My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
based on these dimensions , I'm thinking CUT but I'm curious what others might say. its kinda in between IMO. reference person is a 6' tall man.

·
21,425 Posts
Most current model SCUTs have GT sized tires (26x12-12 rear tires). The illustration indicates a CUT.

That being said, there are some older model CUTS with tires that are more suited to GTs and SCUTs with tires more suited to the current versions of CUTs.

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
You're buying a tractor based on a reference person? Why?

Select one based on what you need it to do, then find one of that size that you feel comfortable sitting on.

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
Not really sure what your question is. You select a machine based on the tasks anticipated. Are you asking about that?

If you're asking about operator space or comfort, that is usually adjustable to some extent by the seat. Some have even moved the seat mounting holes a bit.

The only place I really have trouble on mine is the throttle lever. I keep banging my knee on it, but I keep the seat forward due to the BackHoe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, it's a tractor I already have, a pretty old one in fact. Just trying to get a feel for which class of implements I could adapt for it. Seems like the SCUT implements are a little anemic but the full size ones dwarf the machine. Right now the goal is to find a loader. Think I'm getting better at identifying what might work.

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
Thanks guys, it's a tractor I already have, a pretty old one in fact. Just trying to get a feel for which class of implements I could adapt for it. Seems like the SCUT implements are a little anemic but the full size ones dwarf the machine. Right now the goal is to find a loader. Think I'm getting better at identifying what might work.

First step to that would be telling us what the machine is, brand, model, etc. Pictures always help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I could have led with that lol, kinda wanted to make sure I was in the right place before getting too deep into it. It is a 40-something Massey-Harris Pony.

Pic is not of mine and Sorry it's kinda blurry but it was the first one I could find with a person on it to give it some scale. At first I was planning to put a small loader on it but I'm getting gentile nudges not to do that. Seems the frame is not really made for it. Guess I am struggling to find a use for it besides mowing (fitted a woods L59 to it about a year ago) don't think I'm going to have much use for a row cultivator. The utility tractors would be much more useful to me. It's a family heirloom, was hoping to repurpose it and get some use out of it besides just putting around...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. It's small for a Compact machine in some regards but it doesn't really fit the mold. The John Deere 3032E seems like a modern machine that most closely resembles the overall size of this guy. At least from what I've seen...

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
There were no such categories as CUT or SCUT back when that tractor was designed and made. Back then it woukld have just been called a "small tractor" and it looks comparable to a Farmall cub or Cub Cadet Low Boy in terms of size and capabilities. Back then the lift systems hadn't even been standardized, as some tractors had a "2 point lift" while others had a 3 point lift, and others had lifts unique to the particular brand and/or model. Tractordata says that the PTO and hydraulics were both options.

So does it have the optional PTO and/or a 3 point lift? Does it have any hydraulic system at all? The answers to those questions would help us answer what its capabilities are and what types of implements might be appropriate for it. If it is original without a PTO or 3 point lift then it is only good for pulling tow behind types of implements unless you add a PTO and/or a 3 point lift, or at least a hydraulic pump and reservoir for impelements that have their own hydraulic cylinders.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All true. My specific machine does have hydraulic lift but it is not high enough capacity for running anything like a loader IMO. Most I have seen have a separate PTO driven pump mounted out back the engine driven pump is fine for running the rock shaft (mostly for belly accessories like tines or in my case the mower deck). I have seen where people have added Lift arms and a center Mount where the arms are lifted by the hydraulics but the best estimate I have gotten on its lift capacity is about 700lbs. I'm sure it's be less depending on the geometry of the setup adding the lift arms...not sure if cat 0 specs would apply but that's probably what parts you'd have to use. I have seen where someone on this forum has done it I'm just not ready for that adventure just yet. But it does have a 6 spline albeit the less common and smaller 1 1/8" version, and a side belt pulley driven off the same PTO at a higher speed (about 1900 RPM, which I used for the mower deck).

·
Man w/skills
994 Posts
Take it from someone who had a loader on a tiny tractor (18hp) with no power steering: just don't do it. You'll struggle to steer without anything in the bucket. For the bucket with some dirt and steering becomes nearly impossible.
Spindles and other components will wear much faster as well.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks skills,
I talked to a man who was well versed on the older machines who brought me up to speed on the progression of design regarding my specific model. Short version of the story is the loaders made for it broke the frame. They only offered them for one year and quit. Apparently they would break straight away too. One person reported it broke the first time they used it then it was removed/repaired and never used again. sat around the farm until somebody came along and bought it to put on a show tractor and not actually use it for work. That being said the spot he said they broke in looks like it could be reinforced but then where's the next weakest link. I decided after this conversation that I didn't want to be the one to find out. I've got a belly mower running and it works just fine for that so I have moved on. Also have a larger Ferguson TO30 and a loader with a small tip bucket off of a Ford 9N that should fit. Figure I'll get that going and use it for a while while I save up for a small purpose built backhoe. Thanks a lot for all the advice I've gotten so far from everyone
-Josh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts