My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share a few pics of some additional school district Gravely's that I was fortunate enough to recently acquire.

I've managed to get the two Pro 8's up and going - both tractors are very smooth running, powerful machines. The '88 Pro 8 was slightly more challenging, as someone had improperly attached the hi-lo linkage and 2 of the 3 safety switch relays ended up being defective.

Haven't had a chance yet to work on the Pro 12, but it looks to be another promising tractor. This acquisition represents the longest distance I've reached out yet to grab a Gravely - some 1700 miles - but it was worth it!

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
looks like its in nice shape! i would figure that most school machines are well kept since most towns cant afford new ones every 5 years

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Very nice machine. It does look like it was well cared for.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Nice job Kip! I saw that auction timing was off and I didn't want to deal with freight.

How much did the freight guy get for those 3 delivered to Michigan ?

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don - thanks for running the serial/model numbers for me. Once again we saw some aberrations in Gravely's record keeping system.

Mark - I believe I came in at right around $550 shipping - pretty good for that distance, given the weight (nearly 1900 lbs). Not sure if I would do it again though - the logistics were very challenging.

I'm debating letting the earlier Pro 8 go. It's a lower hour machine as evidenced by the condition of the muffler - but probably has a few more hours than the 83 indicated on the meter. But you guys know how the ball rolls - tough to let go of 'em once they're under your roof.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
$550 ain't to shabby for shipping! My first Briggs w/40" QH Commercial deck came in around $300 shipped from the John Deere dealer in Michigan.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$550 ain't to shabby for shipping! My first Briggs w/40" QH Commercial deck came in around $300 shipped from the John Deere dealer in Michigan.
The shipping was a bargain - considering that I'd just spent $300 to have 2 other Pro's shipped in from Iowa. As is sometimes the case with auctions, there was a fair amount of risk involved here - I obviously couldn't inspect the machines myself, didn't know anyone in the area that could and therefore had to rely on the information provided and my knowledge of typical municipal care. Getting the stars to align with the school and the shipper was challenging - I won't be running out to do it again anytime real soon.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick update here - all of the machines are running/sounding good. I'd saved the Pro 12 till last to work on - and I didn't even try cranking the machines when I uncrated them and loaded them up (figuring that they'd sat for a lengthy period of time, so why bother attempting it). So on Sat. I decided to turn the switch on the Pro 12 and she cranked over. I checked the oil levels, freed up the throttle/choke cables (looks like some salt/rust action there) and cranked her again. Fired right up!! Brought her down to an idle - ran extremely nice. Kicked myself a couple times for having lugged the big girl around when I didn't have to - but I was very happy to find that the bulk of her needs are cosmetic based.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Kicked myself a couple times for having lugged the big girl around when I didn't have to -
Now that is funny, pushing around a tractor that runs! Sometimes we asume the worst for no reason. I'm usually on the other end of it, thinking everything should be fine, and ending up with a train wreck! Glad your gamble paid off, nice tractors, enjoy them. ED

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Now that is funny, pushing around a tractor that runs! Sometimes we asume the worst for no reason. I'm usually on the other end of it, thinking everything should be fine, and ending up with a train wreck! Glad your gamble paid off, nice tractors, enjoy them. ED
:ditto::ditto:

That is usually my luck too.

That's great news on the machines, Goose. Just reaffirms that you made a great score. :fing32:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts