My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, Brian here new to the forum. Great sight with lots of info. So heres the deal. I just got a Craftsman Custom 10XL 917.25590 It's actually in really good shape. I don't even know if it will run or not because the starter was taken off and used for another project (I'm guessing)before I got this Lawn tractor. So I don't have a part number for the starter. I found a plate with numbers on the side of the engine. The numbers are model# 143-619012 Also on the other side of the engine is a 69V. What is the part number for the starter so I can try to find one. I asked Sears and they want and they said it was a 33-716 but I don't know for sure( and the rep seemed like he didn't know for sure either). Well they want like $250.00 (which is way more than I paid for the whol tractor) I saw part number 33835 and they look exactly the same. And I found one of those on ebay for like $50.00 or $60.00I don't know if theses parts are enterchangeable or not.

Thanks for all your help,
Brian

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
:MTF_wel2: Unless I am mistaken(as usual), the starter is also a generator/altenator to recharge your battery. Needto make sure the cheap one is actually the correct style. :goodl:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. I didn't know that. Does anyone have one for sale on here? Does anyone have a part number and how much I should pay for one?

Thanks again:thanku:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,401 Posts
That would be a Delco-Remy starter/generator,my two Suburbans have them,they look almost identical to your 10XL too..many other HP engines on Sears tractors used the same starter/generator..not sure,but other brands like IHC Cub Cadets and Bolens may also use the same ones,but some spin in the opposite direction too,than yours needs too,so it would be best to track down a used one or at least a part number to reference too..

You might be able to start it using a rope on the pulley the belt from the starter goes too on the flywheel..your engine most likely has a magneto,so no battery is needed to get spark..it may or may not have points,some had solid state ignition,some didn't..

·
15,000 +posts!
20,401 Posts
Oops!..I see no pulley on your flywheel,guess that got stolen too!..unless you have it and its not bolted on,you'll need to find that too..

You might be able to tow it with another tractor and start it by putting it in third gear ,high range,and turning the key on,after adding gas and turning the fuel shut off on,and popping the clutch at about 5 mph on a tar driveway..

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm not 100% positive that this is correct,I looked up your engine model numbers at Sears parts website and it's showing a different picture and,I think the part number for the starter is 32819.I have a Tecumseh parts book that has a cross reference to Craftsman numbers and it's showing that your engine is an HH100 and that it uses either a 32817 or a 33835 starter,neither of those are cheap starters but you can find them used on ebay,I've had a couple of them over the past few years but I don't have any right now.If it's the 32817 or 33835,it would bolt onto the engine block under the fuel tank,there should be a ring gear on the back side of your flywheel and two bolt holes in the block about 3in apart.I can see it looks like your blower housing has a bump in it for the starter so maybe that is the correct number.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They actually left 2 out of three bolts ( yeah I'm shocked too) Well I went ahead and bidded on one on ebay. So worse case I have to pay for shipping to return it if it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That would be a Delco-Remy starter/generator,my two Suburbans have them,they look almost identical to your 10XL too..many other HP engines on Sears tractors used the same starter/generator..not sure,but other brands like IHC Cub Cadets and Bolens may also use the same ones,but some spin in the opposite direction too,than yours needs too,so it would be best to track down a used one or at least a part number to reference too..

You might be able to start it using a rope on the pulley the belt from the starter goes too on the flywheel..your engine most likely has a magneto,so no battery is needed to get spark..it may or may not have points,some had solid state ignition,some didn't..
TH

You can tell this tractor is a gear/car type starter. If you look at the blower shroud, under the gas tank, you see the blower shroud has a bump out. That's for the the starter. The older one's like yours don't have that. :fing32:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Small Fry I think that is the one I'm bidding on. Once I get it I'll let you guys know either way (if one it fits,2 if it works LOL)

·
15,000 +posts!
20,401 Posts
I see that now that you mention it Small Fry--my bifocals strike again!..(feel like Mr.Magoo ever since I got these *** things!--cant type ,cant SEE,and I feel like I'm half blind lately!)..

the fact the tractor still has the same chassis that looks like you could still bolt on a starter/generator, threw me off..I'm thinking my HH120's may have the bulge there too,maybe not..have to look closer next time I go in the garage..

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I figured to pass some time I would spray some carb cleaner and wrap some rope around the pully and low and behold it started. It was completely out of gas and it looked pretty rusty inside the tank. So I took the tank off sprayed some WD40 threw in some ball bearings and shook the [email protected] out of if several different times cleaned it all out with gas. Straped it all in put a fuel filter on put new gas in sprayed the carb with carb cleaner and bingo. It started. It ran pretty good but I has to swith between running it with the choke on and off. So I guess I'll have to do some adjustments on the carb.
So all I can tell is the starter broke and the guy could start it anymore. Call sears and found out it was $250 plus labor so he sold it.

Wooo Whooo!!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's kind of funny. sold in the midwest/south it doesn't have the pulley for a snowblower. I've never seen a 10XL with shaft sticking out past the pulley. In a way that is too bad because that same pulley was used to power a sickle bar mower, a generator, and even some belt driven machery like a hay elevator.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys

Well the starter was shipped off yesterday afternoon.:fest30:
So now I have to try and get my the battery I have to fit and work in there.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well great news that $60.00 brand new starter installed and works perfectly. I was able to install it in about 5 min. And the 10XL runs pretty good. I just need to adjust the carb. I'll make another thread and ask how to do that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts