My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Seafoam in gas for quite some time. I am wondering if any of you use it in the engine oil. I know it says you can but I haven't brought myself to it. A relative of mine added "Slick 50" (an oil additive) to his classic car back in the 1980's. The engine went bad and high oil consumption after that. I wouldn't want that to happen to anything "green".

·
Registered
397 Posts
I used about 6 or 7 ounces in my engine but just for about an hour of run time just before an oil change. Did not notice any problems or differences in operation. When I changed the oil it was good and black, but it usually is anyway. Hard to tell if it did much cleaning...but I suspect it did. :trink40:

·
-
1,829 Posts
I used it to clean the bottom end of my '69 112. When I got it the oil was black.

I changed out the previous owner oil and the new oil was black again in very short order on the dipstick, after the change/running the engine. Ran some Sea Foam in the oil for a bit (ran engine for 20-30 minutes) and then changed the oil again.

The oil actually looked new on the dipstick instead of black after the Seafoam treatment. So hukd on Seafoam werkd fur me (I'll bet there's members on here that won't get that reference since it was before they were born :)).

I don't think I'd leave it in there all the time...seems to work for post-oil change cleaning though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I used seafoam in my truck at about 50 miles prior to an oil change and it worked well. I had a sticky lifter making noise and it cleared up just fine. Haven't used it in my 345 Kawasaki motor, but I don't think I'd be afraid to use it.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I find it very odd that no OEM truck, auto or OPE mfg'er recommends or ever has recommended any of the aftermarket crankcase/fuel products (snake oils) other than diesel fuel additives, to make their highly market competitive products last longer. Just my 55 years of machinery/truck/car/motorcycle/mower buying and maintaining thought...

Any old engine when drained of old heavily used oil will self clean when brand new detergent oil is added. ANY product such as MMO, etc. will reduce the viscosity of ANY oil it's added to. The makers can get away with it because of the small amount recommended per application.

As soon as I see ONE single motor equipment manual state that an engine should be "treated" with an aftermarket product for regular daily use... I'm sorta interested... well, maybe. I'd wager that back in the "Horse and Buggy" era horse owners were pitched "stuff" to put in their horses for "...longer life and better performance and cleaner emmisions!":D

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
I find it very odd that no OEM truck, auto or OPE mfg'er recommends or ever has recommended any of the aftermarket crankcase/fuel products (snake oils) other than diesel fuel additives, to make their highly market competitive products last longer. Just my 55 years of machinery/truck/car/motorcycle/mower buying and maintaining thought...

Any old engine when drained of old heavily used oil will self clean when brand new detergent oil is added. ANY product such as MMO, etc. will reduce the viscosity of ANY oil it's added to. The makers can get away with it because of the small amount recommended per application.

As soon as I see ONE single motor equipment manual state that an engine should be "treated" with an aftermarket product for regular daily use... I'm sorta interested... well, maybe. I'd wager that back in the "Horse and Buggy" era horse owners were pitched "stuff" to put in their horses for "...longer life and better performance and cleaner emmisions!":D
AMEN!!!!!:praying::praying::praying:

Very well put, HH

There has been "UMPTEEN" Threads about this "SNAKE OIL" and I am surprised at the number of members that throw their money away on mostly Isopropyl alcohol, Naptha, and "Pale oil" or "light" oil, of witch you can add to your crankcase, fuel tank or favorite salad if you wanted to at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'd only add Seafoam or MMO if I had an abused engine (i.e. black, gunky oil) and wanted to clean the crankcase faster than fresh oil would. I'd run it for a short time, then drain it. As has been said, any additive will thin the oil, which isn't good for continued use.

FYI, I add Seafoam to just about every tank of fuel though!

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
I'd only add Seafoam or MMO if I had an abused engine (i.e. black, gunky oil) and wanted to clean the crankcase faster than fresh oil would. I'd run it for a short time, then drain it. As has been said, any additive will thin the oil, which isn't good for continued use.

FYI, I add Seafoam to just about every tank of fuel though!
You could do the same thing with an ounce of trans fluid.

·
Super Moderator
32,747 Posts
Guess I go with what works for me! I've used seafoam a couple of times now and getting ready to put some in my Durango. It has eliminated engine noises (probably stiicking lifters), cleaned the bottom end, top end, cleaned the carb, and done pretty much what it was advertised for! I don't consider it a snake oil! I don't run it in my oil unless I'm about to do an oil change as I realize that it will thin out viscosity which may not be good for the engine over the long haul!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Never ever leave seafoam in an engine crankcase or you'll blow it up, IE Original Poster.

A little in the gas is fine, but remember, any of the stuff it knocks loose gets tossed around in your engine until you decide to change it out.

On my Murray I used a little in the gas and a little in the crankcase, mowed the yard once, then changed the spark plugs, changed to 10-W30 Synthetic, then changed to fresh gas.

In my 2002 S10 4.3 V-6 I pulled off the brake booster hose and let it suck down 1/2 quart of tranny fluid, let it sit for 20 minutes, ran it until the smoke stopped, sucked in the second 1/2 quart repeated, then changed the plugs wires, oil, and filled with fresh gas.

Used too when running leaded fuels you could pour a small amount of diesel down the carb and it would cause detonation, knocking the lead out, but remember again, all that crud has to go somewhere, and there's alot of places to get stuck in an engine or exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I ve used Seafoam in both the gas and oil without any problems , I add Stabil to all my gas ( 5 gal Jerry can ) that then get used in all my small engines , so if they are used often or its end of season I ve not had any fuel related problems. Back in the day I did try Slick 50 and it did seem to smooth out the F250 and lawn equipment I had , only tried it once .
I think the most important point is regular oil changes and treated fuel , both will keep your engines working longer .

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
You could do the same thing with an ounce of trans fluid.
yep :thThumbsU, i used sea foam a few times in my camaro, the O.O. used quaker misteak, looked like it had 300k on the engine when i poped the valve covers off (it only had 101k when i got it) ... a few seafoam treatments and some diesel and its good and clean, still to this day, 8 years and 60k later

used the trans fluid on my ranger and have had no issues, used 2 seafoam tratments in the gas and it made a world of diff

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Re. my old standby "Stabil". Lots of manuals will state "stabilized gasoline" as a matter of keeping the equipment running right... I guess I don't qualify it as a "snake oil".

Now my old standby "goop" as a kid with a 51 Studebaker 6, the smoking champeen of N. Westchester County, was "MOTOR HONEY" and 40wt. oil. Kept me mobile-ing until I got my first M/C. Now Motor Honey, there was an additive of merit!:D

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
I used Seafoam In the gas and oil on the tractor, and liked what it did. I put some in the gas tank on the truck and to check engine light came on and will not go out. Auto Zone said the O2 censer does not like it. I do not know how to get the light to go out. And will not use it in the gas anymore on the truck.:banghead3

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
10-4 I will try that. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just started using this stuff in my 445. So far I have 42 hours on this oil change and the oil looks very good. Not brand new but almost. It's very impressive to watch their demonstration live in person.

It seems expensive but if you figure you only add it every 4 oil changes it goes far.

https://www.motorkote.com/

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just have to add my thoughts on the SeaFoam topic. I managed a GM/Nissan parts department for 25 years, GM offered a product and still does named Top Engine Cleaner. Through the 70's & 80" we include this product in major tuneups that we did. The product was used in exactly the same manner as SeaFoam is used for cleaning the upper cylinder of carbon and as a fuel additive with great results. When fuel injection came around GM was a little slow on developing an aerosol version so the popularity of the product died down (flat rate technicians were not thrilled about disconnecting vaccum lines to introduce a cleaner). Not surprising GM offers an aerosol version now and many dealers use it today.

As far as using SeaFoam in the oil, yes when I purchased my 318 last year I first changed the oil and filter, ran the machine for about an hour, drained the oil and replaced the filter added 4oz of seafoam and new oil. I ran the machine for about 1 hour at different rpm settings but never under a load (driving tractor or cutting grass). I then drained this black oil from the engine and refilled with new oil and filter.

This 318 has around 1280 hours and did use a small amount of oil between oil changes and did puff at start up. I did the normal things, head gaskets and valve adjustment but the two things that improved the running of this machine greatly are SeaFoam in the fuel and Engine Restore in the oil. Yes, Engine Retore! I buy the 4 cyl can (11oz) and I use approx 1/3 of the can 3 1/2 oz per oil change. The engine no longer uses oil between oil changes and it no longer puffs smoke at start up. The engine actually sounds better and runs like a charm.

I also use SeaFoam in the fuel of my Toyota 4 cyl 4x4 and my Supercharged Pontiac Bonneville with great results. I think many people would be surprised to see how many Power Equipment dealers use SeaFoam.

Bob421

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all in input everyone. I will continue to use it in the gas like always. The 345 has about 550 total hours and 30 hours on the current oil change. I just checked it and it looks almost like new oil (very light colored) and (no oil consumption). I think for now, I will hold off on putting it in the oil. Maybe try it after I get a few hundred more hours on it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts