My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Looking for some help on this new to me 10XL.
I have been to the vintagesearsgardentractors.com site, however I am still unclear on a few things.
The model # on the tractor plate is 917-25470 S\N 8618. I am wondering what year the tractor is? I know it is either a 69 or 70, but would like to be postive if possible.

The engine has a tag that says 143-609032. Wondering if this is the original engine, and if it is a Tecumseh HH-100?

I picked this up for 50.00 and a long drive. It wants to run but I am having some fuel issues. The little fuel pump that goes into the carb pops out on its own. I am wondering if it is missing a pc, or clip, or something? If anyone can post some photos of thier pump, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am guessing I will need a carb rebuild kit. Is there such a kit available?

I have read most of the posts and threads out there, I always do before I post. so I guess I am looking for other 10xl owners and their experience, and expertise.

:thanku:

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I had that same tractor, still do have some parts kicking around. I also have all the manuals, 4 all together. The manuals have your same model numbers and say 69 on them. I still have the shift plate and my S\N was 11036. That is the engine that came with it, and yes it is a HH100.

Mine had a after market wix pump on it, but I think you can buy a kit for yours, not sure though. It will run if you by pass the pump long as there is enough gas in the tank to gravtiy feed the carb.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
thats an AWESOME way to spend $50!!!!!!!! :fing32:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had that same tractor, still do have some parts kicking around. I also have all the manuals, 4 all together. The manuals have your same model numbers and say 69 on them. I still have the shift plate and my S\N was 11036. That is the engine that came with it, and yes it is a HH100.

Mine had a after market wix pump on it, but I think you can buy a kit for yours, not sure though. It will run if you by pass the pump long as there is enough gas in the tank to gravtiy feed the carb.
Hey Small Fry, thanks for your help.

Was there a mesh grill that is missing on mine? Also, I am unable to adjust the deck height. That lever does not want to move. How do you adjust that?
The deck has the usuall cracks in it :( but all in all not a bad deal for 50.00?

What parts do you have and are you willing to part with any of it?

Thanks again.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
That is one sweet machine!!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just a few more questions..

I have a manual in pdf format for the custom 10XL. Why does it say model # 917.25061 on the manual?

I also a manual for the 10hp engine, but it says 143-629012 on that manual?

These are both different numbers than on my tractor and the engine as well.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
the engine is a tecumseh, so it has its own model and serial number.. thats the 143- .. that you see.. the 917 number is the number for the tractor

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is one sweet machine!!!!
Hey Man, thanks for the manuals. I just downloaded them :)

Thanks for the compliment as well. It is a nice machine, but the other side of the hood is a bit bent from the PO. Have no idea why someone would do that, It is obvious he did it because the muffler would not fit, that is why I was wondering if it was the correct engine. I guess it was not the correct muffler.. :crybaby:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Wow,

You got a great deal for a tractor in this apparent condition. I paid almost $300 for mine.

I have the same tractor model number and have been told it's a 1970 model. (Hood color is different and your seat looks newer)

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dancote,

The tractor has been repainted by the PO, I am assuming the hood should have been white. It still has the original Sears tires. They are somewhat dry. Any treatment for the dry tires?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The guy that bought mine new said he bought it in 70 but the manuals say 69. I guess they sold the model both years. The low S/N might be 69's and the higher S/n 70's ??

They made XL10's with other model numbers. Your pdf manuals did not come with the tractor new so the model number could be different, not that it matters.

You push the deck handle down to release and adjust how high the deck is. That little spring pops the handle back up to lock it. Read the manual. lol Yours could be rusted tight ??

I have a pretty good set of rear tires.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The guy that bought mine new said he bought it in 70 but the manuals say 69. I guess they sold the model both years. The low S/N might be 69's and the higher S/n 70's ??

They made XL10's with other model numbers. Your pdf manuals did not come with the tractor new so the model number could be different, not that it matters.

You push the deck handle down to release and adjust how high the deck is. That little spring pops the handle back up to lock it. Read the manual. lol Yours could be rusted tight ??

I have a pretty good set of rear tires.
I am sure it is rusted, I tried pushing down. I will have to free it up with some PB.
Thanks again :trink39:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow,

You got a great deal for a tractor in this apparent condition. I paid almost $300 for mine.

I have the same tractor model number and have been told it's a 1970 model. (Hood color is different and your seat looks newer)

Regards,

Dan
Any chance of snapping a few close shots if the fuel pump and carb? what holds that fuel pump in the carb? What am I missing?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
yeah i think by the serial number it is a 1970. The way the numbers on vintagesearsgardentractors works is the 917.2547X and any number from 0-9 for the last digit is still in that year. Almost all the ones i have have a different last digit than on the website.

for instance my 1978 GT18 part number is 917.257061 but they only list 917.257060 for that year. I just figure they add the last digit for month or something although that would only mean they manufacture them 10 months out of a year.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I cant guarantee that yours is exactly the same (But it probably is) because mine is a 1975

Here is a picture of the carb and fuel pump

The fuel pump is the rectangular shape to the right of the carb in the image. It has a fitting that screws into the carb body.

The hose (painted yellow) that extend below and to the left in the picture is to the engine for the air (pulse) to drive the pump

Here is another shot from a different angle

The hose in the second picture leads to the right, back to the flywheel cover and then to the fuel tank.

I hope this helps

Mark

·
Registered
355 Posts
Any chance of snapping a few close shots if the fuel pump and carb? what holds that fuel pump in the carb? What am I missing?
I'll give it a try but I'm not sure what you want. Sorry to be so clueless. I'll take the photos you want just let me know: dancote at gmail dot com

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello and Thanks,

Yes the pump is the same or close enough to it. There are some slight differences like my air cleaner is on top and my pump goes in from a different angel.. not important. My pump goes into the carb like that, but i do not see anything that holds it there. Your looks like there is some type of sealant holding it there. What keeps that thing in place? That is the only problem i have :banghead3
What the hey???? :crybaby:

Thank you for those photos, what could I be missing? It does not screw in, it just fits, but will pop right back out.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have not taken this carb apart.

I have another (NOS) LME walbro carb, (for a different application?) which has a threaded fitting for the fuel inlet.

My carb (a tecumseh? brand carb) ALREADY had the fuel pump fitting sealed with goo, when I bought the tractor.

Maybe someone else , who has more experience, can help you with this one.

Sorry

Mark

1 - 20 of 46 Posts