My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mows Too Much Gr***
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there mower nuts. Been real busy so I haven't posted in a while. I thought you all might want to see what I grabbed for $50 today. It's got some surface rust on the handle and some flaking paint but ****, it's basically a commercial machine for $50. The best part is of course that Suzuki 2-cycle. Runs like a champ! BBC as well. I have some plans for it. Commercial wheels once these are toast, and I would love to put a newer commercial handle w/bail on it like on my other Toro. This mower is going to work for sure. :thThumbsU It's so cool to have another Toro w/Suzuki!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
very nice-hard to beat the toro suzuki combo for comm mowing. i have 3 working at the momunt. one has 19 comm seasons on it!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Looks like the one I got several months ago...

It runs great just have not had a chance to clean it up and see if I want to keep it..

Good Fine...

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
19 Commercial Seasons! If that isnt a statement/testimony about build quality, I dont know what is.

Best wishes,
Bob

·
2 strokes forever!
471 Posts
That's exactly what I'm looking for locally here at that price as a back up to my 10550 LB. Good job on snatching that one up!

·
Mows Too Much Gr***
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah Dan you're right about the Toro/Zuki combo. Some people might be surprised when they hear that a mower has 19 commercial seasons on it and still works fine LOL but not me! My other (true comm) one is on it's 9th year of commercial cutting or something like that( got it used) and aside from a few minor repairs it's been awesome. It was a little rough when I got it, I've replaced the handle, welded the bail, replaced belts, etc. but has never failed to cut a lawn for me. When I saw this one, it's sooo similar I couldn't pass it up for $50, although when I see what some of you guys pull from the trash I feel like I got ripped off! j/k it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Very nice! I am a Toro fanactic. I have a 20482, which has a 4-cycle 6 hp Briggs with 3 speed self-propel and BBC. I love that machine! It has never let me down. And I have two 20442's with 1 speed self-propel and a 2-cycle 4.5 hp "Lawn-Boy V" engine. They are good machines. But, I dream of having a Proline! Very nice find for $50! What model is the Proline in your avatar? 22040? Here is my 20482 after a well deserved bath.

Attachments

·
Mows Too Much Gr***
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Timberwolf if you have to be a fanatic there's worse mowers to pick. The one in your pic has a recycler deck. That was a good deck, I had a personal pace with one and I liked it. Whenever my wife mowed she went for the personal pace every time but for hills it was no good. It was destroyed after 5 years of light comm duty.
The $50 toro isn't technically a Proline, but, it's basically the same machine except for the wheels, and it looks like it's missing the belt guard underneath. It will be updated to full comm spec. Personally, I like both Toros and LBs for different reasons/uses. I have used a lot of different mowers and they are just the best all around. I wouldn't consider any new commercial mower except a Toro or maybe Exmark. But I'll keep buying old LB's as long as I can find em as well. There was another 20684 fs here for $35 but I just missed it.
Without looking at the label I'm pretty sure that my Proline is a 22040. The guy I bought the 20684 from had another one just like it with a 4 cycle engine, but I wanted the 2 cycle. Funny, I own 6 lawnmowers and all 5 of the 21" mowers are 2 cycle. 3 LB's and 2 Toros. LOL I mow too many hills for a four stroke.
OMG it's 3:30 am I gotta go to bed instead of thinking about mowers.
LOL

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
too bad your new 50$ toro is bbc-these are a real pain to use esp for comm use. the way toro put the sp bail and bbc control all into one makes it very diff to use in actual practice. another case of the engineer who desighned the machine never having to actually use it . i pass on every toro with bbc that i find. my 19 yrold suzuki actually came on a landscaper but out lasted the chassis!-its now on a used pro line that i got with a bad engine . its never had a major repair-just carb /gov linkage . i have 2 almost new prolines in reserve so i will prob have a pro line the rest of my life.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Well Timberwolf if you have to be a fanatic there's worse mowers to pick. The one in your pic has a recycler deck. That was a good deck, I had a personal pace with one and I liked it. Whenever my wife mowed she went for the personal pace every time but for hills it was no good. It was destroyed after 5 years of light comm duty.
The $50 toro isn't technically a Proline, but, it's basically the same machine except for the wheels, and it looks like it's missing the belt guard underneath. It will be updated to full comm spec. Personally, I like both Toros and LBs for different reasons/uses. I have used a lot of different mowers and they are just the best all around. I wouldn't consider any new commercial mower except a Toro or maybe Exmark. But I'll keep buying old LB's as long as I can find em as well. There was another 20684 fs here for $35 but I just missed it.
Without looking at the label I'm pretty sure that my Proline is a 22040. The guy I bought the 20684 from had another one just like it with a 4 cycle engine, but I wanted the 2 cycle. Funny, I own 6 lawnmowers and all 5 of the 21" mowers are 2 cycle. 3 LB's and 2 Toros. LOL I mow too many hills for a four stroke.
OMG it's 3:30 am I gotta go to bed instead of thinking about mowers.
LOL
Then I would like to stay away from personal pace! LOL. If I were ever to buy a new commercial, it would probably be a Toro, Exmark, or Snapper(Exmark probably, as it is basically a Toro Proline, but with some better features IMHO). My Super Recycler (20482) is good enough for me for now. I don't mow too many lawns, but eventually a Proline may be of need.:thThumbsU

·
Mows Too Much Gr***
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
LB Dan, can I replace the older handle/bbc/bail with one from a proline? That's what I was thinking I would do if the BBC mechanism ever stops working right. Also, is it possible to modify it so that it is non bbc? I've never had an issue with using Toro's BBC, but any employee I have ever let use it hates the BBC/SP bail LOL. It just takes some getting used to.

·
100% Toro
36 Posts
I bought a 20684 this spring for $55.

And I just traded it even for a mint 1949 Evinrude 5.4hp 4 cylinder outboard in nice original condition with a cruddy parts motor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts