My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scout was born on Halloween 2008. He and I celebrated his 11th birthday with a hike in the woods (which we do every day, but I made it seem extra special this time).

This was a couple days ago, we had a significant wind and rain event two nights ago, followed by our first freeze last night - the woods are thinning in front of our eyes. And, it seems the bulk of the leaves are falling/blowing into our lawn.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You should have given him one of those health food bars as a treat. They taste like dog food anyway, so they have to be good for him. Happy Birthday Scout

·
16,327 Posts
Hello Jere-and thanks for taking care of Scout ---he does enjoy it--and I know you do also.

glenn

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Wow Jere, you are making us feel old(er). Watching Scout become a senior dog has been an enjoyable journey but the grey whiskers makes one sad, but hey we are getting greyer too.

Yatt the main dog passed in Jan., and has been replaced with a reincarnate Beau who has all of his bad attributes but is a good boy.:tango_face_smile_bi

Through in a cameo of Kade too.:tango_face_smile:

Attachments

·
3,437 Posts
There is nothing like a dog with a big smile...that last picture of the little reddish brown guy...he (she?) is beautiful...they all are...but that one really catches your eye....here is my Harley ...with a smile

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys who might wander over to this thread for a Scout Update. Scout and I live in PA where the Governor has declared a state-wide lockdown. Exercise is still legal, though many municipal parks and trails are closed. And, in all things we are guided to stay socially distant. No problem for Scout and I. We hike 5+ miles a day (for over 11 years now, tracked by GPS). We hike out our back door and never encounter another human. To be honest, our life is barely changed by the various Social Distancing guidelines. We spend our days in the woods anyway, and frankly, ticks are probably a greater concern. But, this morning was a glorious Spring morning for yet another hike:

How are you folks and your dogs getting your exercise? Stay safe, stay healthy, be secure!

·
3,437 Posts
Harley is still taking me a few blocks away to a park where he likes to make use of the facilities...and before you ask...neither my wife nor I leave the house without at least a couple of plastic bags for cleaning up......have a bunch in the truck too for emergencies on road trips......it is surprising how many people walk their dogs and then act like they can't believe it when the dog does what he is out to do...and they are unprepared....they all wish I would mind my own business when I take out a spare bag and hand it to them....
Scout sure looks happy

·
Registered
315 Posts
20191013_170250.jpg

We live in a rural area of New Hampshire. I maintain a nice trail on our property that leads to/connects with an old horse drawn woods road with smaterings of snowmobile trails many years since abandoned and overgrown. This hill is mostly hardwoods and dotted with farm fields mowed for hay. I hunt right out here and regularly walk about. Did just yesterday. Although the wife and I love dogs, we don't have any. We've got 2 grey/brown tigers. Gracie our 7 year old female is more of a home-body. She'll go out but stays relatively close to the house. Ollie, our 6 year old male on the other hand is our adventurous hunter. Although he's a love-bug in the house, outside he will (and has) tangle with just about anything his size or smaller. Our large eastern gray squirrells are no match for him. Oddly, he's quite friendly with the local wild turkeys, and mingles with them every chance he gets. Also oddly - they don't seem to mind at all.
Our Gov has issued "stay at home" directives, and set directives as to what types of "essential" businesses may stay open, and how many people can gather. Restaurants are take out only, etc. He is however very reluctant to "lock the state down" per se. Heck, gun stores are considered to be essential to ensure the continued right to protect and defend, and therefor will stay open - Right from the Gov's mouth! We are after all, the Live Free or Die State.
We're all utilizing yankee common sense and trying to follow directives as best we can up here, and still the virus is spreading in the state. I don't believe anyone believed that it wouldn't.

As for me and Ollie - we'll be walkin' the woods. 🌳

Renster

1 - 11 of 11 Posts