My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a 70's age, but I don't know Sears stuff well enough to determine what it is. The description doesn mention what it is, and really doesn't even say it is running. I'm assuming it is since he didn't mention it not running.

They are asking $125 for it, which in anybody's book is a decent price, for a complete LT with deck. But is it a GT and what is the model possibly?

Attachments

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
late 70's early 80's garden tractor , hard to tell what engine from pictures , offer 75.00 see what happens .

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Thats a really good Sears Suburban, looks like a ST-16. Very Heavy duty. I'm guessing mid to late '70's and thats a really good price, even not running. Theres a quite a few people on here with supurb expertise on these and they will be able to ID exactly what model it is. But I would jump on it for that cheap.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
I was thinking st-10 or st12 or st-16 myself. Good machine!! User bullashe just restored one of those!! Looks like a newer style dash, dimpled running boards, and plastic tank which means 76 or newer, i think it should be one of These

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks GT80! I just got off the phone with owner and he says the tractor has sat for a number of years. At last use, whenever that was, it was running. He had bought an IHC Low Boy with bigger deck to cut is sizable property. He also said the shed it is in, had some stuff stacked above it, and the stuff fell down on it and broke the steering wheel. He couldn't remember the hp or model. It only has the deck for it. I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning. Depending on what sense of it I see in his attitude, I may try to get it for a $100, I doubt anybody would go less.

I know next to nothing on these, but I work on mowers, so mechanically, I should be able to get it going again. I've got a small stable of Bolens in the shop building now, that have my attention, at the moment, doing a engine swap and restore on one.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
If it runs, even $125 is good- the steering wheels can be had on ebay for less than $20 usually, however they are a bear to get off the steering column!!

If it doesn't run, I would offer $75 for it least then he can talk you to $100... the SS16 in my avatar, i bought for $75 not running, spent about 3 hours on it, and it is my favorite tractor!! It's not perfect, but it's next candidate for a full resto once i finish the 18/6 and sell it.
-james

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I value the input. I tried to blow the photo up to see if I could see what hp it is. I can see the word Sears on the side nearest the steering wheel, and I see the ST but not the slash and not what the HP is, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Any last thoughts about what I should be checking that is something the ST's might have a historical problem? Generally speaking, it looks to be in usable condition, if the engine will actually be in good enough condition to run without having to do a rebuild.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking at the grille area, it looks like that is broken out just below the headlights.

If I were to get this, how hard will it be to get another complete grille without having to buy another whole donor tractor?

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
the grills and nose piece can be expensive for a good used one on ebay. However they are repairable. I started a resto on my ss16 earlier in the year but have gotten so busy with my shop I have the project on hold for a bit. Here is the thread http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=128671 it will show the original condition of my grill and the repair. For the asking price I would not turn it down.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You haven't got it yet??? :fing20:
The man was extremely busy today, and he is off tomorrow, so in the morning I'll be going with my trailer to get it. It'll have to have a LOT of serious stuff wrong for me to walk away. I am cringing at the grille being busted. I hope he still has the missing broken part if it can be repairable, I'm all over that, then. If he doesn't then I'm screwed.

I'll take some photo's of it. This will be my baptism into old Sears GT's.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I was thinking st-10 or st12 or st-16 myself. Good machine!! User bullashe just restored one of those!! Looks like a newer style dash, dimpled running boards, and plastic tank which means 76 or newer, i think it should be one of These
the st 10 i did wasnt a suburban mine has the flat steel front end. that one is the suburban style it is more heavy duty then mine.for that price it is a deal.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
they aren't too bad to fix. I have three i am working on right now. Fiberglass sheet and resin is the best way to do it- i have one now that i used bondoglass and expanded steel to reinforce it.. You can see it here
otherwise, you can usually get a mildy broken one (easily fixed) on ebay for around 40 bucks, or a perfect one is around 150 bucks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
You'll find a grill if you can't fix it.There's MANY of these Sears tractors around,and they are VERY easy to work on!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Im saying buy now then ask questions... Look's like an ST-16 Id offer 75 because he doesn't even know what he has. Either way it's a good deal I wouldn't pass on..

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the grills and nose piece can be expensive for a good used one on ebay. However they are repairable. I started a resto on my ss16 earlier in the year but have gotten so busy with my shop I have the project on hold for a bit. Here is the thread http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=128671 it will show the original condition of my grill and the repair. For the asking price I would not turn it down.
Ya done a good job on the grille! Maybe "my" grille will be able to be done in a similar fashion.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:banghead3 I regret to report, the man went to work today instead of being off as he said he would be. And he is leaving tonight to go somewhere out of town and won't be back until tomorrow night. I expressed my unconcern (drat it!!) about the delay and told him I'd see him Saturday.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
its either an st12 or st16, as it has the full length footboards

1 - 20 of 22 Posts