My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Sears tractors (gt5k lt2k) the front wheel bearing zerks have what I guess is a plastic cover over them. When I've popped them off before I've almost put a hole in one of them. Is there a more careful way to pop those things off?

This is probably more of a common sense thing than anything, but I don't seem to have the right tool or technique to properly get to the bearing zerks. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
I have the exact same problem with the "hub caps" on the rear wheels of my Craftsman yard tractor when taking the wheels off. I pried it off with pliers, but almost tore the boot in the process.

Now a second, very related question. Should I take off the boots on the front wheels and grease in there? The zerks on mine are accesible without taking off the boots. Also, what about the boots on the steering knuckles? Again, the zerk is accessible, but should I take off the boot and grease under there too?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You only need to remove the rub cap on the outside of the wheel, if your removing the wheel.

The grease zerk on the backside of the wheel lube's the whole spindle.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't the bearings need to be greased also? The owners manual shows it being needed, but you are saying if I grease the spindle zerk that would be good enough, right?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yea that's all you need. It only has bushing not bearings. If you took the cap off the front, and greased the zerk on the back, you would see the grease come out the front.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have a 04 gt5000 and that's how mine is, same as the older sears I have.

If your manual is telling you something different maybe yours is different but I don't think it would be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts