My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sears Craftsman FF24
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sears FF20 PTO Questions??

My PTO seems to cut out when I'm cutting grass!! I guess this would be an electrical issue??? Any feedback would be great!!

Thanks RW

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Does it completely "drop out", or rapidly switch in/out?

IF the latter, that would be a sign that the battery is getting too discharged to keep the electric clutch (EC) engaged.
Else-
Could be a bad switch (Ignition OR PTO), bad connection between them and/or the EC or a bad EC that fails when hot.

·
Sears Craftsman FF24
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stops & starts when cutting grass

·
Sears Craftsman FF24
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3 to 5 seconds on & off

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Is the battery strong enough to start the engine when this happens?

How long does it take before it starts happening? Immediately or after mowing for several minutes? If so, how many minutes?

·
Sears Craftsman FF24
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
battery starts up every time!!

I guess after I start mowing for a few Mins!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I am having a similar issue on my 24 if it makes you feel better. Mine is definitely electrical. My PTO engage works fine when battery is fully charged, but after a running for a while, it wont engage. At this point the battery is too weak to start the engine, so having either an issue with the charging circuitry or just a bad battery. Ill get a meter out and figure it out one of these days

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
I am having a similar issue on my 24 if it makes you feel better. Mine is definitely electrical. My PTO engage works fine when battery is fully charged, but after a running for a while, it wont engage. At this point the battery is too weak to start the engine, so having either an issue with the charging circuitry or just a bad battery. Ill get a meter out and figure it out one of these days
Once running, the charging system, if good, would be up to the task.'
The PTO only draws 3-4 amps + a "couple"? to power the ignition. A few more amps if you insist on using the lights.
Your battery may nor be "great", but your problem is in the charging system.
Voltage drops to a certain point and the PTO drops out.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Once running, the charging system, if good, would be up to the task.'
The PTO only draws 3-4 amps + a "couple"? to power the ignition.
Your battery may nor be :great", but your problem is in the charging system.
Voltage drops to a certain point and the PTO drops out.
I haven't had the tractor or PTO die while in use, is that what you are referring to? I have only had issues while trying to re engage the PTO after a bit of use

·
Sears Craftsman FF24
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will have to check it out,I wanted to ask before I started working on it!!

·
Sears Craftsman FF24
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the belt is to thin I tested the tractor in high grass, stops & starts when cutting the high grass. Need wider belt, more tension !!!

·
Sears Craftsman FF24
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Confirmed install 5/8 x 100 belt, tight fit !! cuts grass like a camp!!, thanks for every ones help!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts