My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi have a 76 Sears ss18 and some other attachments. But wanted to know I am looking for the Sears compost mill for some wood chipping I have to do because big oak fell in my yard last summer. Just curious if I do find one will that fit on the ss18 or just the super 12 and the customs Sears tractors?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Not really sure what you think a Sears Compost Mill will do with a big oak tree other than to grind up some of the smaller branches under 1½ inches thick. They just aren't made for the big stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really sure what you think a Sears Compost Mill will do with a big oak tree other than to grind up some of the smaller branches under 1½ inches thick. They just aren't made for the big stuff. No obviously not going to do the trunk just have a of small branches that are scattered everywhere.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I have pecan trees (10) that drop branches constantly year round and mow over the smaller stuff. Anything bigger than the 1½ inch stuff just gets burned. Good luck on finding that chipper.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,091 Posts
The compost mill is only good for 1/2 branches. I had one. It is more for shredding the leaves and compost, hence compost mill. Sears did offer chippers that were made for larger branches, but I think any small engine powered device will have a hard time with 1 1/2" branches... You'll have to go really slow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank gt80 I didn't know that. I was looking for the compost mill because the exit shoot pointed down for a 5 gallon bucket to collect the wood chips. I will look for the shredded bagger then.
The compost mill is only good for 1/2 branches. I had one. It is more for shredding the leaves and compost, hence compost mill. Sears did offer chippers that were made for larger branches, but I think any small engine powered device will have a hard time with 1 1/2" branches... You'll have to go really slow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts