My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to this forum and also new to the sears custom 7. just bought it with a snow blade and a snow blower. motor was weak in it so i replaced it with a 9 hp troybilt motor with the horizontal shaft. the problem im having is the old motor didnt have a pulley on it for the blower. i have the original belt and the original pulley on the blower but nothing for the motor. outside diameter on the blower pulley is 5 inches and the 1 i put on the motor is 4 1/4" inches(had 1 at the house). it is to tight as it doesnt disinguage from the motor totally when the handle is pushed in. it also doesnt throw the snow more than about a foot. can any 1 please tell me what size pulley goes on the motor for 1 of these old girls? its my belief it isnt spinning fast enough which would mean a bigger pulley on the motor than the blower(blower is already a 5" and is stock). any help would be appreciated as i will go to store and get a new belt and pulley tonight b4 the storm comes in tomorrow. thanks!

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
I believe there is an origional pulley on ebay right now... HERE it is!

Okay, You probably should have gone with a plow, because guys usually have a hard time with 12s throwing the white stuff. I am probably going to use a 6m for plowing this year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any idea on the size? your reply says there is 1 on ebay. i have a new motor that turns 3500 rpm's compared to much less on the original motor that was on it which was good for its day. i live in northern wisconsin and i tried the blade i have for it 1st. pushed the heavy snow but left a mess and the front end floats. if the blower will work on this i would rather pitch the snow and the little bit of gravel into the edge of my woods instead of pushing it into my lawn. sold the 4wheeler with the plow to get away from that! lol

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
There is a link to the ad in the word HERE on my other post, not sure of the size, but a newer motor is really never better. Cast iron is 10x better than alum. and the older ones put out more torque, and last longer in a slow moving machine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks dane. got it. am i looking at this wrong? that looks like about a 2" in diameter pulley. that would solve my belt tension problem, but by going smaller on the motor pulley that would slow down the spin at the blower right? its almost like it isnt fast enough with the 4"

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
I might be because the snow is too heavy, or there is too much strain on the motor, and the motor's rpms are decreasing when you engage the blower.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats the funny part. there is no strain at all on the motor. the snow will shoot out of the blower about a foot. granted it was a very heavy snow, but the motor didnt labor even the slightest. after about 20ft of the driveway the blower would clog and then the tractor would push the snow just like a a plow blade. i had a little row on the same side of the tractor i was blowing out of about a ft. away. faster spin to shoot the snow farther?

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
I'm sure its the snow then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if any 1 who has 1 of these custom 7 sears tractors happens to read this im still looking to find out what the diameter of the pulley is that is on the motor to drive the snow blower. thanks. good night

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Custom 7s will have the same as them all, the tractors all had the same blower and pulley size. I would guess 2-2 1/4"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts