My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant currently get to my email, something about a "cookie" . I will have a pic posted asap. My old 96' model redmax trimmer was running a little rough the past few weeks. Instead of doing the whole carb cleaning saga i decided to try some Sea Foam mixed in with the gas for the past few uses. Im not really sure if this stuff is jet fuel or what but it created one NASTY looking spark plug. It seems to be running better , fixed the sputter that it had during acceleration. Im just wondering has anybody else ever tried this , and did it jack up your spark plug? It didnt foul it out but it looked awful. I put a new plug in it , went from a expensive e3 to a autolite. Starts on 1st pull, no prime needed. :trink39::trink39::trink39:

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
I have been using it for about 3 years and seems to work.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,029 Posts
I use it. If the carb isn't gummed up too badly it will help clean it out.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I use Sea Foam, I think it works great. I always put 1 oz. in a gallon of my 2 cycle mix.

Also, make sure you clean the air filter real good. This spring my leaf blower wasn't up to par. Air filter was filthy, cleaned it real good, works like a charm.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
My 76 year old neighbor puts it in a 4 cycle engine on a wood splitter. That engine HATES it! I think it is a Robin. 7.5HP.

I am the one he calls to help. Drain the gas, put in fresh, change the plug, it runs. I dump the gas out of the jug into his truck, and tell him only to use straight gas in the splitter. To date, I would guess that splitter has less than 20 hours, the air filter is like new. :dunno:

I have done this for three of the last 5 years.

It does not bother his GT or tiller.

He loves the stuff, I would not use it to kill weeds.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've also used SeaFoam before in several engines. It has helped some of mine run smoother. In one particular example my M-series developed a minor surge a couple years ago with no load on the engine. I used it with the surge for probably a month until I ran some Seafoam in the fuel, and the surge was gone before I completed the first usage of the mower after adding the Seafoam. I don't run Seafoam in my fuel all the time, but like APinNY said in his post, I have had good results with it helping with minor carb issues in several engines. I've never had an engine run poorly when using it.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I've noticed the same on engines that have mildly dirty carbs. Running a little seafoam regularly will eventually clean out the carb and continue to keep it clean during normal operation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts