sweet corn plate in it)....

Attachments

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
there is a member on here with an SS12 whose user name is queenofspades or something like that. she has a complete one. i would PM her

·
That there's worth fixin'
1,892 Posts
Mines a 59 but looks like yours. I checked the manual says 11 different plates. I'd buy a set if someone made them. I don't know how to do it but probably with dies and a press. There would be some work in the dies but once you had those I'd think you could make the plates at will to order. Somebody here probably has done that kind of work.

·
Banned
294 Posts
If you can get the dimensions of the holes, have it lazer cut or water jetted then powder coated. They'll outlive you.

·
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wont do power coat that cost to much...BUT i can get them black Oxided, it will proctect them a little and I can get that done for free cause i work in a black oxide shop! im prolly goona check into some plates being made...

·
Banned
294 Posts
Shouldn't cost you more than $5-$10 each for powder coat. But Oxide for free every few years is nice too.

·
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
around me all the powder coaters want a minimum charge, and even 50 plates prolly wouldnt make the minimum charge....But yes Free is ALWAYS good!!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Thats awesome!! You can PM A1CNC about making the metal stuff. I sold him one of my SS16's for the motor- he has a nice cnc shop and plasma cutting machine in his garage. he would love the work.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hey does anyone have a planter with the fertilizer box still on it? I just bought one yesterday for $140 with 7 plates, and only thing I know its missing is the fertilizer box, OH and it came with the ORIGINAL manual!!!! So does anyone outh their have one I can either borrow to take the measurements or can you take some measurements or something....I gotta repaint mine the previous owner painted it JD yellow and green cause he was using it on his JD......Thanks!
Do you still need the measurements for the fertilizer box? I have one that is partially rusted out on one side. There is enough of it left to get good measurements though. Would be about 2 weeks before I would have time to get done.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I have a several of these planters and one has a real good fertilizer box on it.Its more to it than just the box but it could be fabbed up.

·
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Id LOVE to get measurements or even borrow a box or buy a box!!!! carb board cut outs what ever it takes!! I wanna put mine back right, and then prolly only use it once and store it in my basement....I dont garden anymore but I feel these planters are worth having..my friend puts out about 2 acres of sweet corn, might plant it for him next year!! haha

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
I hate to revive an old thread, but John, I have one of these for sale. PM me if you are interested.

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sorry to bring this up, again, but I've got a planter, and I'm looking for the manual too. Did you ever getyours copied? I also have a fertilizer that I could copy for you if you're still looking for that. Did you ever get any traction on getting more plates made? I'd be interested if you do! Thanks!

·
7000 posts and climbing!
7,145 Posts
Those things look funky. I would think a fertilizer box would be simple to make. The tricky part would be how to get the right amount of fertilizer to drop through it.

·
Member: Special K Club
1,556 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks for the link! However, I noticed that most of the diagrams are blacked out. Is this normal? I was hoping to see a breakdown as I go through and rebuild mine, that way I know how things go back together! Again, thanks for all your help!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts