My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Wondering what the history of the Sears 6 speed manual transmission is. I believe it's been around, essentially the same since the Suburban's in the 60's? I know when I see one I immediately think that's a strong unit. Any info or websites would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Ev

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Well the trans that came in the ST/10, ST/12, ST/16 and the SS/16 had "Powdered metal gears" vs the "steal cut gears".

I have a old pdf file that tells a little about Disassembly and inspection.

They did come out in the mid 60's up till 03 or 04 I think it was. They had 4 and 6 pinion trans, some of the later one's were a little narrower to fit the newer tractors.

The maker is a little unclear. Some seem to think Peerless made the
high/low trans. Others think Roper/AYP made the trans.

The wired thing I never have seen the high/low in the peerless books. Peerless has manuals for every other trans going but not this one. This is what makes some people beleave there not made by peerless. I don't really know who made them. The pdf file has no name on it.

This trans was only used in roper and AYP tractors. I think peerless sold to all tractor brands.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Hello Smallfry, is there anything I can do to get you to part with a copy of that disassembly pdf? I am slowly restoring my 1986 GT18, and that would be very handy.

Thanks,

Seth K. Pyle

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the trans that came in the ST/10, ST/12, ST/16 and the SS/16 had "Powdered metal gears" vs the "steal cut gears".

I have a old pdf file that tells a little about Disassembly and inspection.

They did come out in the mid 60's up till 03 or 04 I think it was. They had 4 and 6 pinion trans, some of the later one's were a little narrower to fit the newer tractors.

The maker is a little unclear. Some seem to think Peerless made the
high/low trans. Others think Roper/AYP made the trans.

The wired thing I never have seen the high/low in the peerless books. Peerless has manuals for every other trans going but not this one. This is what makes some people beleave there not made by peerless. I don't really know who made them. The pdf file has no name on it.

This trans was only used in roper and AYP tractors. I think peerless sold to all tractor brands.
Thanks! that helps. Would you consider sharing that pdf file as this is as an area that few of us know about? Ev

·
2,261 Posts
Thanks,never knew,one thing that I haven't had to tear apart on any of my tractors,and really wouldn't want to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts