My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The float position has always worked as intended since I purchased my x595 in 2012. The other day I spent a few hours using the loader and found that it rarely stayed in the float position. So I will remove the cap on that spool and clean & lube.

Should I remove the cap as one assembly or unthread the two screws that hold the springs first?

Andreas

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,715 Posts
If your SCV is the same as mine, the ball bearings and springs will fall out if you take the assembly off without removing the two screws first. With a clean garage floor that shouldn't be an issue, but I think on re-assembly, you will probably need to pull the spring screws, then attach the cap, then install ball bearings, springs, and spring screws as they rest against the plunging valve rod.

And,

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your SCV is the same as mine, the ball bearings and springs will fall out if you take the assembly off without removing the two screws first. With a clean garage floor that shouldn't be an issue, but I think on re-assembly, you will probably need to pull the spring screws, then attach the cap, then install ball bearings, springs, and spring screws as they rest against the plunging valve rod.
Jere,
Excellent, thank you! Is it as simple as a proper cleaning and grease?

Andreas

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,715 Posts
That has worked for me. The small springs that hold the valve in float mode could easily be impinged by hardened grease and not properly pushing their ball bearings against the plunge rod and holding it forward of the compression washer. OTOH, I suppose they just could be no longer strong enough, and might need to be replaced. But, first step, clean old grease, replace with fresh. I'd bet on that being a resolution.

·
21,729 Posts
The problem could also be corrosion or wear. Water vapour has a tendency to collect in that area and can rust the springs and ball to the point of failure. Also is the possibility that the ball has worn down the edges of the groove of the indent in the spool through use of the float position.

In any event, removal, disassembly, cleaning, and inspection are required whatever the root problem happens to be.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I did the deed today. Removed the spring screws & springs and pulled the cap. Things were dry and gummed up within. The ball bearings were stuck in their respective bores...

I degreased & scrubbed the spool spring and shaft, and then thoroughly cleaned the cap, spring screws, springs and balls (a 3/16" drill bit, spun with fingers, was perfect to clean out the spring screw cups). Then I bead blasted the cap, washed it, etch primed it and painted it.

Reassembled using some waterproof cycle grease and it works as new. :fing32:

Andreas

·
21,729 Posts
Well done!! :thThumbsU

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,715 Posts
Great work, you've set a high standard. My pictures have suddenly become inadequate.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, even after this top-shelf float/detent rebuild, I found that the lever would still pop out of position once every few times. I figured that the 13-year old springs were slightly fatigued, so I removed one of the spring caps and ran to the local Ace. There I was able to fine very small washers that fit perfectly into the bore of the spring cap (I don't remember what size they were labeled as but can get that info). I placed two washers in each spring cap and used the butt of a 3/16" drill bit to ensure they were fully seated.

Then I reinstalled the caps and shoved the lever forward. Success! The lever goes into float with authority now and stays there. I'm thrilled with my small stroke of genius. :)

Andreas

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well done!! :thThumbsU
Times two!

Well, even after this top-shelf float/detent rebuild, I found that the lever would still pop out of position once every few times. I figured that the 13-year old springs were slightly fatigued, so I removed one of the spring caps and ran to the local Ace. There I was able to fine very small washers that fit perfectly into the bore of the spring cap (I don't remember what size they were labeled as but can get that info). I placed two washers in each spring cap and used the butt of a 3/16" drill bit to ensure they were fully seated.

Then I reinstalled the caps and shoved the lever forward. Success! The lever goes into float with authority now and stays there. I'm thrilled with my small stroke of genius. :)

Andreas
Good idea. I think I would replace the springs when you have time to do so. Unless you are unable to buy just the springs. :tango_face_sad:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good idea. I think I would replace the springs when you have time to do so. Unless you are unable to buy just the springs. :tango_face_sad:
I searched and was not able to find a source for M87319.

My neighbor & I cleaned and greased the float mechanism on his '05 x595. It worked better than before but still popped out every few times. So we shimmed his spring screws the same way and his float detent once again works correctly. :)

Andreas

·
Registered
590 Posts
Couldn't you just have slightly stretched the spring? Or better yet find an exact spring on McMaster Carr.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Couldn't you just have slightly stretched the spring? Or better yet find an exact spring on McMaster Carr.
I could have, but the springs are very tight and very small. I felt shimming would give better control of the outcome.

Andreas

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,715 Posts
Andreas,
Hope you have a warm place to do this work. It's a shame the float valve is primarily a winter use, and therefore gets notice, and repair actions in cold garages.

Good luck, be nice if we had a nice warm sunny day for your work before the next snow. FWIW, and I know that wouldn't likely be all that much, mine has stayed rock solid since the time I worked it last a couple years ago. (Knock on wood). I'm running double duty this winter switching back and forth between blade and grapple

Jere

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Andreas,
Hope you have a warm place to do this work. It's a shame the float valve is primarily a winter use, and therefore gets notice, and repair actions in cold garages.

Good luck, be nice if we had a nice warm sunny day for your work before the next snow. FWIW, and I know that wouldn't likely be all that much, mine has stayed rock solid since the time I worked it last a couple years ago. (Knock on wood). I'm running double duty this winter switching back and forth between blade and grapple

Jere

Jere,
Yes, clean warm garage. :)

I'll take it apart again, clean & grease, and add another washer or two before I drop $100+ on the 'detent kit'...

Andreas

·
Registered
638 Posts
Andreas, I reviewed your "washer" repair with interest as I cleaned and lubed my SCV, looked at replacing balls (they were fine) and it is still not holding in consistently. I didn't get the washer fix done before fall so will look at in the spring. Like you, I'm unwilling to spend $80 for the kit when I think all I really need are the two new uncompressed springs. Do you have the capability to get good spring measurements so we can do some research on just replacing those. Certainly, wire size, number of coils, and uncompressed length.. not sure how we could measure spring force constant. I think they have what are termed "ground" ends.

Just thinking it would be good to post this info while you have apart. Thanks

·
Registered
638 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts