My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
So I am about to go pick up my 2010 Craftsman PYT9000 and am wondering what your thoughts and opinions are towards extended warranties towards tractors. I know I will be asked, my usual answer is no but this is my first tractor, and I am wondering if it's a good idea to purchase the extended warranty? The tractor will come with a two-year warranty covering the mechanical side of things, and also a five-year frame warranty. The extended is a three-year warrany and costs about $350.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I guess it would all depend on how hard you use it,, If you are just mowing an average sized yard,, Not doing any heavy plowing ( snow or otherwise ) I would say no,, But it would also depend on if the 3 year extended warranty started at the end on the 2 year standard warranty or when you purchase the tractor thereby giving you just 1 extra year of warranty.. For a full 5 years total warranty I might say yes, and just drive it that much harder.. I would also want to read the warranty "Rules" to see just how good that extra warranty is..

d

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Not sure what the regular warrany covers and how long, but usually when you buy a 2 year warranty, that's really only 1 year plus the year factory warranty.
You also should know that most Sears don't actually DO any warranty work. They have a regional guy that you make an appointment with, after a week or two, he swings by while you should be at work, looks it opver, and orders a part. A couple weeks later, he swings by while you are supposed to be at work again and puts the part on. When that doesn't fix it, he orders another part.
Meanwhile, the grass pays no heed to your predicament.

Just one scenario.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hello all,
So I am about to go pick up my 2010 Craftsman PYT9000 and am wondering what your thoughts and opinions are towards extended warranties towards tractors. I know I will be asked, my usual answer is no but this is my first tractor, and I am wondering if it's a good idea to purchase the extended warranty? The tractor will come with a two-year warranty covering the mechanical side of things, and also a five-year frame warranty. The extended is a three-year warrany and costs about $350.
from the web site

Craftsman Professional 42'' Briggs & Stratton 24 hp Gas Powered Riding Lawn Tractor

Sold by Sears | Sears Item# 07128980000 | Model# 28980 Rating 4 (16 Reg Price: $2484.99
$1987.88

Subtotal: $ 1,987.88
Est. Delivery: $ 69.99
Est. Pre-tax Total: $ 2,057.87

now $369.99 for the three year plan

add that and you get $2427.86 how is that on sale

cub cudet
LTX 1046 VT
23 HP Cub Cadet Professional Series V-Twin engine, powered by Briggs & Stratton for longer engine life, quieter operation and better ride
46" QuickAttach™ deck. 2 blade deck
MSRP: $1,999.00 - Sale Price: $1,799.00

cub cudet

LTX 1046
22 HP Kohler® Courage® V-Twin OHV engine for longer engine life, quieter operation and better ride.

Electronic fingertip engagement for smooth operation of deck or attachments
MSRP: $2,099.00 - Sale Price: $1,899.00

2010 toro (my ride)

LX468 Power, performance and value. Toro's line of LX series tractors help you create your ideal yard.
MSRP: $2,199 USD
•22 hp** KOHLER® Courage Twin Cylinder Engine
Blade Engagement Electric PTO

sears thinks there slick it's not on sale these are clones more fore a smaller deck and a big brush gaurd you will never feel the differance between a 22 23 or 24 hp I walked out the door at the toro dealer for 2250 with tax and delivery you can't beet that I like the kohler engine a lot better I was scared of the new brigs because it's like just 2 years old but so far they seam good also toro has a one pedal design for foward and reverse don't get me wrong they all seam to be good machines I like sears and I even have a family members discount but it was still more at sears than at the toro or cub shop check out my indebt revew lots of photos http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=125889&highlight=toro+lx468
I have had 3 sears in the past 82, 96, 04 or 05 cant remember and I can say they are good but at least in my area mohegan lake new york service is bad even when I had my sears with there contract the service guy that came to my house was a jerk new machine back in 04 or 05 blades were gouging the ground bent the blade big time lmachine is less than 24 hours old took them a week to get some one to my house I told the guy this thing needs gague wheel says they don't come with them they are extra I argued he says i have to charge you I said take it back he says ok ok puts wheels on no charge looks for blades in his truck only has mulching blades so he has to put two blades on instead of one lift blade he says I have to charge I was so mad that I said ok then just bill me then he was tring to get me to tip him 20 buck he is like i was not supsoe to give you those wheels for free and they are 40 bucks I said just leave now granted I have a service contract I used the machine for like 20 minutes and had to wait a week so after he leaves I call sears tell them to come and pick up the machine i don't want it explaned every thing and they took care of it then like a year later my parking brake was stuck machine would not move so I call sears discribe the guy big mustach do not send him to my house geuess who comes same guy he fixed it and told me not to use the parking brake less than a week later it's stuck again now sears is 5 miles from my house and my mother works there and that is how I was treated terable I call the main store manger he made sure a different guy came to my house he came from queens wich in traffic is like a 2 hour drive this guy was the best he fixxed every thing on the machine was here for like two hours but the machine worked better than new I really worke it hard It did not have a time meter but my new one does and I have 3o somthig hours on the toro I must have put at least 450 hours on it before the tranny died single cyclender inteck 18 hp I still have the engine and it will run for a while but just to let you know you did not get a sale you say you are gonna pick it up does that mean you have a truck because if you don't then that will cost you to have the dealer pick it up delivery is not included in wartinee work

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,713 Posts
Wow, Cosmo's post was probably the longest run-on sentence in the history of MTF. :biglaugh:I think he said he doesn't like Sears.:confused:

Anyway, Sears extended warranty covers one additional year but includes just about everything on the tractor, and the service at your home. Some guys always buy them and others would never pay for an extended warranty. Sears has closed many of it's service centers so even if you have the means of transporting the tractor you may not have one nearby. If you are unfortunate enough to get a bad tractor, the extended warranty could pay off in the long run. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys....keep them coming. I guess my tractor will not be ready for pick up until Tuesday, so I have some time to think the extended warranty.

I guess it would all depend on how hard you use it,, If you are just mowing an average sized yard,, Not doing any heavy plowing ( snow or otherwise ) I would say no,, But it would also depend on if the 3 year extended warranty started at the end on the 2 year standard warranty or when you purchase the tractor thereby giving you just 1 extra year of warranty.. For a full 5 years total warranty I might say yes, and just drive it that much harder.. I would also want to read the warranty "Rules" to see just how good that extra warranty is..

d
I actually really only got this for snow removal. I'm not sure if I will mow with it next season, and I wont be mowing with it this season.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
from the web site

Craftsman Professional 42'' Briggs & Stratton 24 hp Gas Powered Riding Lawn Tractor

Sold by Sears | Sears Item# 07128980000 | Model# 28980 Rating 4 (16 Reg Price: $2484.99
$1987.88

Subtotal: $ 1,987.88
Est. Delivery: $ 69.99
Est. Pre-tax Total: $ 2,057.87

now $369.99 for the three year plan

add that and you get $2427.86 how is that on sale

cub cudet
LTX 1046 VT
23 HP Cub Cadet Professional Series V-Twin engine, powered by Briggs & Stratton for longer engine life, quieter operation and better ride
MSRP: $1,999.00 - Sale Price: $1,799.00

cub cudet

LTX 1046
22 HP Kohler® Courage® V-Twin OHV engine for longer engine life, quieter operation and better ride.

Electronic fingertip engagement for smooth operation of deck or attachments
MSRP: $2,099.00 - Sale Price: $1,899.00

2010 toro (my ride)

LX468 Power, performance and value. Toro's line of LX series tractors help you create your ideal yard.
MSRP: $2,199 USD
•22 hp** KOHLER® Courage Twin Cylinder Engine
Blade Engagement Electric PTO

sears thinks there slick it's not on sale these are clones more fore a smaller deck and a big brush gaurd you will never feel the differance between a 22 23 or 24 hp I walked out the door at the toro dealer for 2250 with tax and delivery you can't beet that I like the kohler engine a lot better I was scared of the new brigs because it's like just 2 years old but so far they seam good also toro has a one pedal design for foward and reverse don't get me wrong they all seam to be good machines I like sears and I even have a family members discount but it was still more at sears than at the toro or cub shop check out my indebt revew lots of photos http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=125889&highlight=toro+lx468
I have had 3 sears in the past 82, 96, 04 or 05 cant remember and I can say they are good but at least in my area mohegan lake new york service is bad even when I had my sears with there contract the service guy that came to my house was a jerk new machine back in 04 or 05 blades were gouging the ground bent the blade big time lmachine is less than 24 hours old took them a week to get some one to my house I told the guy this thing needs gague wheel says they don't come with them they are extra I argued he says i have to charge you I said take it back he says ok ok puts wheels on no charge looks for blades in his truck only has mulching blades so he has to put two blades on instead of one lift blade he says I have to charge I was so mad that I said ok then just bill me then he was tring to get me to tip him 20 buck he is like i was not supsoe to give you those wheels for free and they are 40 bucks I said just leave now granted I have a service contract I used the machine for like 20 minutes and had to wait a week so after he leaves I call sears tell them to come and pick up the machine i don't want it explaned every thing and they took care of it then like a year later my parking brake was stuck machine would not move so I call sears discribe the guy big mustach do not send him to my house geuess who comes same guy he fixed it and told me not to use the parking brake less than a week later it's stuck again now sears is 5 miles from my house and my mother works there and that is how I was treated terable I call the main store manger he made sure a different guy came to my house he came from queens wich in traffic is like a 2 hour drive this guy was the best he fixxed every thing on the machine was here for like two hours but the machine worked better than new I really worke it hard It did not have a time meter but my new one does and I have 3o somthig hours on the toro I must have put at least 450 hours on it before the tranny died single cyclender inteck 18 hp I still have the engine and it will run for a while but just to let you know you did not get a sale you say you are gonna pick it up does that mean you have a truck because if you don't then that will cost you to have the dealer pick it up delivery is not included in wartinee work
Thanks for the advice....I have looked at the Cub's but from my research the Cub that I was looking at, and this tractor appear to both be made from MTD. I went with the PYT9000 because of the heavier frame.
I picked my PYT9000 up for 1789.99 + tax, and I got the snow blade for an additional $220.00.
I have quite a bit Sears stores around me, I will look to see how far away their service centers are, and yes I have the means to pick the tractor up. I actually want to pick the tractor up so that I can gas it up and drive it around for a bit before I take it home. If a problem arises, I'm right there to bring it to their attention and get it resolved.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was able to get the extended warranty for my 2008 DYS 4500 for $150. I am now on my third manual transmission (leaks) and it is out of the two year warranty. It is leaking yet again so the warranty may kick in for a replacement due to all of the previous repairs.

The local tech people for my repairs have always been great. I normally only have to wait a couple of days for them to show up.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the advice....I have looked at the Cub's but from my research the Cub that I was looking at, and this tractor appear to both be made from MTD. I went with the PYT9000 because of the heavier frame.
I picked my PYT9000 up for 1789.99 + tax, and I got the snow blade for an additional $220.00.
I have quite a bit Sears stores around me, I will look to see how far away their service centers are, and yes I have the means to pick the tractor up. I actually want to pick the tractor up so that I can gas it up and drive it around for a bit before I take it home. If a problem arises, I'm right there to bring it to their attention and get it resolved.
well thats good at least you are getting a fair deal but the frame is the same in all models I talked about

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was able to get the extended warranty for my 2008 DYS 4500 for $150. I am now on my third manual transmission (leaks) and it is out of the two year warranty. It is leaking yet again so the warranty may kick in for a replacement due to all of the previous repairs.

The local tech people for my repairs have always been great. I normally only have to wait a couple of days for them to show up.
those types of manual transmission useuly do not use any type of oil but instead use a realy thick grease so if you are puting oil in it some how it would leak out because there are no seals

·
Registered
302 Posts
those types of manual transmission useuly do not use any type of oil but instead use a realy thick grease so if you are puting oil in it some how it would leak out because there are no seals
That is the problem the techs stated...they went from the thick grease to 80/90w gear oil and they have had lots of problems with them since the switch. I even had one shipped to me that was leaking in the box. I just checked this evening and the other side is starting to leak.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
I bought a new Craftsman LT in 2001. The extended warantee came with lifetime tire replacement, so I thought the warantee was a good deal. The gas tank developed a leak, at the seam. They came out to replace it without a problem, I just left the tractor out on the lawn and went to work. Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts