My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just picked up this JD LX255 today. We are trading some parts and labor on three other riders for it. It doesn't run, no spark. We pulled the ground on the coil and still no spark so we figure that's the problem. It has a bagger also that we still have to pick up.

Attachments

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Nice score. I always liked the LX series tractor.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picked up the bagger today. It was missing one bag and the other had a hole in it. Just so happens that last week we picked up two bagger remnants and one is the same with two good bags. :trink40:

Attachments

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Nice find good luck with it. slkpk

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The new coil showed up today. We've got spark. Shot a little starting fluid in the carb and it fired up , then died. We checked for fuel flow to the pump and it had flow. Problem was it was flowing water.:banghead3 So the next thing was to pull the bowl off the carb. Nothing but dry crud and the float valve was stuck. We then pulled the whole carb and cleaned it up and blew it out without tearing it completely apart. Decided to try it and it fired up and ran. It was coughing and sputtering a little at first, I think we still might have a little water in the fuel system, but the longer it ran the better it sounded. I was thinking about pouring some Seafoam in and see if that helps. You can see the water we got out of it, almost a pint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Eww that's a lot of water good thing it doesn't rain around here :hide:

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eww that's a lot of water good thing it doesn't rain around here :hide:
That's what I was thinkin'. How did water get in it in western Washington. :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Yea my cows are:Disgus: there pushed up by the front fence the back half of the field has water standing in it after the monsoon this weekend

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While test driving the LX255 I ran the mower deck and it seems to make a lot of noise. I'm wondering if I have some bad bearings in the spindle's or if these just make a lot of noise. I guess I should pull the deck and check the spindles. Are the spindle's on these rebuildable ?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Remove the blades and then fire up the motor and engage the PTO. Most likely every bearing on the deck is shot. On my 38" deck I replaced the bearings in the spindles and the double pulley and replaced the remaining idler that don't have replaceble bearings.

You should replace the drive idlers while you have the deck off and also inspect the tranny drive belt. If it's like the LX178 you can easily replace the drive belt after pulling the idlers.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I decided to pressure wash the LX255. It looks a little better, but the paint and plastic are pretty dull. I'll probably run the buffer over it to shine it up some. One edge of the fender deck is scraped so that needs to be painted. Got the bagger hung on it also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I pulled the blades off like rayjay was saying. It still makes a lot of noise. I guess a deck rebuild is in my future. here is a short vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsBeK9A_n_w

And a few pics of the blades. Are these a mid lift blades? I was thinking with the bagger it should have hi-lift blades.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Deck sounds a little noisy for sure. For your starting and throttling up issue, try some Seafoam in the gas, I had same issue when I bought my used GX345 and that fixed those 2 problems. Or, carb could use a good cleaning.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I pulled the belt off of the mower deck spindle's, one is smooth and quiet, the other is rough and noisy. I then shot some grease into them. I got some rusty water out of the noisy one. The tension idler seems smooth and quiet. Still need to check the drive pulley which I will do when I pull the deck.

A little more water showed up in the carb today so I pulled it again and blew out the fuel lines. I then let the fuel line from the tank drain into a glass pitcher. I drained about a gallon of gas and got about a tablespoon of water right at first, then clean fuel. I put it back together and drove it for about 1/2 an hour. Its running better than ever and so far no more water is showing up in the clear fuel filter. I think I'll keep adding seafoam for several tanks. I still wonder how that much water got in it in the first place. Maybe water in a gas can or someone left the gas cap off. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
My bet is someone left the gas cap off or better yet a kid took it off yea ask me how that could be possible :banghead3

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dropped the deck tonight and pulled the noisy mandrel. Then pressed the shaft out and drove the bearings out with a brass drift. We'll see if we can get some bearings tomorrow. I checked the tension idler again and it does make some noise. The drive pulley feels good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found a crack in the deck around the right side lift bracket. I suppose at this point, since the deck needs to be welded, I should just go ahead and paint it. I know you can get all of the safety/belt decals, but can you get a replacement Model/serial # decal. Has anyone ever looked into this?

First 2 pics are from the top side, the third is from underneath.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Made a trip to the dealer and picked up the bearings, hi-lift blades, and idler.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts