My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cha-ching...

Driving back from lunch out with the wife, saw this 10 CF steel Craftsman cart at the curb out of the corner of my eye. Wasn't far from home so I made a mental note and continued on.

Dropped off the wife, hopped in our Vibe and went back and picked it up (free). It fit in the back like the Vibe was designed for trashpicking Craftsman garden carts.

The PO was even nice enough to help me load it. He said there was nothing wrong with it (close enough) and that he got a new one, so kicked this one to the curb.

Had one flat (just needed air - fine now) and missing rear panel, small bracket and some bolts. I can live with that. I'll fix it up this winter; maybe strip, clean, and repaint also.

Wheel hubs even have grease zerks! Looks like they were added by the buyer.

It's not a dumper, but hey, trashpickers can't be choosers.

Anyone have this cart and can tell me whether the missing panel was fixed or movable? A picture would be great, would help me fab something up.

·
5000 posts and climbing
5,454 Posts
Like I've said before,you can't "beat" free.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Dang, if only I could be so lucky! Nice find, Paul.

·
16,525 Posts
Good find!! FREE is always good!!

Even thou it doesn't have the dump feature--it's very similar to my old one...

Look at the very back end of it--on one side yiou have a u-shaped bracket still bolted ther--makeing a 'groove"...I believe you had a tailgate that just slips down in that groove like mine--just lift it out when not needed...

I also put heavier wheels/tires off one of my son's old jet ski trailers on mine--and beefed up the tongue a little...

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
The tail gate was just a piece of same thickness metal that slid between the small groves on the sides.The top has a fold-over bend in it for strenght.I have one,just no pics.of it on file.Mine dumps also.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:congrats: and I would paint it to match your tractor and get some proper decals for it and you'll have a new one. slkpk

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Paul , nice Cart and such a great price !!!

Later,x595

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
nice find toolin! just a thought, if you're gonna have it apart to clean and paint, it might not be too hard to convert it to a dump trailer while you're at it. i'm sure you could come up with a relatively simple way to do it. looking forward to the finished project!:fing32:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
free is always good :)

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Nice find!
I got one. Hauls a pretty good load. The tires were replaced by the PO with 4 ply, so now with no air, it still carreis a pretty good load.
Replace the tailgate with a piece of plywood. It works. Not hinged, slides into the runners.
Easy to make a dump cart out if it. Check the Sears website for their dumping cart, then look at the instruction book. Only need 3 brackets that can be made in the garage. Uses the same axle, wheels, body, and pull beam.
Watch out for the carts' floor rusting out. Mine now has a metal patch pop riveted in. Good for another 20 years.
May want to fabricate a larger 'L' shaped bracket for just inside the rear tailgate wall, both sides. They tend to splay outwards, then the tailgate falls out.
Parts are still available at www.sears.com

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replace the tailgate with a piece of plywood. It works. Not hinged, slides into the runners.
Easy to make a dump cart out if it. Check the Sears website for their dumping cart, then look at the instruction book. Only need 3 brackets that can be made in the garage. Uses the same axle, wheels, body, and pull beam.
[...]
Thanks. Yeah, the plywood idea occurred to me. Problem is the runner brackets are missing so I'd have to fab those up too. Oh well, something to do. Good idea on getting dump designs from the instruction book.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Nice find and free too. :thThumbsU
And it sure was nice of the PO to add those zerks for ya.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
173 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts