My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idk if this has been posted before, but after cutting grass on a fairly steep hillside today I thought about this post...

I will classify these "ROPS" moments into 4 categories.

Cat 1: mild anal sphincter tightening, mild adrenaline rush, possible leakage of fecal material and solid reminder that u should get insurance.

an example of a "cat 1" ROPS moment would be using the FEL, digging a ditch accidently and flying over the ditch and being flung violently around the cab. All the while laughing and possibly bleeding "internally"

Cat 2: possible anal rupture, immediate shriveling of adrenal glands, enough pepsin released in gastric antrum to cause instant disintegration of stomach lining.

example: rolling over a tree stump, with tractor airborne, and using "your weight" to stabilize a 3 ton machine. All the time hoping you said enough Hail Mary's because you were sure this was your time...

Cat 3: or "the living legend" you've been there... All the other category's except 4 are for pre-pubescent girls... Yes you HAVE rolled your tractor and lived to tell about it... Your Sir are a living Legend...

Cat 4: "The ROPS Martyr' you have died for your cause... You rolled, and either your ROPS failed* or your were flung around and didn't make it... You are a Modern Day Deity. Similar to Elvis, who died on his throne as a King should, you have laid down your life while trying to eek out that last Hay bale down that embankment at dusk with one headlight... You knew it was risky but now your story lives on in John deere Folklore.

So let's have em' eh? :bannana:

Please list Category Type, event etc. You may have more than one event. Further if you are a Cat 4 I would prefer a friend or relative tell your story.

*ROPS failure is a much debated topic, and current literature points to the fact that ROPS failure does not count as John Deere martyrdom. Furthermore, this becomes a warrantee issue which John Deere does not cover. Most experts theorize that most ROPS failure victims are in John Deere purgatory having to test drive the latest Mahinda and Kubota tractors.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
When I was younger it used to be hold my beer and watch this:trink40: and now luckily they've been CAT 1:goodl: and be careful. So which one did you just have:sidelaugh slkpk

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
penna550

Only numerous Cat:1 calls for me, and I never want to go any further than that either! :fing32:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was younger it used to be hold my beer and watch this:trink40: and now luckily they've been CAT 1:goodl: and be careful. So which one did you just have:sidelaugh slkpk
The tree stump incident when the tractor was airborne was my worst incident. A Cat 2... I have 29 hrs on a 3 week old tractor, is that normal?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
3 category # 3's for me.:eek:mg: :i_praying :duh:

Having a ROPs is for sissies. A real man rolls riding lawnmowers with the blades running. The blades should actually be called, The whirling blades of death" because even though the motor will kill when your lame a$$ falls of the seat, the whirling blades of death do not stop instantly.

One time when tipping over on a slope mowing, I landed on my back but had the presence of mind to deflect the mower away from my self with my feet so it didn't get me. Ended up with a couple very nasty bruises though.

After the above encounters I told the wife I was going to buy a SCUT with ROPS because I wasn't thrilled about dying while cutting grass. The stability of the JD 2305 is no comparision to a riding mower.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Many moons ago I double clutched a rider loading it on a pick-up. Had a tractor in my lap. Now I back on or use a come along.
Without a doubt CATIII!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many moons ago I double clutched a rider loading it on a pick-up. Had a tractor in my lap. Now I back on or use a come along.
nice... CAT 3 I assume?

·
15,000 +posts!
20,408 Posts
I had a CAT "2" at last,when I used my 600 Ford's loader to pick up a 55 gallon drum filled with concrete out of a truck bed ,that was going to be used as a counterweight for the tractor--.

I'd replaced a rear tire and rim,and had to drain out the calcium from both rear tires,and for some reason,I didn't think much about that,and I backed away from the truck rather quickly,and cut the wheels,and the heavy weight swung like a pendulum,and with each swing,the rear tire of the tractor came higher and higher off the ground!!--on the third swing,it was dancing on one rear tire,then I finally "unfroze" and hit the loader control,and dropped the load ,so fast it punched a big hole in my driveway's asphalt..

It took me several smokes and about an hour to get my heart rate back to near normal,and I had a new respect for how fast a tractor can kill you once it gets out of control!..it scared me enough to convince me to sell it a month later!..now I know better than to ever drive a loader tractor with the bucket UP more than a foot off the ground or as LOW as possible,especially if you aint got loaded tires or a counterweight!..though I was standing still when it happened,it was probably the scariest ride of my life!..

·
Registered
639 Posts
I was Cat 2 last Spring, hoping to let it be at that! If the loader hadn't caught the sideboard on the dumptrailer, it would have been Cat 3. That was the closest I've been to laying one over in the 43 years I've been operating equipment. I really don't want to join that club.

·
Registered
115 Posts
penna 550,
Interesting topic and replies! Even if in fun, it is good to remind ourselves we are sometimes lucky even when we try to be careful. I hate to see that tractor on its' side any information on how they fared? Man, that dancing tractor story I can relate to and it seems funny now knowing all is well except the spot in the drive! I do all I have to on a hill and for that reason even mowing I wanted a rops so I did not end up in a situation like c5rulz. I got a BX1500 because it was small enough to mow the yard but heavy and low enough for some stability on the hill. I was working with the FEL moving dirt and gravel when I turned on the hill and even though I keep the FEL low and the rear tires are filled the back tire began to come off the ground and I immediately dropped the FEL and settled it down before I rolled down into the back of the house! On this hill I have to be careful everytime even when I mow and know where and when I need to go up and down the hill and when and where I can traverse it. Good post to keep us al a little more aware. I consider my situation a cat1 but have had at least a couple on this hill. Take care-TPS

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
I decided once that I was going to push a pine tree over with my FEL. The
tree recently died but was still fresh. Put the tree almost down and it raised me and tractor up. Cat II? Had to change my shorts.LOL

·
Registered
137 Posts
Next to the county road along the front of our property, I mow the roadside ditch, which is only a cat. 1 sideslope for my stable SCUT Kubota BX2350 with ROPS... a cat. 3 for a rider (basically, a rider would spin a rear tire and game over as far as traction goes and need to get pushed out of there, or flip over- take your choice). Few weeks ago I went a little too far down in the ditch, so the low side of the 60" MMM buried into the dirt in the bottom of the "V" of the ditch. I was in 4-low. Hit the diff lock and it buried itself down further--- the left blade was cutting the dirt at this point. Turned to the right, determined/adrenaline-rush not to get stuck. Ended up popping a wheelie --front wheels off the ground, up over the top rim of the ditch (level with the front lawn grade) and rear wheels in the bottom of the ditch. Checked traffic on the road-- clear in both directions, so I popped her in reverse, straight back in differential lock and she popped right out onto the road. The judges would say only a cat. 2, but it felt like a 3 in my lil mind! The ditch is still all torn-up where this happened. The SCUT refuses, ever, to truly get stuck. Amazing machines, and the stability of these puppies is awesome. Now if this tractor owner could just live up to the nice design/strength of these machines, things would be alot safer/less exciting around here!! When I'm running the FEL and boxblade, or rototiller 3point I never run near a slope like this, and slopes on the back of the property that I do run I run them pretty much up and down, never on the side. and I run extremely slowly over bumps on the property that're on level ground, even where there's almost no danger of flipping. In short, I think I'm less cautious while mowing w/ only the belly mower than while using heavy front/rear implements.
Mike

·
Gone Green
90 Posts
Until recently, nearly every time I mowed around a certain section of field I'd have a CAT 1 experience....go slow...drop the bucket...once again weigh the merits of having my seatbelt on and trusting the ROPS or jumping for it. Then I finally replaced the soft stock turf tires with some Super Swampers (33x12.5x15). MUCH better traction and no more pucker! :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have had a couple cat 1s. Was moving 10 tons of river rock for a guy and was in a hurry as it was getting ready to rain. This was in suburbia so i was headed up a curb from the street with a full load of rock. Had the load a bit too high, wasnt in 4wd as i was on the street. As i come up the curb, the rear wheel comes off the ground and the tractor starts to tip. I quickly get my foot off the go pedal, hit the diff lock and get up the curb before it tips over. Turns out there was a pretty good hole that one of the front tires sunk in and thats why the machine got so tippy.

Thad

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have had a couple cat 1s. Was moving 10 tons of river rock for a guy and was in a hurry as it was getting ready to rain. This was in suburbia so i was headed up a curb from the street with a full load of rock. Had the load a bit too high, wasnt in 4wd as i was on the street. As i come up the curb, the rear wheel comes off the ground and the tractor starts to tip. I quickly get my foot off the go pedal, hit the diff lock and get up the curb before it tips over. Turns out there was a pretty good hole that one of the front tires sunk in and thats why the machine got so tippy.

Thad
I would categorize that more as a CAT 2 due to the complete loss of traction... Did you feel death was imminent, or was it more property damage concern?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have found that a good lawn tractor can pull a full-size buick downhill only...on the uphill,they do wheelies and you find yourself being dragged down backwards on your back by the car...

·
New GC2400 Owner
22 Posts
Not really sure what mine rate as..but I have truely enjoyed reading stories that are too similar to mine....

I was working on the back of my property and I was scalping some old ground with the FEL and pushing down off an old ledge created when my house was built 10 yrs ago. Not knowing, I was pushing a big old stump with the bucket and creating a big hole underneath my front tire....well the front tire hit the hole and the whole tractor tilted down and to the left, lifting the rear tires off the ground and loosing all rear traction. Well a well placed panic dump of the FEL and down pressure saved the forward/left roll and I was able to get enough down pressure to fill in the hole a bit. I built up around the bucket, again down pressured, lifted the front tires..filled in, so on and so on..till I was able to back out.......that was a few drink relaxer....lol.

:fing20:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts