My Tractor Forum banner

SEAFOAM carb cleaner?

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  rattosh51 
#1 ·
i here alot about it and i wanna try it but auto zone does not have it sadly any i deas were i can get it ?

#2 ·
The cheapest place I've found it was at Home Depot, but I bought mine a few months ago and since then the price has shot up a good amount, good stuff though. Just about any auto parts store should have it.

#3 ·
NAPA has it. I use it in all my equipment from adding it to gas or siphoning it into the intake manifold and let it set for 5-10 minutes and then cranking back up to burn off carbon. I think you'll like how well it works.

#8 ·
i gotta say guys im sick of normal spray carb cleaner i almost choked today my air filter backfired causeing a small fire on filter itself i got very very dizzy from the fumes lucky i was able to put it out i just let the tractor idle for about 4 min to let the starter fluid burn off gave it 2 small carb cleaner sprays and boom its dangerous seam foam is my last resort to a full blown carb rebuild which i have never done ill look around :Disgus:

#9 ·
I have never heard of Sea Foam. I have a 1971 Sears Custom 8E which used to run awesome up to a few eeks ago. IT is now having a serious carb issue. IT will idle fine but when increasing throttle speed it will flood the card and back fire and blacken a new spark plug in less then 5 minutes. At that time the tractor will no longer idle unless you clean the plug. Will Sea foam MAYBE save me from a carb rebuilt which I have never successful done before? I was planning to do a rebuilt in a little bit and hope for the best but if this will maybe same me from doing this it would be great!

Glenn

#10 ·
Yes--it could...but you may find some gunk down into the spark plug later on..

Another 'glenn'...:sidelaugh

#12 ·
The float on your carb may have "sunk" due to a pinhole,or have dirt keeping the needle valve open some,Franky 14!!..or the main jet may have opened itself up a bit from vibration,the one on the lower left side of the carb with a flat thumbscrew type head on it..I've yet to try Seafoam,but have had good results with Chevron "Techron" gas treatment when shellac or old gummy fuel is the cause of the troubles..

#13 ·
"blacken a new spark plug in less then 5 minutes"
Sounds like it's dumping fuel in there, as Tractor-holic says. Don't think Seafaom can help you out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.