My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When rebuilding carbs, sometimes it is necessary to remove the brass or aluminum welch plugs from the carb body to do a proper cleaning job and sometimes they just come loose.

When replacing these plugs (also look like frost plugs in the block of your car engine but much smaller) it is recommended to use some sealant between the plug body and plug. What is the best sealant to use? In the old days I used to use nail polish as gasoline would not dissolve it. I have also heard that some people use epoxy.

Any recommendations? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
I too have used nail polish. There is probably a fancier solution though.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,909 Posts
Hi! Not sure about the carbs but on the crankcase there are intake plugs which are rarely removed but if they need to be reinstalled Lawnboy says to use screw and thread lock. Bill

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to my friend that owns a small engine shop and he said he used to use nail polish but didn't recommend it if the carb would ever go into a chemical bath for cleaning. He said use some JB Weld - only thing that I don't like about that is it seems too permanent and you will probably never be able to take that plug out again.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,909 Posts
On the Walbro web site, in their service manual, they recommend nail polish when installing the welch plugs. Bill

·
Registered
412 Posts
I never used anything but a drift to smoosh the plug in and flatten it out a bit to increase the diameter for a tight fit. Next time I will try thread locker. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts