My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
AM132338 from Deere $258.14 online

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-DETENT-KIT-AM132338_p_4670.html

QCC has detent kit, 156B8516, $61.75 net each, 8 week delivery
This is great news... just for clarity, is the QCC P/N you have the kit for the 425/445/455 or the X485 - X749 series? I can't seem to tell from drawing. Have you ordered one to verify?

Great investigation. It appears the springs have a P/N as well. I wonder if they would sell some quantity of those?

·
Registered
973 Posts
This is great news... just for clarity, is the QCC P/N you have the kit for the 425/445/455 or the X485 - X749 series? I can't seem to tell from drawing. Have you ordered one to verify?

Great investigation. It appears the springs have a P/N as well. I wonder if they would sell some quantity of those?
JD Parts search where used for AM132338 4x5, 5x5, x700 up to x749.

Maybe do a group buy, see if they have quantity break.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought I would bring this thread back to the top as I also started having the ‘pop out of float’ symptom. I’ve thoroughly read all the four threads on this, but maybe there is new information to be shared

My tractor is a 2006 X728 (275 hrs,) with the Sauer-Danfoss SCV. I've had it since 2009 (at 160 hrs) and most of my time with it is snowblowing. It started popping out of float as I attempted the first snowblowing of the season. Interestingly though, it worked fine when the tractor warmed up.

Per previous posts I pulled the SVC cap, cleaned the springs, ball bearings, and cap. Greased it all and reassembled. Now the float works fine. But based on some others experiences this may not be a permanent solution. My notes and questions:

• My springs both measured 0.499” long. I guess that’s good as Andreas’ were 0.488.
  • I figured I would pull the shaft to take a look at the wear. How the heck did anyone get this out? My 3/32” hex keys in the end just twisted themselves without the shaft budging. 3/32” is just way too small to have any leverage. My vise grips on the smooth round shaft just spun. It just unscrews out, correct?
  • Assuming I’ll eventually have to get the detent kit I see the JD part number is AM132338 (correct?) at the new ridiculous price of $264. Is the QCC equivalent truly part number 156B8516? If so, how does one order this? It’s not on their web site.
  • I was also thinking that if it’s shaft wear we are dealing with, that adding a washer to the threaded end of the shaft (assuming of course I can ever get it out) would result in a small shaft rotation when tightened and give a new surface for the balls to roll on.
Jon

·
Registered
629 Posts
  • I figured I would pull the shaft to take a look at the wear. How the heck did anyone get this out? My 3/32” hex keys in the end just twisted themselves without the shaft budging. 3/32” is just way too small to have any leverage. My vise grips on the smooth round shaft just spun. It just unscrews out, correct?
Jon
Yep, it "just" unscrews as I redid mine this summer. The directions say to use blue loctite on it so I think if you used just a small amount of heat on it, maybe it will unthread easier. I guess I would try to hold a soldering iron it just to localize heat and not ruin seals etc.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I need to take mine apart to clean and inspect as mine is popping out a lot lately. Mine does start to hold better as the tractor warms up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep, it "just" unscrews as I redid mine this summer. The directions say to use blue loctite on it so I think if you used just a small amount of heat on it, maybe it will unthread easier. I guess I would try to hold a soldering iron it just to localize heat and not ruin seals etc.
Were you able to get the shaft out using just the small allen key, or did you grab the shaft directly? What kit did you use? I'd like to be able to verify the QCC kit is the same as the JD one.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Jon, sent you a PM

·
Registered
629 Posts
I also forgot to mention that if I remember, you should grab the other end of the spool where the lever connects when you unscrew the spool.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Took mine apart last night. Not much old grease. My gasket tore. I cleaned and put mine back together dry (no grease) as there was close to nothing in there to begin with. My springs measured under .48" so I need to source some washers to tighten it up. Used it this morning and never popped out of float just after being cleaned.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Took mine apart last night. Not much old grease. My gasket tore. I cleaned and put mine back together dry (no grease) as there was close to nothing in there to begin with. My springs measured under .48" so I need to source some washers to tighten it up. Used it this morning and never popped out of float just after being cleaned.
Just an update on this. Do not install without grease like I did. It worked without grease for a few snow removal jobs but then started to get really sticky. I had to self center the valve and the float was very hard to engage. So I removed the cap and greased things up and all is well again.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I am new to this thread and appreciate all the great info. So I have a X748 that also has a float issue. When I went to John Deere parts I did not see the same configuration as this model should have. Then I looked at the 455 which is exactly what I need. It is detention kit AM128927 which is currently $171 US. Is there no way I can buy just that spool piece that looks like it should be worth $20. Mine was pretty rusty and reason it is in pretty bad shape. I tried the QCC link but got me nowhere. Thanks for all the helpful posts.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I am new to this thread and appreciate all the great info. So I have a X748 that also has a float issue. When I went to John Deere parts I did not see the same configuration as this model should have. Then I looked at the 455 which is exactly what I need. It is detention kit AM128927 which is currently $171 US. Is there no way I can buy just that spool piece that looks like it should be worth $20. Mine was pretty rusty and reason it is in pretty bad shape. I tried the QCC link but got me nowhere. Thanks for all the helpful posts. View attachment 2443909
That is pretty rusty. This is really hard steel. You should be able to clean it up with a wire wheel either on a bench grinder or put the part in a vise and use one on a grinder or a drill. Grease up and re-install.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
That is pretty rusty. This is really hard steel. You should be able to clean it up with a wire wheel either on a bench grinder or put the part in a vise and use one on a grinder or a drill. Grease up and re-install.
What you don’t see is the 2 grooves on each side which basically condemns it’s use. Wondering how hard it really is looking at these grooves. Thanks

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I kind of see the grooves. The OP had grooves as well. Mine did not have the grooves. Can you still clean it up and place a washer on the stud to move the distance a small bit shifting the position where the balls slide on the part. Clocking it into a different angle? 90 degrees would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I kind of see the grooves. The OP had grooves as well. Mine did not have the grooves. Can you still clean it up and place a washer on the stud to move the distance a small bit shifting the position where the balls slide on the part. Clocking it into a different angle? 90 degrees would be perfect.
Great idea but I removed 1 washer and it didn’t move the location much If any once tighten Not enough thread to increase number of washers to 3. I found a website called ZEHNXSHOP.COM which list it for half price of John Deere. Ordered it but had second thoughts but have been unable to cancel order. Probably China. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Steuny, Don't put down China...yet!...until you get your part(s). The quality of the part is the responsibility of the buyer, not the manufacturer. The manufacturer makes and ships a part. It's now up to the buyer to inspect this part and accept or reject it.
I actually dislike posting this, but I will. In the late 90's, the Company I worked for started outsourcing manufacturing to off shore companies. We had problems for about 6 months to a year due to "them" not understanding our drawings and language. Once this was straightened out parts were perfect...and at 1/3 of the cost and zero risk! If a part was out of tolerance, a call was made to the vendor and the normal reply was, 'OK. I air fright tomorrow.' We inspected 100% for a few years, but now it's about 1% from certain vendors...based on past performance. If we didn't we'd have junk parts not to spec. Many off shore vendors truly put American manufacturing to shame and some ship in plain garbage! The buyer has to call the shots! Bob

41 - 56 of 56 Posts