1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Farmer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Lack of sales and/or profit usually drives those decisions.

How many people have $7000 to spend on a tractor, and would they go to Sears for one?

Hopefully, this isn't because of excessive warrantee claims.

Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ford,
I am in the market and see one too. 26hp, k66, dif lock, 52"deck, bigger tires, 10 guage frame. At just under 3k, seems like a pretty good deal.
From what I've read, the 26/52 is a simplicity conquest clone, the 30/54 a prestigue.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Lack of sales and/or profit usually drives those decisions.

How many people have $7000 to spend on a tractor, and would they go to Sears for one?

Hopefully, this isn't because of excessive warrantee claims.

Mike
I think you nailed it right there! Most folks willing to spend $7 or $8,000 dollars for a machine will most likely go to a real dealer with service techs on site and in many cases needed parts on hand or obtainable in just a few days significantly reducing downtime. Also folks working at a dealership tend to be far better trained in their product lines. Ever try to get a technical answer out of a local Sears employee? It's not pretty, and usually way, way faster to get on MTF!

I had a walk behind weed trimmer I bought at Sears a few years ago that had a warranty issue. Had to drop it off at Sears, they then sent it elsewhere to be fixed! All told it took me 2 weeks to basically get the carb gasket changed because it was sucking air! Never again! A local dealer would have had that part in stock and the machine back to me in 3 days at most!

I do use Sears as a parts or attachment source for my Husqvarna, because 9 times out of ten their attachments fit the Husqvarna's and I get them cheaper through Sears albeit a little slower. Case in point I just ordered a Brinly Single Moldboard Plow through Sears on Wednesday because they have them on sale. Literally 5 minutes later I ordered the Agrifab Disc Cultivator from a different vendor. The Disc will be at my door tomorrow, the Plow,....Wednesday at the earliest! But for a new plow for $269.00 and free shipping, I'm happy to wait a few extra days!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I was at Sears and looking at Tractors, the sales guy said they are going to Discontinue the CTX 9500, but I should go to the Outlet Website. I did and here it is..

http://www.searsoutlet.com/CTX9500-...4&pid=92064&mode=seeAll&itemSelectionType=all

This is supposedly discounted almost 50%. Who makes this unit? Wonder why they are going to stop making these?
I'll double check, but if memory serves Briggs and Stratton Outdoor Power makes the 9500 series for Sears as well as some of the higher end Garden tractors. Husqvarna or (AYP) makes the majority of the rest of the Sears tractor line. Hence why most of their stuff fits my Husqvarna!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think you nailed it right there! Most folks willing to spend $7 or $8,000 dollars for a machine will most likely go to a real dealer
If I had that money I probably would too. Looking at those specs though, it would appear to be a good score for a mechanically inclined individual not relying on sears repair if it could be had for under 3k.

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
I agree, although all of the electronics seem overboard, and just more expensive to fix.

The posi traction is a great feature.

Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is a lot of info on this G.T. at todaysmowers.com.
It's well worth the price you showed.

I bought a CTX 9500 model #25007, 30 hp & 54" Hydraulic Lift Deck at the Richmond Sears Outlet last August.
The UPC sticker that is still on the machine says $7865.99. That's the price Simplicity wanted for a Prestige model without a Cutting Deck.
I saw them on sears.com as low as $6300 and found my #25007 at the Outlet for $4300.

They also had a #25006 (your's) for $2800, but after an hour of crawling all over them and comparing the two, I bought the #25007 and I'm glad I did.

As mentioned, these (25006/25007) are "clones" of 2012 model Simplicity Tractors, only priced significantly cheaper.
I contacted the local Simplicity Dealer and was treated like a Redheaded Step-child. The salesman was dumb to every subject I asked about. He even refused to sell me parts.

On the other hand:
Yesterday, I was prepping for this year's first grass cutting and while greasing the Blade Spindles, a Zerk fitting wouldn't "let go" of the Grease Gun Hose.
I had to really tug on the hose and the Zerk fitting came out of the Blade Spindle. They are apparently pressed-in, not screwed-in.
I called sears and explained the problem.
A Sears Serviceman will be here Tuesday morning and install a New Blade Spindle. I asked about the cost and was told everything will be covered under the Warranty.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think you nailed it right there! Most folks willing to spend $7 or $8,000 dollars for a machine will most likely go to a real dealer with service techs on site and in many cases needed parts on hand or obtainable in just a few days significantly reducing downtime. Also folks working at a dealership tend to be far better trained in their product lines. Ever try to get a technical answer out of a local Sears employee? It's not pretty, and usually way, way faster to get on MTF!

I had a walk behind weed trimmer I bought at Sears a few years ago that had a warranty issue. Had to drop it off at Sears, they then sent it elsewhere to be fixed! All told it took me 2 weeks to basically get the carb gasket changed because it was sucking air! Never again! A local dealer would have had that part in stock and the machine back to me in 3 days at most!

I do use Sears as a parts or attachment source for my Husqvarna, because 9 times out of ten their attachments fit the Husqvarna's and I get them cheaper through Sears albeit a little slower. Case in point I just ordered a Brinly Single Moldboard Plow through Sears on Wednesday because they have them on sale. Literally 5 minutes later I ordered the Agrifab Disc Cultivator from a different vendor. The Disc will be at my door tomorrow, the Plow,....Wednesday at the earliest! But for a new plow for $269.00 and free shipping, I'm happy to wait a few extra days!

Alright guys I gotta give credit where it's due. Yesterday I lamented Sears on their slower delivery,...well to shut me up guess what showed up at my house 20 minutes after I posted that! The Moldboard plow!!!.......:hide:

·
Registered
67 Posts

I bought a CTX 9500 model #25007, 30 hp & 54" Hydraulic Lift Deck at the Richmond Sears Outlet last August.
The UPC sticker that is still on the machine says $7865.99. That's the price Simplicity wanted for a Prestige model without a Cutting Deck.
I saw them on sears.com as low as $6300 and found my #25007 at the Outlet for $4300.

They also had a #25006 (your's) for $2800, but after an hour of crawling all over them and comparing the two, I bought the #25007 and I'm glad I did.

As mentioned, these (25006/25007) are "clones" of 2012 model Simplicity Tractors, only priced significantly cheaper.
I contacted the local Simplicity Dealer and was treated like a Redheaded Step-child. The salesman was dumb to every subject I asked about. He even refused to sell me parts.

On the other hand:
Yesterday, I was prepping for this year's first grass cutting and while greasing the Blade Spindles, a Zerk fitting wouldn't "let go" of the Grease Gun Hose.
I had to really tug on the hose and the Zerk fitting came out of the Blade Spindle. They are apparently pressed-in, not screwed-in.
A Sears Serviceman will be here Tuesday morning and install a New Blade Spindle. I asked about the cost and was told everything will be covered under the Warranty.
Just gotta go pick it up in the am. :D:D:D Was looking at the GT 6000-8000's parked at the store today, Anyone know what trans those come with?

·
Registered
67 Posts

On the other hand:
Not sure what somebody was smoking when they put the deck on, but it must have been good stuff. Anyway all leveled out now; -> super easy to remove the deck to get a bite on those overtorqued nuts. Not sure why they bother with the spring assist deck? An inch of travel at best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, makes me wish I hadn't gotten my gt6000 last year, that is a killer deal. I looked one over at sears when I bought mine, and they are well built, heavy duty machines. I would be all over this if I didn't buy mine last year.

·
7000 posts and climbing!
7,145 Posts
From what I understand these tractors are a Simplicity. Last I heard Briggs bought out Snapper and Simplicity and they were being made in New York and Georgia. In my opinion they are way over priced. Even at $3000 they are really expensive to mow grass. Here's the way some companies have gone.

Executive Payroll = Way-To-High

Willingness of Customers to Pay a High Price = Way-To-Low

Outcome = Executives disembowel company's assets to pay themselves while expecting public to pay the high cost. Company and/or product line fails. Stockholders pay the price (in other words, don't invest in publically traded companies).

Here's the webpage for the Craftsman/Simplicity.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/tractors/prestige

There's a Subcompact version with a way-to-high price tag also.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/tractors/legacy-xl

I have heard a lot of people say you can buy a really nice tractor with a lot less money.

·
Banned
777 Posts
From what I understand these tractors are a Simplicity. Last I heard Briggs bought out Snapper and Simplicity and they were being made in New York and Georgia. In my opinion they are way over priced. Even at $3000 they are really expensive to mow grass. Here's the way some companies have gone.

Executive Payroll = Way-To-High

Willingness of Customers to Pay a High Price = Way-To-Low

Outcome = Executives disembowel company's assets to pay themselves while expecting public to pay the high cost. Company and/or product line fails. Stockholders pay the price (in other words, don't invest in publically traded companies).

Here's the webpage for the Craftsman/Simplicity.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/tractors/prestige

There's a Subcompact version with a way-to-high price tag also.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/tractors/legacy-xl

I have heard a lot of people say you can buy a really nice tractor with a lot less money.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but not everyone wants to resurrect a 30+ year old tractor. You may feel todays machines are overpriced, but some of us are willing to pay more for a decent NEW machine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Very satisfied with the first use of the mower. Nice even cut, the traction control worked Great on my sloped rear yard, easy steering and tighter radius than expected. Only issue I had was decending a slope and keeping my butt in the seat. I should be able to adjust the pitch of the seat and/or sensitivity of the seat switch. The deck does hold a good bit of clippings, but nothing a blower can not take care of.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ford,
I am in the market and see one too. 26hp, k66, dif lock, 52"deck, bigger tires, 10 guage frame. At just under 3k, seems like a pretty good deal.
From what I've read, the 26/52 is a simplicity conquest clone, the 30/54 a prestigue.

Buy It! Asap!

·
7000 posts and climbing!
7,145 Posts
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but not everyone wants to resurrect a 30+ year old tractor. You may feel todays machines are overpriced, but some of us are willing to pay more for a decent NEW machine.
My 40 year old Sears ST16 has a 6 gauge frame and a cast iron engine block. It didn't cost much and it has done a lot of hard work. The little tractor keeps paying for itself.

I think paying $6000 to mow grass is way to high of a price. The $3000 price tag is still high for what it is. The new Craftsman doesn't have a heavy steel frame on it either. I am not sure if it will do the hard work an old tractor will do. The CTX 9500 looks like it is about the same as a GT5000 but it has a little more stuff like the engine. The engine isn't a Kohler either.

If a person is willing to pay a high price it is their wallet, not mine.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I don't want the new vs. old battle to start again (although looking at my signature will tell you which side i'm on) so i'll talk about modern tractors.

I think $3,500 is a great deal on the 9500. $7k is too much and the 8k for the simplicity is too much. I would much rather go to John Deere and spend that kind of money.

For $11,699 you can buy the Simplicity Legacy 4WD 27hp liquid cooled Kawasaki. Go to JD and spend $10,369 for the X728. Even the diesel JD is cheaper. Makes me wonder how Simplicity is still in business. Both are overpriced though.

·
7000 posts and climbing!
7,145 Posts
I don't want the new vs. old battle to start again (although looking at my signature will tell you which side i'm on) so i'll talk about modern tractors.

I think $3,500 is a great deal on the 9500. $7k is too much and the 8k for the simplicity is too much. I would much rather go to John Deere and spend that kind of money.

For $11,699 you can buy the Simplicity Legacy 4WD 27hp liquid cooled Kawasaki. Go to JD and spend $10,369 for the X728. Even the diesel JD is cheaper. Makes me wonder how Simplicity is still in business. Both are overpriced though.
Well, while your at it you might want to consider the following deal. There are countless other deals like it.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/grq/3753144512.html

Hmmmmm......$7000 divided by $1200 = 5 of the following riding mowers currently on sale for about $1200 each with about $1000 left over.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-42in...p-07128884000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

1 - 20 of 31 Posts