My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new Kubota BX2380. I am totally new to tractors in general and have no real experience towing/hauling things with chain. Sorry if I use the wrong terms and thanks in advance for the help!

Yesterday I was dragging a large section of a fallen tree and the end of it would periodically cut into the lawn and tear it up as I moved it across our property. I had an anchor shackle in the small hitch hole (?, the 1/2" hole on the frame of the tractor, that I would pin a dump cart to), and my chain fed through that shackle. So the chain was very low to the ground, hence the end of the log catching the lawn as I dragged.

I'm pretty sure I could use the 3 pt hitch somehow to raise up the chain (and one end of the log) so I'm dragging it across the lawn more than through it. But I wasn't sure what part of the hitch to connect my shackle/chain to for best results. The center upper arm (top link?) doesn't move with the hydraulics, and the lower lift arms don't get that high even when the hydraulics are as high as they'll go.

Can I disconnect the side links from the lower lift arms, and connect shackles/chain directly to the upper lift arms? I was nervous that would essentially bypass the swaybars and I'd risk damaging the upper lift arms if I snagged what I was towing and jerked the tractor. I could put two shackles on, one on each arm, that might mitigate that risk.

Thanks all! - Bob

·
5,812 Posts
Kind of hard to picture what you are describing...but I think that your best bet is that you just go to an open area and play with it and see what reacts and how when you are using different controls ...you don't want to bend the arms on the 3 Point...you just got it...it is going to last a long time...take your time with it and just take it slowly.....too many things get messed up when people get in a hurry or impatient with new equipment

·
Super Moderator
30,876 Posts
See if you can chain it up or cradle the trunk in the 3 point arms and lift it then pull it, or make a skid to set the trunk on and tie it down and then pull the skid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I like that. I'll have to try that on the next log. And to Mark's point, go slow and experiment.

·
22,004 Posts
You have a loader. Slip the bucket under the end of the tree and chain the bucket to the log and pull it across the yard.

Optionally if the log isn't too heavy, chain it to the bucket and carry it.

You should get 3 lugs or hooks welded to the top of your bucket, one in line with each arm and the third in the center. Unlike many, I don't recommend the bolt on half hooks . There are times when it is handy to have the eye of the hook to use with a chain shackle to run the chain down the back side of the bucket for extra lift capacity.

It's a good idea to keep lugs or hooks well back from the front edge of the top of the bucket so that you don't poke holes in the garage door when dragging snow away from it with the cutting edge.

·
Administrator- We’re all friends here
14,468 Posts
Good point about the hooks. I use these:

They’re expensive, but well-made, and attach and unattach in about 5 seconds.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,606 Posts
With the loader, don’t lift higher than needed. Also important, try to move as straight as humanly possible. Turning while dragging with the loader puts an incredible amount of stress on the loader’s frame in a direction it isn’t designed to take a lot of stress. It also destabilizes the tractor. If you start to tip over with tension on the chain, you’re much less likely to recover - you’re probably going over.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,314 Posts
When I drag a tree with my garden tractors I hook the chain up in a manner that puts the hook and chain under the tree,so when it gets pulled taut,it picks up the end of the tree and prevents it from dragging and digging into the ground..
I've also used an old "scoop" shovel (with no handle) shoved under the log to act as a sled too,and use the chain to hold it in place..

A log arch is handy,but rather expensive,and not everyone can make one themselves..but I wish I had one more than once,I do not drag trees around often enough to justify making one though really..

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've also used an old "scoop" shovel (with no handle) shoved under the log to act as a sled too,and use the chain to hold it in place..

My Pop and I would do this long ago when I was a kid 'round the farm.
Simple and effective with lighter logs (y)

Renster

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
connecting the chain directly to the lift arms up top is not a good idea. Those things are not designed for lateral loads at all... only up/down. So when you go to turn a bit, or the log rolls off to a side, the lateral load can cause trouble.
I would either use the FEL as mentioned already ( you can get the end of the trunk into the fel bucket, and lift it up 3-4", so it will not dig in..... or keep the 3ph fully assembled, and use a draw-bar. if your dragging chain / strap is not too long... ie the log is 2-3 feet behind your hitch, lifting the hitch full up will take the weight off the end of the log to prevent it from digging in....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
One safety note on chain attachment points - the higher you hook that chain, the higher the risk you have of the tractor coming over on top of you if the front end gets light. Not saying I haven't done it, but definitely not a spot where you want to do a lot of jerking on something that is pushing the tractor's limits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts