My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Great forum, A friend of mine purchased a house which had this old tractor sitting in the middle of the backyard according to the next door neighbor the tractor had sat there for 8 years, it even had a small tree that had grown up and around it, long story short, I helped cut tree down and he helped me lug the tractor into my pick up, I brought it home as I was into tractors this ones real old which makes it much cooler, there was no wiring in the darn thing it had all weathered away, I drained the oil cleaned everything up put new oil in and it turned over by hand :) , Put fuel into tank and a new battery and after several attempts the tractor actually fired up and ran I was shocked specially after how long it sat. Here are the issues im trying to figure out.

ok the alternator has 2 wires a red one and a black one, the red one lights up my testlight when the engine is running so I take it this is the charging one, the problem is when I hook it up to battery smoke starts pouring out from under the cover were the wires are, there is no diode on this red wire as someone cut it off is this why its smoking? can I put a diode in place to correct this issue and if so what type and size and were would I get one?

next issue after the tractor has run for a bit and I shut it down fuel puddles up in the carburetor and drips out the tiny hole on the front of the carb. is the float possibly stuck?? whats easy way to fix this?

I will try to get some pictures up later tonight, also were do I find out the model and year of the tractor is there a plate on it somewere?

here is the information on the engine Im not sure if its original motor or not maybe someone can chime in. the tractor is currently JD green with craftsman LT 11 on each side of the hood the engine number is # 252707 013201 82031911 Briggs and Stratton.

once again awesome forum I plan on spending a lot of time here thanks in advance DaveM

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Look to see if there's a Sears 917.xxxxxx number under the seat.

Do you have a voltmeter so you can tell if you are getting AC or DC from the RED wire? You might also check the Black wire too.

This might be the system where both wires used a diode. The black wire had in installed in reverse to give -DC for the lights.

The diode of choice seems to be this-
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062591

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill, No numbers under the seat, my profile picture is my tractor any idea what year it may be ? thanks Dave

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Can't help ya on the charging, if you can find motor diagram it should give you charge wies schematic. really wouldn't need the tractor model number, but that would help.
the gas in carb is probably float not closing. I have a small 12 HP Briggs on an MTD made tractor does the same thing off/on. The quick fix is to install a shut off valve in the gas line. I shut valve off, let tractor run for 30 secs and then shut it down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't help ya on the charging, if you can find motor diagram it should give you charge wies schematic. really wouldn't need the tractor model number, but that would help.QUOTE]

Thanks, Ya Im trying to figure this information out but someone pulled the tags off when they painted it and never put them back on LOL

Dave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts