My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 on my Ruger 10/22. I know the scope is a little overkill for a .22 but for the price, I couldn't pass it up. Should I sight the scope in at 50, 75, or 100 yards. This is solely for squirrels and nuisance critters here. Most extreme shot is 100, average shots are 50-75. See my problem? Post up, let me know something!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'd scope it in for your common shots and practice well to learn the elevations needed for everything else. Likely I'd sight in at 50 and just learn how much elevation to use for 75 & 100.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is what the general consensus is on a shooting website I frequent.
RSD. :goodl:

Use to sight in at 50 and just try my best to estimate range and hold over....but drop gets so drastic past 65 yards that estimating the range within 5 yards makes a difference.

Started sighting in at 75yards. Will be about 1 to 1.2" high at 50yards, and about 2 3/4" to 3" low at 100, but at least for the first 80 80 yards, aren't too bothered by hold over/range estimation (but the drop still requires real good range estimation past 80yards).

To tell the 100% truth, I'd rather not use a .22LR past 75yards... just not real impressed with the bullet performance past that distance. Can hit them way-way out there if you know the drop and know the exact yardage, but the results aren't real impressive.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So 75 yards us a safe bet! Sounds like s plan....

·
Registered
294 Posts
I always stuck to head shots on squirrels so I would sight in at 60 yds and I was good to go for hunting. For longer shots, I learned my trajectory. At that point I was removing *****, opossums, and ground hogs so the targets were larger and left a little more room for error. Now I have reduced loads worked up for my .223 that do a much better job on vermin at 90~150 yds without alerting the entire county.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts