My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
mowing the grass yesterday and the wiring connection on the carb shut-off solinoid melted right off. Left me stranded in the middle of 1.25 acre.

Im thinking of dissasembling the solinoid and putting an in-line shut off valve on the fuel hose.

Any thoughts on dissasebling /bypassing the solinoid? Any hints on how to do it?

any help is greatly appreciated! thx!!!

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
You can just cut the tip off with a pair of sidecuts. Just be sure to idle down before shutting off or you might get a nice backfire ;)

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Hi all,
mowing the grass yesterday and the wiring connection on the carb shut-off solinoid melted right off. Left me stranded in the middle of 1.25 acre.

Im thinking of dissasembling the solinoid and putting an in-line shut off valve on the fuel hose.

Any thoughts on dissasebling /bypassing the solinoid? Any hints on how to do it?

any help is greatly appreciated! thx!!!
bypassing factory equipment should only be a last resort... the solenoid is to prevent backfiring when shutting off the machine.

a manual shut off does not work like the solenoid does, the solenoid is almost immediate a fuel line shut off is not. To use the shut-off method yo woudl need to stop the motor everytime by turning off the fuel and waiting for the motor to die...

why not just fix the melted connection or replace? the solenoids are not that expensive.

Just curious, how did it melt? I am assuming to close to something hot and not an electrical short???

And lastly, to bypass you just remove the solenoid and replace it with the standard float bowl bolt- and I suppose to save the 2$ for the float bowl bolt you could remove the solenoid and cut off the plunger inside (with the rubber tip), and reinstalling, a kludge yes, but it will work- :trink40:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts