My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I just picked up my "new" Sears FF20 tractor model 917254820. This thing is a monster and I am sure it could crush my Gt5000 if it had the chance! I got her for $200, needed work. The engine cranks but wont fire, and the paint job is ugly and needs a re-doing (he painted it flat black a few years ago). Supposedly everything else works fine, but I'll find out when it starts. It even came with a 3 point hitch. I have never worked on an onan engine before, only briggs/kohler. Does this engine have points or is it solid state? There is a cylinder on top the motor with the spark plug wires coming off it and 3 other wires. one goes to the batter and is split off with another that goes inside the harness, and the other goes into the engine somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Onan's are like a old car. Points, coil, etc. The point's are in a little box on top of the engine. That round thing is the coil. One wire from that coil goes to the points box.

The biggest problem they have is the fuel pump. Not sure which engine you have but many have the fuel pump as part of the carb.

There are manuals you can get for free here. There also is a FF yahoo group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Onan_Engine_Club/?yguid=255389921

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for info, I am really excited about getting this tractor going. I guess the first step is getting this thing off my truck without it killing me! Does anyone know about how much these weigh? The previous owner mentioned he pulled his car once with it in his driveway.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
As always:

:wwp:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Weight according to my 1981 Powerama book is 850 lbs. original color was a silver that fades and they have a tendency for rust to bleed thru the paint onthe rear fenders.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the pics as requested, shes not pretty, but sure is an awesome tractor! Theres also a couple pics next to my GT 3000 to show how gigantic this thing really is.

And heres the album with a few more pics.
http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv318/moldymac/FF20/

I did manage to get it running for a few minutes, I sanded the points and ran it off an old gas tank with a hose sitting on top of the dash, the fuel line is all rotted out and needs to be replaced. It ran pretty good and moved just fine until the points crapped out on me, now theres no spark again. The points looked pretty pitted so I am gonna have to get new ones. Oh, and that seat is just plain horrible and has to go!

·
Junk Collector
420 Posts
That thing's a beast! Keep us updated on what happens to it!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to do a full tune-up on this tractor and ran into a snag with the axle. The manual lists the oil type (type F ATF) and says it uses filter #6496j which sears doesnt carry anymore. Does anyone know a compatible fram filter? I doubt it has ever been changed as the one on the engine appears to be original.

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I worked at a large auto parts store over 10 yrs ago I had looked up cross overs for filters. My notes show for the Sears 6496J, Fram P1653A, Purolator Per20, Napa 1551.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I worked at a large auto parts store over 10 yrs ago I had looked up cross overs for filters. My notes show for the Sears 6496J, Fram P1653A, Purolator Per20, Napa 1551.
Thanks for info, I actually jut got back from napa and they mateched the 1551 to mine. I got the new points in and it fires fine, now I just have to replace the fuel line (someone took it all out) and hope the pump works. I did an oil change and removed some pretty nasty stuff, it was real light grey and smelled bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts