My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got word some time back about a Gravely sitting in neglect that I need to check out. I was helping a friend today very near to where this tractor was located so I went to check it out. It turned out to be a Postal LI. It's complete minus the Postal Service ID tag on the fan shroud. I can't find any evidence of the rivets that would have held it on. There is some kind of paint/rust converter stuff sealing up rust in the area and shape of where the tag would have been.

It has compression and rolls well. The tires have a lot of dry rot but they hold air. It even has a set of tire chains on it. The serial number puts it being a 1961. I'm not sure about the red tank and I've never had one with the depression in it before. I don't think the rope pulley is original either.

I'll clean the carburetor and points, change the oil, and give the engine a good once over before trying to get it running. I really don't think it'll take much to get it going.

Does anyone know right off what size rope I need to make a starter rope? Also, does anyone know if the control lever and such decals are being reproduced?

Alright, I've held out long enough. :wwp:

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4286.JPG

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These Postal machines don't show up often. Several have shown up recently though.

Anyhow, if decals are available, I'd love to give it a fresh paint job. Maybe even use it a little.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Nice grab - that definitely was a postal, and it looks like it still mostly is. Even though I don't want any more Ls or LIs, I'd still have a hard time passing up a decent postal tractor :fing02:

·
Super Moderator
13,248 Posts
Congrats on the new machine!

Can't answer the question about if the decals are already available but I bet if you take it to a local printing shop you can have them re-made. I did that with my Deere compressor... no chance of finding decals... so for 3 decals it was 50 bucks in computer time then I found some folks that wanted them so I had 6 sets printed to reduce the cost. Surely other folks would like those decals :fing32:

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,976 Posts

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys. I couldn't pass this one up.

Thank you also for the information on the decals. This tractor isn't on my priority list for restoration, I still have to finish the C10A :hide: , but I will check into getting decals made. Of course, sets will be available if there's a demand. I just want to get it running first.

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
Nice find DJ! It's always good to see a postal fall into the right hands.:fing32:

I can almost recall your mentioning hearing about this machine some time ago. We were all trying to get you to bring it home, and you were trying to be "good" and not yield to GAS. GAS always wins in the end though.:D

·
16,345 Posts
OK--DJ, me being a little 'thick' betwixt the ears sometimes--explain to the unknowing what a 'postal LI' is?? Like in the US Mail?

Be right back--:coffee:

glenn

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Welcome to the mostly postal club Dj. Nice score

P1000952.JPG Here was mine after getting it in pieces pretty much. And put her together again. Missing its postal tag handle bars and shift rods but otherwise was complete. If I find a postal shroud I'll restore mine :thThumbsU

Heres hopeing it runs as good as mine :trink39:

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . GAS always wins in the end though.:D
Like certain things "happen", GAS has gotta go somewhere!

Glenn: Postals are machines used by the UPS. Delivered with a different paint color and unique ID tag. Walk behind guys and collectors prize them.

Congratulations DJ, couldn't go to a better home.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Glenn: Postals are machines used by the UPS. Delivered with a different paint color and unique ID tag. Walk behind guys and collectors prize them.
If they were used by UPS, wouldn't they have a chocolate brown paint scheme,, :dunno:

:sidelaugh

:fing32: Of course, with GAS, you might expect a missing "S",, :drunkie:

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
If they were used by UPS, wouldn't they have a chocolate brown paint scheme,, :dunno:

:sidelaugh

:fing32: Of course, with GAS, you might expect a missing "S",, :drunkie:
Correct John! uspS! Guess I better be watching my "S's" - probably some kind of syndrome not discovered yet, solved by cutting back on coffee.

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's a lot of things I watch around a Gravely! :biglaugh:

Like the guys said Glenn, the US Postal Service bought these machines for use at the individual Post Offices. This one came was bought new and used at a facility not far from me at all. According to the fellow I bought it from I am the third owner and this machine never had an attachment on the front other than the blade it has on it. The mount that's on this one is a home made deal. It's different, but it's not a bad job and it does swivel to let the blade tilt side to side as well as turn side to side like the original. I'll post some pictures in the next day or so.

Thanks again for the support guys. I really want this to run again and eventually I'll make it pretty again.

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just saw that one. Admittedly, that one is in better condition but his BIN price is much higher than what I paid for mine. Mine has issues, of course, but I picked it up for only $100.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I just saw that one. Admittedly, that one is in better condition but his BIN price is much higher than what I paid for mine. Mine has issues, of course, but I picked it up for only $100.

Nice, a $100.00 for a "special purpose" Gravely is quite nice, I would think that this machine has very low hours being it was only used for snow removial, what issues does it have?

Sent from the MTF Free App using a device with auto correct

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
There's a lot of things I watch around a Gravely! :biglaugh:

Like the guys said Glenn, the US Postal Service bought these machines for use at the individual Post Offices. This one came was bought new and used at a facility not far from me at all. According to the fellow I bought it from I am the third owner and this machine never had an attachment on the front other than the blade it has on it. The mount that's on this one is a home made deal. It's different, but it's not a bad job and it does swivel to let the blade tilt side to side as well as turn side to side like the original. I'll post some pictures in the next day or so.

Thanks again for the support guys. I really want this to run again and eventually I'll make it pretty again.

Mine's in similar condition to yours DJ, is also a '61 model and was used for several years at the downtown Traverse City Post Office. This tractor had both a blade and a broom with it. As you know the yellow paint is notoriously poor in quality and the PO didn't help things by throwing a non-breathable cover on top of the tractor for a few years. Would like to keep it original, but the paint degradation may dictate otherwise....

:dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
That's a pretty good find DJ.
The guy I bought my 5200 from had at least one postal L and a few military ones. One was Navy and I think the others were Army, it was a few years ago. I wish I knew then what I know now about them, I'd have come home with one of those too.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts