My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Perhaps I should go see about pulling my spare transaxle for you, lol.....

Good luck with it man, and let me know if you need a transaxle.

·
I know nothing.
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I've been thinking about it all day while working... (First call this morning went to Philadelphia, so I had PLENTY of time to think,...)

I don't think its a "rotational" related movement which is causing these rings to let go of the axle. It's got to be a "thrusting" related movement (in/out) that is making it fail. But I have to ask, what is spec for IN/OUT play of the rim on the axle?

I can't fathom it being "0".???

Also, does anyone know if these are "hardened Steel" axles, or can they be drilled?

Joe.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If the grooves that the spiralox rings ride in is not wallowed out or anything, I don't see how any normal use of a lawn tractor could make them come undone. Same goes for a snap ring or E-clip, or C clip. It's not like it's a racing tractor or go-cart, lawn tractors simply don't go fast enough to cause a serious side loading of the axle. The worst side-loading you'll see is in going across a hill.

Or in the case of my one axle, the worst side-loading it saw was me leaning on a 2x4 as a prying instrument while I beat the snot out of the tire with a dead-blow mallet trying to get the rim off the axle shaft, lol. (please note that when I re-assembled it, I used a thin film of grease on the shaft to keep the shaft from freezing to the rim.)

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
****, sorry to hear of the repeat failure.

Nothing comes to mind as a probable cause, but I'll think on it...

·
I know nothing.
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
......I don't see how any normal use of a lawn tractor could make them come undone.
Define "Normal"...

Ok seriously, I'm stumped. I went through the whole case, looking for things that shouldn't be in there the first time. After removing the old rings, and a couple washers, there was nothing else in there (which explains why my hands were covered in Bentonite Grease..)

I also checked through the chain, gears, bearings, and the seat for the shifter. Nothing foreign...

I was meticulous with installing the new parts (Because I wanted the victory, and because I only wanted to do this job once..) Everything went back together, as planned.

It was working well too.

It worked through all the gears well, (including reverse) and everything seemed as normal.

I'm totally baffled as to what could be causing these failures. There is a little "In/Out" play on the left side rim, sliding on the axle shaft, but its what, just another washer to take the play out? I can't fathom 1/8th of an inch, at best, causing enough of a shock load to snap that ring out...

The splines on the axle ends are in decent shape, and lock into the spider gears really securely, so its not slipping in the spider gears.

I just don't know what else to do at this point except open the case back up and perform an autopsy. Then go from there....

Joe....

·
Registered
214 Posts
How did it come undone this time? Just driving down the street?

Going across a hill?

By "normal" use of a lawn tractor I was referring to the everyday use of a lawn tractor. I was implying that by racing a lawn tractor or using one for pulling you're putting stresses on things that were not forseen by the engineers. But unless you modified that lil tractor to do 30 mph lately, I don't see it exceeding "normal" use, lol.

·
I know nothing.
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well its been almost a month since I last posted in regards to this machine. After having dealt with a case of Bronchitis for over a week (who the **** gets Bronchitis in the summer???) and just some brutally hot weeks at work, I'm back to playing with tractors.

So, our story takes an interesting turn... One day, while sick in bed as if I was dying, the "young man" decides he can't wait for me to fix his tractor, that he needs it now, and took it upon himself to hammer the axles back into the spider gears in order to drive it around. :fing20:

He was seen by several neighbors throughout the week I was sick, riding and hammering axle ends whenever needed around the neighborhood. Despite my efforts to straighten out the axle ends (because they were mushroomed initially from the last owner) he pretty much re-mushroomed them again...

When I recovered, and saw him I pretty much told him I outright refuse now to reopen that case and try to fix it for a few reasons;
  1. first, I cannot diagnose what the problem is because he drove the machine around the neighborhood for a few days, hammering the axles in as needed,
  2. second, god only knows what additional damage may have been done to the gears as a result of loose parts floating around the case, AND his repeated hammering of the axles back into the spider gears
  3. third, I have yet to get a truthful story from this young man in regards to events leading up to the failure to begin with. He claims he was driving on the street, 2 different neighbors, from different blocks, seen him cruising through a dirt trail that leads behind several houses. When I told him I knew of this, he laughed, instead of admitting it.
So I told him the only way I would get involved at this point was if he secured another transaxle used from the junkyard, or order a new unit from SearsPartsDirect. He was ******, said some not nice things, and took the mower with him home.

A couple weeks go by, and he mentions to Loretta that he is getting a "new" mower (something like 500 dollars). Loretta, in a clever sort of way, prods the young man regarding his plans for this one.

"Oh, I'm gonna junk it.."

Well, that didn't sit well with Loretta, :maddd: and she blasted him something fierce for about 15 minutes. :sterb003:

Needless to say, the mower, less the rear axle, is in my possession now.

She was beaten up a little more since I've last seen her, the top of the engine hood has a dent in it now as well. Its clearly evident that this young man can't take good care of anything, but hey, its no longer my concern any more. I got most of the machine back, and I have plans for it.:thThumbsU

To see what the plans are, you can click this link to continue...

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?p=1800988#post1800988

Joe.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Stinks that he couldn't keep it nice and that he was dishonest (if not directly lied) to you

It will be well cared for now :D

·
4K Poster!!!
4,474 Posts
No point in throwing good money and effort after bad. Sounds like the kid never grew up, and doesn't take responsibility. Better to wash your hands of him. You can't save a drowning man if he won't let go of the stone!
Your efforts are indeed commendable, but it's time to let go and put your efforts elsewhere.
Just my 2¢.

·
I know nothing.
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
you guys are both right. The good thing is that now I have a 14 HP Kohler to replace the 11 HP Briggs in my '86 Cube.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I agree sorry you had to deal with this Punk but you get high kudos's from me on trying to help him. :fing32:

I wonder if I talk with his Parents would do any good ? I doubt it because if they had taught him right in the first place this wouldn't be an issue !

Whats to become of the future with the way kids and parents are these days ? :banghead3:banghead3:banghead3

Ron

·
4K Poster!!!
4,474 Posts
Whats to become of the future with the way kids and parents are these days ? :banghead3:banghead3:banghead3

Ron
That does worry me, but I am cheered every once in a while when I read stories of what the good kids are doing :bannana:

·
Registered
214 Posts
To think that we were all impressed at the beginning of this thread where it looked like a young person was going to actually do something useful instead of play video games all day.....

It is a real shame that so many young people (even into my age group) have absolutely no respect for anything. I used to get harassed back when I went to a tech school for carpentry/building construction during my junior and senior high school years. Every day before I put my tools away, I cleaned them off good. If we did drywall or masonry - I would wash and scrub them clean and dry them off. My other tools got wiped off and put away as well. Only took a minute or two and my tools always looked brand new. Some of them I had bought for myself and some were given to me, but I took care of every one of them. And I didn't buy cheap tools either, when we had to get drywall tools, I bought myself a nice set of stainless drywall knives with nice rubber grips and a stainless mud pan. I didn't plan on doing drywall for the rest of my life, but I wanted good tools. I was raised to take care of my tools and that they will often last a lifetime if properly cared for. I learned that lesson off of my dad who ran a concrete construction company for over 30 years - all of his trucks were kept washed and waxed all the time. As a result, his 1989 F-350 still looks in excellent condition (except for the bed which rust got a foothold under it and rusted from the inside out). But the cab still is in excellent shape - no dents or scratched paint and rust is only now starting to attack the front fenders - on a truck that has lived outside it's whole life of over 20 years.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
To think that we were all impressed at the beginning of this thread where it looked like a young person was going to actually do something useful instead of play video games all day.....

It is a real shame that so many young people (even into my age group) have absolutely no respect for anything. I used to get harassed back when I went to a tech school for carpentry/building construction during my junior and senior high school years. Every day before I put my tools away, I cleaned them off good. If we did drywall or masonry - I would wash and scrub them clean and dry them off. My other tools got wiped off and put away as well. Only took a minute or two and my tools always looked brand new. Some of them I had bought for myself and some were given to me, but I took care of every one of them. And I didn't buy cheap tools either, when we had to get drywall tools, I bought myself a nice set of stainless drywall knives with nice rubber grips and a stainless mud pan. I didn't plan on doing drywall for the rest of my life, but I wanted good tools. I was raised to take care of my tools and that they will often last a lifetime if properly cared for. I learned that lesson off of my dad who ran a concrete construction company for over 30 years - all of his trucks were kept washed and waxed all the time. As a result, his 1989 F-350 still looks in excellent condition (except for the bed which rust got a foothold under it and rusted from the inside out). But the cab still is in excellent shape - no dents or scratched paint and rust is only now starting to attack the front fenders - on a truck that has lived outside it's whole life of over 20 years.
Your post jogged my memory :thanku:,

You know now that you mentioned it it does seem like to guys I grew up with that gave me a hard time about taking care of what I had are the ones now that cant keep anything running or they have to buy new way before anyone else.

Hmmmmm I guess the pattern started long ago ?

Even my siblings call and complain this or that is broke down WAH Wah wah :crybaby: of the four of us (3 boys 1 girl she's the youngest I'm the oldest) my sister and I are the ones who take care of our things and one of my brothers is a certified master mechanic and prototype builder (figure that one out ?) now how did it skip the two middle boys ?

Maybe it's sour grapes on my part but it sure seems like some folks are hellbent on unnecessary outlay of cash just because they would rather play a game than take care of their stuff !

Guess I'll wait till one of them calls and asks to borrow something and I'll say have Bill Gates buy it for you he has all your money !

Ron

·
4K Poster!!!
4,474 Posts
It's my observation that some people just will not make the connections that we see as obvious, concerning their possessions. I don't get it, either, but that's the way it is. Our new Yuppie neighbors have a Mercedes sitting in the drive. They have a large, empty garage, but they leave it outside in the rain, snow, birds**t, dust, whatever. Same with their big Toyata SUV. If I had an $80,000 car, it would at least sit in the garage overnight. Heck, my old '99 Cherokee is garaged.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Sorry to hear that things turned out this way, but I guess I'd look at it as a learning experience all the way around.

Hopefully if another kid in need shows up you won't hold this one against him.

At least the Kohler will live again in another frame!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
i know this is old but
i did not see the plastic spacers that goes on the axles before the rims go on
they stop the axles from walking in/out

61 - 78 of 78 Posts