My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Again, thank you guys. I'm thrilled to have found this one.

First off, I need to clean the carburetor and clean the glass sediment bowl. I haven't looked into the fuel tank yet. I'm afraid of what I'll find in there. Of course an oil and filter change is coming too.

The paint on this one is beyond saving. It has been sitting for some time under a rubber bed mat out behind the PO's garage. He at least coated each rust spot with a rust converter product to stem the rust. Right now, my plans are to redo this one in the future and put a yellow back on it that is as close to this one as I can get. I also want to get the USPS labels recreated for the controls.

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
Cool find DJ! :fing32:

·
Registered
642 Posts
To one of your original questions about the pull rope; Don't use a rope of any kind. I learned this the hard way. The replacement straps work ok, but the best strap I have found is a homemade one made out of conveyor belting.

The rope stretches too much. You will find the tractor very hard to start using a rope. As the compression stroke starts the rope stretches and the velocity of your pull drops dramatically, making it hard to start. We all know you have to pull a old gravely with authority to start it, and a good solid pull strap that doesn't stretch will snap the engine around and most of the time start it on the first pull. And I have never found I needed the eyelet hole in the end of the strap.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
To one of your original questions about the pull rope; Don't use a rope of any kind. I learned this the hard way. The replacement straps work ok, but the best strap I have found is a homemade one made out of conveyor belting.

The rope stretches too much. You will find the tractor very hard to start using a rope. As the compression stroke starts the rope stretches and the velocity of your pull drops dramatically, making it hard to start. We all know you have to pull a old gravely with authority to start it, and a good solid pull strap that doesn't stretch will snap the engine around and most of the time start it on the first pull. And I have never found I needed the eyelet hole in the end of the strap.

If you look carefully you'll notice that the pulley from which one would wind the starting strap around is much different than most. DJ will either have to change that pulley to the more standard type or use a rope. Though I've never seen a starting pulley like that up close I've read about them, it was probably one of Gravely's trail parts, even the more common pulleys did not all have the notch for a rope start, that was a later addition.

Sent from the MTF Free App using a device with auto correct

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
If you look carefully you'll notice that the pulley from which one would wind the starting strap around is much different than most.
As my daughter would say, you guys have "TMI" !

WOW, now I went back and looked at that pic, that along with the stretchy rope info, and my shoulder is hurting, just thinking about starting the Postal with the stretch in some nylon rope. :hide:

DJ, if I were going to pull start that machine, I would be using about 6-8 feet of the starter rope they sell at the convenience store near your house, :fing32:

DJ has a convenience store that makes hydraulic hoses, my convenience store only makes hot dogs!! :crybaby:

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
As my daughter would say, you guys have "TMI" !

WOW, now I went back and looked at that pic, that along with the stretchy rope info, and my shoulder is hurting, just thinking about starting the Postal with the stretch in some nylon rope. :hide:

DJ, if I were going to pull start that machine, I would be using about 6-8 feet of the starter rope they sell at the convenience store near your house, :fing32:

DJ has a convenience store that makes hydraulic hoses, my convenience store only makes hot dogs!! :crybaby:

Pull starting an L isn't quite the arduous task most think it is, just a but awkward is all. well....so long as the engine is in good tune and it's Not real cold out they fire off real easy. Remember we are looking at what 70-80max psi of compression, that's half of what most car engines have at 8,8.5:1 compression ratio.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Don't use nylon rope. Go to your local Chandlers shop and pick up some of the braided line they use for sailboat halyards. The line for all intents and purposes doesn't stretch and will last a long time. A few feet should be less than $15. Also comes in pretty colours. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
116 Posts
My chain broke on my electric start C model, I just used a nylon ratchet strap wrapped around the flywheel to start it. Didn't seem to difficult. Usually starts on the first or second pull. It does seem to have decent compression.

·
Registered
642 Posts
My chain broke on my electric start C model, I just used a nylon ratchet strap wrapped around the flywheel to start it. Didn't seem to difficult. Usually starts on the first or second pull. It does seem to have decent compression.
That sounds like a good idea. Find a decent one that is strong.

I could not see the pictures of his tractor at first because I wasn't approved to be a member yet, but I just went back and looked at them and that is a weird pulley. Certainly he should be able to find the regular pulley somewhere?

A stiff strap makes a huge difference in starting one of these tractors. Mine will even start in the single digits IF I give it a little shot of ether. If I don't do that, it will want to start, but the oil is so thick it doesn't have enough momentum to carry to through and start running by itself.

I am glad I stumble upon this forum. It seems very active. I am tired of trying to navigate through the non-user friendly yahoo club stuff.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Those pulleys might have been an aftermarket offering, if my memory is correct - "Spiral-something?"

Anybody able to help me out? I almost feel like I've seen a photo of a flyer online somewhere.

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Wow! Thanks for the renewed discussion guys.

I'll find some rope to use on this thing. I hope to get the carburetor cleaned soon and get it running. I'm really anxious to play around with this thing a bit. I'm really thinking of a good sturdy jute rope.

John, would you believe that my, and yours I think, favorite store closed up this week? I am devastated! I think they're just doing a thorough cleaning/remodel and will reopen. I hope so anyway!

I had to look up Chandlers. Around here, if you say you have a sail boat the response is asking you how much you want for it. If it doesn't have the word bass written on the side of it, it's not considered a boat around here.

Franklin, welcome the forum. We're very active here and always have something to talk about. What part of Virginia are you from, generally? :Welcome1:

I remember a discussion on those pulleys in the not so distant past John, but I don't remember anything about it. I'll do some searching in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I am glad I stumble upon this forum. It seems very active. I am tired of trying to navigate through the non-user friendly yahoo club stuff.
AMEN !! I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again YAHOO SUCKS! And I have not tried again to "log in" since the last time I spent a entire evening screwing with it, and I don't think I'll ever try again! Jason

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,976 Posts
AMEN !! I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again YAHOO SUCKS! And I have not tried again to "log in" since the last time I spent a entire evening screwing with it, and I don't think I'll ever try again! Jason
I send that. I joined and have yet to figure out how it works. Given the vibrancy of this site and, more particularly, this group of people, why even bother.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I live in the valley near Staunton.

I have a 1962 model L that I have had and used for the past 20 years. Years ago I bought one of those "kits" that a guy was selling on ebay and converted it to a Li.

These old L's will work you a little bit, but every attachment you hook up puts a grin on your face. I can't believe how far the snowblower throws snow, how well the 40 inch mower cuts, how tough the 30 inch bush hog is, and what a nice job the rotary plow does for a garden.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
How about something like this DJ? krislu had posted this pic back in 2006. You could fire up your postal Dale Walksler style.:D

Wow...I've seen that befor, many years ago, seems like good way to go.

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
Wow...I've seen that befor, many years ago, seems like good way to go.

It's pretty unique, that's for sure. It would be neat to have on a tractor, just for the fun of it, as long as everything was dialed in on the engine.

It would probably be like kicking over an old knucklehead. I don't think you would get as many revolutions out of the engine per kick as you would by pulling through a starting strap.

I don't know if this was a Gravely option at some point in time, or aftermarket.
I've never come across any myself.

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have to agree with the sentiments toward Yahoo. I've never liked the idea of an email based discussion group. Ideas and conversations get far too easily crossed and feelings end up getting hurt in the process. With a forum format, one thread, one idea, one conversation. Things are much easier to follow.

That's a beautiful piece of country you're in Franklin. I made it into the actual town of Staunton last fall on a Gravely retrieval and really liked it. It's a town that the wife and I plan to get back to see more of soon, hopefully. I'm a couple of hours west of you, between Lewisburg and Beckley, WV.

That kick starter is a really interesting idea. It reminds me of the old Maytag washer starters. I'd bet it would work well though. On a well tuned engine, turn the stroke over to the compression stroke, and give it a swift kick. The engine should catch pretty quickly and purr right along. Watch out for a backfire though. :hide:

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
That kick starter is a really interesting idea. It reminds me of the old Maytag washer starters. I'd bet it would work well though. On a well tuned engine, turn the stroke over to the compression stroke, and give it a swift kick. The engine should catch pretty quickly and purr right along. Watch out for a backfire though. :hide:[/quote]

Yes, I'd imagine that the engine tuning and mag timing would have to be right on in order for it to fire after a few kicks. Otherwise it would become an exercise machine.

I've pretty much given up on the yahoo site too. It's a shame because there are great people there. I just haven't had any luck in doing anything other than scrolling through the existing posts. I still do that though. Maybe I'll give another shot at some point.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
DJ,
It may cost more than what you paid for the machine but I think B&S used a kick starter for a bit many moons ago. If you get lucky and find one it might be an easy adapt.
Just thinking out loud here.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts